Who wants the Private Lines back? Me, You, not the MTA

obregonmichael5

Here's the thing; if the reincarnated PBLs were more efficient and less top-heavy than the MTA, and more focused on vehicle safety and reliability (including maintenance) than they were originally, then by all means they should return and by all means let the MTA deal with a little competitiion (who knows, it might actually lead to citywide improved service).

That said, if I'm to go on what B35 and others have said, a lot of the Brooklyn and Queens PBLs were notoriously unreliable, maintained their vehicles less than Fung Wah does, and in certain cases (the Q53 and the B103 come to mind) seriously underserved their respective rider bases. Based on that I'd say that I'd be more than happy to see Liberty Lines, probably NYBS, and possibly QSC come back but I'd rather let the MTA keep most of the other ex-private lines.

If anything IMO as i stated before the only way private bus service should return to NYC is this possiblity. Only on the Manhattan "express' routes. Meaning the (MTA) would still own and operate the routes i.e All "X" and "BXM/BM/QM routes but contracted to 1-2 private companies. Just an idea and not endorsing it.

Sort of how NJ Transit contracts out to Coach USA and Lakeland for running a few lines in the state..

If anything IMO as i stated before the only way private bus service should return to NYC is this possiblity. Only on the Manhattan "express' routes. Meaning the (MTA) would still own and operate the routes i.e All "X" and "BXM/BM/QM routes but contracted to 1-2 private companies. Just an idea and not endorsing it.

Sort of how NJ Transit contracts out to Coach USA and Lakeland for running a few lines in the state..

Interesting idea in theory. But in reality that would lead to massive layoffs if the MTA suddenly did not need to cover all of the EXp routes.

Everything is improving under the MTA.

Used to have to wait sometimes close to or more than an hour for a bus to show up. Then there were some periods where the buses were showing up and then nothing for a while. The maintance was bad especially at Triboro Coach, and Green Lines. At that time in 2004 and 2005 the newest bus of the PBL the 1997-1999 at Triboro were breaking down a lot.

Some people say that the NYBS,LL and QSC should return but I say it doesn't any sense, I would rather everything be operated the same so there is no confusions.

This MTAB and NYCT merger is taking forever though, I can't wait until all the buses say New York City Bus, have standard Bus signs, guide a rides and routes can go to any depot. Like the Q20 Q76, Q13 can go to CP. the Q64 could go to CS. The Q112 could go to JA and so on. Isn't it dumb that the MTA doesn't want to change all MTAB signs to the newer ones and take the old signs off the phone or light poles?

NJT really contracts local routes only out to Coach USA, Academy, and Veolia in some areas. The Coach USA and Academy-branded (contract operations operate under the NJT brand), Lakeland, Decamp, etc. operations are directly controlled by the PBLs. Any bus that doesn't carry the NJT brand is directly-controlled by the PBL, even if the bus is owned by NJT.

As far as doing something like that with the MTA goes, I don't see why that would be necessary. The express operations run fine under the MTA right now.

No WAY!!! The (MTA) has improved service a lot and we dont need to go back to that era of unreliable service. You would almost kill yourself sometimes just waiting for the Q8,Q9,Q41, Q22, Q19, Q102, B100, BM4 and the BM5(BQM1). If they went back to PBL days there will be no bustime, no Guide A Rides, Limited schedule information and so on. It was better that they all came part of the (MTA). The few routes in the PBL that had good service was the Q10, Q64(Q65A), Q110,Q111,Q113 and Q66 sometimes.

but what if the PBL was controlled by thye (MTA) ?

Archived