NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

I really think Joe Johnson could use the help from KG, have a good solid player in that PF spot to help him out and star Lopez, but I really don't think Paul Pierce is going to be what the Nets want him to be. Pierce is way past his prime, he just isn't a playoff caliber person anymore in my mind.

Agreed.... KG helps this team way more than Pierce would... Outside of Lopez, the Nets have a bunch of big men that don't score consistently..... Pierce is 35 goin on 50 & doesn't provide much more value than Johnson already does....

Howard on the Rockets, well the Rockets could really use a spotlight kind of person, Harden put some great numbers up, but I really don't think he should be the star of that team, he needs a few more years to develop into a better player, not saying that he isn't amazing already. But I am really interested to see how this plays out, the Rockets actually had a pretty good roster without Howard.

I think Howard chose the right team... From what I last heard, his options/considerations were Dallas, Houston, Golden State, or back with the Lakers.....

The way I see it, of those 4 teams, the Rockets are the best fit.... That scrub Asik (who now wants a trade, now that Howard's a rocket) can kick rocks & ride pine for some other team for all I care.... IMO, Dallas was the worst possible choice of the 4 (even over going back to the Lakers); they got rid of that turnover machine OJ Mayo to the Bucks IINM, so they don't have much of anyone on that squad - aside from an aging Nowitzki..... I'm not sure what Golden State is doing, having signed Iguodala & gotten rid of Jarrett Jack (to the Cavs).... He (Howard) would've been of some help to David Lee & the rest of the Warriors franchise, so I think the Warriors would've been the next best fit of the 4.... But since he wants to win a 'ship, his chances are better with Houston than they are w/ Golden State......

As for Harden, I must be the only person on this stratosphere (lol) that thinks he is overrated & gets more praise than he deserves.... He reminds me of the way Nick Van Exel used to play, back when he was on those Dallas teams w/ Nash, Nowitzki, Finley, etc.....

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howard wouldn't fit in Golden State, too many star players there already. It is going to be interesting to see how Iguodala affects the already amazing backcourt. But I really think Golden State is going to be a very good team next year. Despite losing in the playoffs, they played very well for a young and inexperienced playoff team.

Howard wouldn't fit in Golden State, too many star players there already. It is going to be interesting to see how Iguodala affects the already amazing backcourt. But I really think Golden State is going to be a very good team next year. Despite losing in the playoffs, they played very well for a young and inexperienced playoff team.

Yeah, Howard's personality wouldn't make him a fit in Golden state.... I was referring to his skill set.....

Of those 4 teams, the only 2 teams that have playoff potential next season are the Warriors & the Rockets.....

Anyway, I think that starting backcourt of the Warriors got a little worse.... Jack & Curry were the perfect storm, Curry & Iguodala forces Curry to be more of a PG (something he himself admittedly wants to get better at).... Iguodala is a better penetrator than Jack, but Jack is a better shooter (and obviously a better passer).... Iguodala's game is similar to JR Smith's, Curry is more of a shooter than he is a slasher..... I'd want Curry taking more shots than Iguodala, but with the way it's looking now, he may end up being a little more of a ball distributor....

Iguodala's by no means a scrub, but I just liked the dynamic that a Jack/Curry backcourt brought more than a Curry/Iguodala sounds like it would bring (realizing how each of those 3 player's games' are).....

The Warriors will still make the playoffs; probably a solid 4 seed or so, as the west overall is starting to get weaker.....

Yeah, Howard's personality wouldn't make him a fit in Golden state.... I was referring to his skill set.....

Of those 4 teams, the only 2 teams that have playoff potential next season are the Warriors & the Rockets.....

Anyway, I think that starting backcourt of the Warriors got a little worse.... Jack & Curry were the perfect storm, Curry & Iguodala forces Curry to be more of a PG (something he himself admittedly wants to get better at).... Iguodala is a better penetrator than Jack, but Jack is a better shooter (and obviously a better passer).... Iguodala's game is similar to JR Smith's, Curry is more of a shooter than he is a slasher..... I'd want Curry taking more shots than Iguodala, but with the way it's looking now, he may end up being a little more of a ball distributor....

Iguodala's by no means a scrub, but I just liked the dynamic that a Jack/Curry backcourt brought more than a Curry/Iguodala sounds like it would bring (realizing how each of those 3 player's games' are).....

The Warriors will still make the playoffs; probably a solid 4 seed or so, as the west overall is starting to get weaker.....

I was also referring to his skill set. Look what happened to the Lakers when they tried the same thing with their new big 3. Stacking 3 stars and 1 potential star on a team with barely no playing experience is not going to produce a better result than that. Sure, Golden State would try to use Howard on the inside, but then that would sort of shift their shooting identity to more of a post team, and there is the potential that they might start overfeeding Howard, exactly what the Lakers did.

But you have to remember Iguodala was playing a pretty good Point Forward role for the 76ers. It might not be his natural position but he plays it very well, so you never know who that is going to turn out. I just think Curry's numbers are going to have to drop a little in order to make room for the slashing scoring of Iguodala, expect to see a lot of drive and kicks from the two of them. I think that Iguodala can play a good distribution role, but agreed, his shooting needs to improve. Curry can still play more of that SG role, I don't see any change happening with that.

I never really paid attention to Jack, but I am sure he is pretty good coming off the bench. The Warriors have a really strong bench. Oh definitely a playoff team. It is going to be interesting to see how they all mesh though.

I was also referring to his skill set. Look what happened to the Lakers when they tried the same thing with their new big 3. Stacking 3 stars and 1 potential star on a team with barely no playing experience is not going to produce a better result than that. Sure, Golden State would try to use Howard on the inside, but then that would sort of shift their shooting identity to more of a post team, and there is the potential that they might start overfeeding Howard, exactly what the Lakers did.

But you have to remember Iguodala was playing a pretty good Point Forward role for the 76ers. It might not be his natural position but he plays it very well, so you never know who that is going to turn out. I just think Curry's numbers are going to have to drop a little in order to make room for the slashing scoring of Iguodala, expect to see a lot of drive and kicks from the two of them. I think that Iguodala can play a good distribution role, but agreed, his shooting needs to improve. Curry can still play more of that SG role, I don't see any change happening with that.

I never really paid attention to Jack, but I am sure he is pretty good coming off the bench. The Warriors have a really strong bench. Oh definitely a playoff team. It is

going to be interesting to see how they all mesh though.

Jack is not with them anymore... He's on the Cavaliers now.

The Lakers problem (really) was hiring D'antoni in the first place; his offensive system is not conducive to scoring big men... Pau Gasol is just as unhappy as Howard was whilst on the Lakers.... Dwight is far more a defensive presence than Gasol, but the both of them are very much capable of putting up numbers as far as points & rebounds go..... D'antoni's system hinders Gasol's game just like it did Howard's... 

The Lakers kept pounding it into Howard large in part b/c outside of Kobe, who was their real potential offensive threat? You can't even say Gasol b/c FWIW, half the time he's not even on the court, and if he is, he was playing half-heartedly (so it would seem) & not even close to his potential.... Having inherited D'antoni with the personnel the Lakers had, was a match made in hell from the start.... It took a damn near superhuman effort by Kobe down the stretch just to get them the 8th seed (well 7th, because they had the tie-breaker over the Rockets).... I guess after that tweet he put out (about making the playoffs), for his sake, they had better had made the playoffs !

Basically what I'm saying is, if you are a "big" & don't want to be relegated to being a, Ben Wallace type of player when he was on the Pistons (a one-dimensional player existing to solely pulling down boards & being a defensive presence), then you should have no desire to be on any D'antoni coached team..... I see they (Lakers) just got Kaman - a slow-footed grossly overrated player that can knock down a jumper when he has to... Not a scoring threat whatsoever, he'll fit in perfectly under dude's system.....

The point you're making about Golden State turning into more of a post team.... I dunno, if you're gonna say that about the Warriors (relative to Howard), then you may as well make that point as to why Dwight wouldn't fit on the Rockets.... Houston was busy jacking up all them 3's also when they got Lin, Harden, and that other kid Parsons (I think his name is)..... I'm really not seeing how Howard would be so much worse a fit on the Warriors, compared to the Rockets (skill-set wise).....

Howard really wants to be on a championship ready team where he can be "the man", so to speak (which goes, in-part, to his personality).... Something like the situation he was in w/ the Orlando Magic, except with the team being championship ready - which clearly the Magic were not..... Guess he saw/noticed that that prototypical/ideal team does not exist in the NBA in 2013/14, and chose to go to the Rockets for 4/88 (on top of for w/e reasons none of us know of, that he did for)......

Iguodala was a good player on the sixers (after Iverson left the sixers in 05/06, somebody on the sixers had to step up, and Iguodala did so - pretty well, I might add)... Again, I'm not making him out to be a scrub.... I'm just not as high on him like quite a few other people are..... Although I will say that he'll definitely keep the Warriors as being playoff contenders......

Two 3 team deals done:

- Warriors get andre iguodala & kevin murphy

- Nuggets get randy foye

- Jazz get richard jefferson, andres biedrins, brandon rush, [2] 1st round picks, and [3] 2nd round picks

- Clippers get JJ redick & jared dudley

- Suns get eric bledsoe & caron butler

- Bucks get [2] 2nd round picks

=============================================

As far as these separate deals, I'd say the Warriors (easily) & Clippers got the best of their respective 3-team deals.... Warriors get a versatile player & the clippers get a much needed shooter.....

Lol..... The Knicks earlier on this month just gave away [3] draft picks of their own.....

Tellin ya, there is a rhyme & a reason you have so many teams nowadays willing to trade away draft picks like this...... The talent is just not out there like that.... Shame how these recent NBA draft classes have fallen off....

Is Toronto going to cover some of that guy's salary? I know the players toronto got is going to be pretty costly as a whole, but for the knicks to lose that many draft picks for a guy that has been on the decline makes no sense imo, even if camby is just going to stay injury prone here.

Nope... the knicks are eating it.

But I remember reading they actually saved 4-5 million taking on bargnani for the next 2 seasons, or something like that... I don't know what the whole story with that was.....

Yeah, not so much draft picks, but the amount of them for questionable players that wind up being a bust like Curry some years ago.

Who did Chicago get with the Knicks' draft pick?

Chicago had a deal they already had with Portland..... So really, the only player the Bulls got from draft picks from the Knicks (from that Curry trade) was Noah....

(I remember that draft night & the few day(s) after... quite a bit of NY-ers were pissed when they realized the Knicks could've had Noah)

* FYI, The Bulls could've had LaMarcus Aldridge back in 2006, but since they had that deal w/ portland, the Bulls had to give him up.... That's how Aldridge ended up on portland......

I'm assuming the 2 second rounders they got from the knicks were no-name bums that don't even play anymore...

Hem, seems like some 'creative' finances like the Yankees with Wells basically not counting against the luxury tax cap.

-

Read the nets taking on Garnett and Pierce will push them $44mil over the cap and taking an $80 mil hit. Shit, I know that russian guy was loaded, but that's way too steep a hit even if he thinks this team can get far in the 1-2 years he expects the players to play.

Yeah, I still think they should've taken him the first time instead of that french guy that never came. What does he have left? I don't think even Melo would tolerate his shit if he gets too out of hand.

lol... Fredrick Weis.... Think the Knicks are still waiting for him to leave the French border :lol: 

wait, nvm - this scrub is actually retired.... Retired from what, I don't know, but nonetheless, that's what it says.....

As for Artest, I'm still not seeing where this is such this great acquisition.... From hearing people on the streets, to reading in the newspapers, to browsing comments from a couple forums..... I think a lot of folk are getting too caught up on the feel good part of it all ("Artest back in NY")....

Yup, he isn't Latrell Sprewell (headcase with an upside). I don't see him doing much other than to be a scorer the team needed when they faded in the Pacers series. I guess he could defend, but I have a feeling he'll end up causing some problem that leads to a suspension (if he doesn't foul out of the game). I don't buy that feel good home coming story either.

But hey, I have low expectations of this team, so I guess it doesn't really matter. Maybe it'll work out and our headcase will take care of Garnett during those Knicks-Nets games. I can use the entertainment :)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know Terry was part of that (Pierce & Garnett coming to Brooklyn) deal also.....

Pierce lookin all disgruntled like he don't wanna be here... smh....

So who the heck do the Celtics have left then? Let's see how long it takes for Rondo to want out !

Miami Heat signs Greg Oden for 2 years..... I don't know whether to laugh or smh at this....

They could use a center though, but this guy? Must be slim pickin's in the free agent market......

I  guess Ewing, Cartwright, Olajuwon, and Kareem weren't available. They'd probably play more games than Oden before breaking down. Maybe the Heat should have scouted Rucker or West Fourth St before making that move?  D League ? Overseas? I harbor no ill will toward Oden but these must be desperate times for teams to pick up big men. Is Yao Ming coming back next?

Archived