2012 Late Night Subway Service Map

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-48599000-1349835543_thumb.jpg[/float]I got a chance to pass by the 36 Street station to pick up a night map and scan it.

"The night map was developed in-house by the MTA and like the standard map it folds into a handy pocket-sized document. There's more -- the reverse side of the map shows a work commissioned for MTA Arts for Transit, The Home of the Stars, created by artist Ellen Harvey, is a large-scaled series of mosaic panels that grace the walls of the pedestrian overpass of Metro-North Railroad's Yankees - E. 153rd Street Station in the Bronx."

2012 Late Night Subway Service Map

post-5097-0-02417100-1349835556_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-48599000-1349835543_thumb.jpg

post-5097-0-02417100-1349835556_thumb.jpg

This is pretty cool but the MTA should never spend a dime on printing one of these. Instead they should take the money that would be used to print these maps up and buy LCD monitors that are hook up to computers that can display the current map at that time. They can even run ads on them and give up to the second information for the line(s) that is running threw the station. The MTA needs to stop thinking that we live in the 70's and actually need paper maps. granted there is always a need to have a map but with the population with internet access in there pockets and the LCD monitors showing the maps near the Station Agents booths.

@Noflexdont: So what you're saying is that they should expand the On the Go travel station program to more stations. Hey, I'm all for that, as long as these things eventually pay for themselves in terms of advertising revenue. Also it would be nice if they got some kind of deal like they did with Cisco Systems, where it didn't cost the MTA a dime for the initial installation.

@Quill Depot: Bleecker St is shown as one station instead of two on the new map per the opening of the new transfer.

Lance what I'm saying is that they pay an arm and leg for printing cost. After a passenger grabs it and uses it. it most likely going to toss it after use or going in there home very to be used again. Offering the maps on a screen would eliminate that. I wish the MTA partner up with NYC tech schools and let them do a station over as a pilot program.

Archived