NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bro the "Pelican" is the offical bird of state of La.

So that's what it is... Thanks.

Lol, Jeteresque dive. But yeah, that was way over the top for the ball. Thankfully it doesn't seem too serious.

I dunno if it's intentional or coincidental, but it seems like Melo is embracing the 'captain'/leader role and I don't blame him.

I don't think the knicks had a real captain/leader type since who.... Ewing?

I will say that my respect for carmelo has increased since he became a knick..... during his college years on up to his earlier NBA years, I couldn't stand the guy.... When he first came into the league, he was a whiny prick - feelin some type of way b/c he wasn't getting the recognition/attention that LeBron was getting..... Now he's grown into his own (man)......

Yep, Latrell Sprewell before 1999 was another guy that I would never have had any respect for [espcially the senseless choking of his coach incident], but when the team started winning and he lead the team, all the bad news about him went away.

While in recent years David Stern has been an A@@hole, being fair creating the minium 20-year old requirement was an excellent idea following the Lebron/Kobe fisaco and also forcing 18-19 year old kids either to 1 year of college or playing in Europe or the "D" league.

I wish all of the pro sports league *cough cough* tennis and figure skating, would require everyone to be at least 18 to become pro.

I am sure if Lebron, Sprewell(another underclassmen that came to NBA too early)and Melo had a 1 year either in college or "D" league/European pro hoops league they would not cause so much problems or committ a crime in Sprewell case.

First of all, I have to give props for Melo (SF/PF). His numbers are INSANE. I sure hope the Knicks get far in the playoffs, they play like they deserve it.

Knicks body the Heat tonight in another 20 point defeat, 112-92.....

LMAO how empty the AA Arena got after like 3 mins. to go in the 4th....

Heat only scored like 10 or 12 points in that last quarter.... 12, because it was 90-80 after the 3rd....

Yes, the Knicks hit 18 threes, but it has to get quite disturbing/worrisome the rate at which they're taking all these threes (18 of 44)....

Last night against the Bobcats (a game they had no business winning), they went 13 of 41 from three.....

The Knicks are an established 3PT team, not surprised at that number, but it could have been much higher.

The Bobcats are not as established as the Knicks are, but you have to remember that Kemba Walker (PG/SG), Ben Gordon (SG) and Byron Mullens (PF/C) are going to be taking a large number, if not most, of the shots for that team, most of them 3PTers. But they need to feed MKG (SF) some more, and get better looks inside.

Yep, Latrell Sprewell before 1999 was another guy that I would never have had any respect for [espcially the senseless choking of his coach incident], but when the team started winning and he lead the team, all the bad news about him went away.

When I first heard about him choking Carlesimo, I laughed.....

Sprewell I liked when he was on the Warriors (back when Tim Hardaway was on that team), so I didn't lose respect for him when he went to the Knicks.... He was on some next shit when he went to the T'wolves though - he thought he was still worth a huge contract.....

The Knicks are an established 3PT team, not surprised at that number, but it could have been much higher.

The Bobcats are not as established as the Knicks are, but you have to remember that Kemba Walker (PG/SG), Ben Gordon (SG) and Byron Mullens (PF/C) are going to be taking a large number, if not most, of the shots for that team, most of them 3PTers. But they need to feed MKG (SF) some more, and get better looks inside.

Bobcats I'm not worried about; nobody's talkin about them making any real playoff push....

As for the knicks.... shooting around that many three's a night though is ridiculous.... As they say, you live & die by that 3' ball...

I mean I blame Riley too, but ask John Starks about that game 7 in the' 94 finals where he couldn't hit the broadside of the barn from three....

The New Orleans Pelicans. It could work. Or just have the Jazz and Hornets switch cities.

Yeah, but then again, the Lakers should've been renamed when they moved from Minnesota as well. I just don't see Utah being the Hornets. But I do think NO should get back 'Jazz' than be the pelicans [a total wtf]. Well the 'Sonics' isn't being used, I think that'd be a better fit for Utah.

Yeah, but then again, the Lakers should've been renamed when they moved from Minnesota as well. I just don't see Utah being the Hornets. But I do think NO should get back 'Jazz' than be the pelicans [a total wtf]. Well the 'Sonics' isn't being used, I think that'd be a better fit for Utah.

Not to go off topic but the Dodgers and Giants in MLB should been also renamed when they left NYC for Calif. The LA team now called the Dodgers could been the Angels while the Giants should been renamed say the Sharks or even the Seals.

So my comments on the Lakers.... I think they have committed one of the biggest sins possible in professional sports. That is assembling an All-Star roster and pointing the finger at the coach (now former coach Mike Brown) when it doesn't work out. I'm glad the same Lakers team has shown up under D'Antoni because the coaching change five games into the season was totally unnecessary. Going back to the playoffs last season, there was talk in Miami of a Spolestra firing if the Heat didn't win it all (and/or a Wade trade) which makes me think there is this culture in the NBA where the superstar players can't do any wrong and teams stacked with them are shoe-in's for the Finals (If they look bad it's the coaches fault). Shame on the Lakers for being victims of this NBA culture.

So my comments on the Lakers.... I think they have committed one of the biggest sins possible in professional sports. That is assembling an All-Star roster and pointing the finger at the coach (now former coach Mike Brown) when it doesn't work out. I'm glad the same Lakers team has shown up under D'Antoni because the coaching change five games into the season was totally unnecessary. Going back to the playoffs last season, there was talk in Miami of a Spolestra firing if the Heat didn't win it all (and/or a Wade trade) which makes me think there is this culture in the NBA where the superstar players can't do any wrong and teams stacked with them are shoe-in's for the Finals (If they look bad it's the coaches fault). Shame on the Lakers for being victims of this NBA culture.

One of the many reasons why I call today's NBA organized streetball.... I'm assuming you've balled a couple times & what not... Street nzzzz's no matter what, are always open, never commit fouls, never travel, & are always in the right somehow (of course that's all sarcasm).... I don't know how many near (fist) fights I'd get into, playing 'ball w/ nzzzz's.... It's not by accident that the league now has a rule pretty much stating if you get up in a ref's face over some BS for any reason, you gettin a tech......

It's simply easier to point the finger at the coach because the star player(s) on a team usually makes more (money) than the coach.... I'll go even further - The star player is less expendable than the coach..... The front office will in most cases, favor the star player over the coach.... The star player in some cases even has influence over personnel decisions over the coach (perfect example of this is down in Miami, with Wade & having LeBron & Bosh joining the squad)..... The star player to the front office is more respected than the coach.....

This is what happens when you give the star player way too much power, and I don't see things getting any better w/ that either..... More "superteams", more overpaid players, and more coaches in & out of franchises like revolving doors.... I had a chat a while back w/ an acquaintance regarding the quality of coaching in the NBA - we both said that you're gonna start seeing coaches not giving much of a shit about actually coaching a team & in it just for the title of being an NBA coach (much like Spolestra).... I'm not gonna be surprised when you have a bunch of unproven coaches coming out of thin air (again, like Spolestra) & star players actually having more authority over a coached team, than the coach himself !!!

Now I'm not saying you're gonna start seeing a bunch of player-coaches (I do already consider Kobe a player-coach though... lol), but I don't think you're gonna see many former players turning NBA coaches - But instead becoming front office personnel, or sports analysts....

....the latter of which is exactly the current trend/culture that's happening on all the sports channels/networks.

And the Knicks pull out a narrow win over the Nets. Finally! Melo and Kidd were great.

I dozed off on the game.... came in & went right into taking a nap.... Big 3 ball by kidd to seal it..... Heard 'Melo went off too.

Last I remember seeing, the Nets were up by something like 52-39.... At the time, I was like, y'all wanna get blown out tonight huh.... lol....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First the Heat, now the Thunder (tonight)..... When did the Wizards start winning all of a sudden? They're up to a whopping handful now....

I watched most of that nets/wizards double OT game back on saturday..... That game should've ended in a draw (lol)....

After scoring the last bucket (I didn't know Nene was on the wizards) in regulation, the wizards started the first OT on a 10-0 run... the nets answered right back with an 11-0 run of their own, and it eventually took a 3 pointer by someone on the wizards to force double OT..... nets eventually held on in double OT to win it.... It was like both teams wanted to win & lose the game at the same time; never saw anything like it.....

It's not all on him obviously, but the Nets under Carlesimo is not impressing me.... I've been watching the nets this past week & a half, and I didn't realize just how dependent they are on Joe Johnson.... Good player, but he's not the type of player that you want carrying your team.....

Two more things to note:

- lol @ the celtics playing .500 ball right now (good for them)

- smh @ the amount of turnovers this guy OJ Mayo gets over in Dallas.... also smh @ the fact that if you force Dallas into OT, you're pretty much guaranteed a win.....

Didn't watch any of that game last night; matter fact, I didn't know it was on..... I heard about that altercation before I left this morning....

Carmelo went to the Celtics locker room to approach Garnett? He went to the team bus to try to approach him also? Damn, what the hell happened...... This had to be more than just carmelo's frustration (going 6-26).....

Never cared for Garnett anyway, he's one of these dudes that'll get into your head by shit talking & then try to back off when someone real ends up steppin to him - Like most nzzzz's with a lot of mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

I was re-reading the whole thread and found myself laughing at some of the predictions. Miami, OKC, Spurs were good and safe choices. The Knicks and Nets have been pleasant surprises to me. What's most amusing to me is so many people believing that Dwight Howard, aka "Superman", was going to be a savior for any team, let alone the Lakers. Andrew Bynum may have been immature but he was a better fit than DH could ever be for the Laker team. At least he attempted to play the center position for the purple and gold. "Superman" has athletic talent, when healthy, but anyone who knows basketball could have told you that he, DH, is not a center. He is,at best, a hybrid big man who will never be as good as a C/PF as Duncan, Olajuwan, Durant or real big men like Moses Malone,Kareem, Wilt ,Russ, Ewing, Mourning, or even guys like  Brook Lopez.,or Gasol brothers. Bynum hasn't played a game this season but if he's healthy for half a year he's still better than DH's effect on the Lakers. It seems too many people get their BB knowledge from Sportcenter and have never studied the game. I feel for the Laker fans who are stuck with "Superman", Metta, and the Black Mamba. From what I've seen the last two weeks the Western Conference playoff race is out of the question. Carry on.

Damn, the last comment in this thread before yesterday was mine back on the 8th? That tells you how boring/stale the NBA is right now....

Anyway....

I was re-reading the whole thread and found myself laughing at some of the predictions. Miami, OKC, Spurs were good and safe choices. The Knicks and Nets have been pleasant surprises to me. What's most amusing to me is so many people believing that Dwight Howard, aka "Superman", was going to be a savior for any team, let alone the Lakers. Andrew Bynum may have been immature but he was a better fit than DH could ever be for the Laker team. At least he attempted to play the center position for the purple and gold. "Superman" has athletic talent, when healthy, but anyone who knows basketball could have told you that he, DH, is not a center. He is,at best, a hybrid big man who will never be as good as a C/PF as Duncan, Olajuwan, Durant or real big men like Moses Malone,Kareem, Wilt ,Russ, Ewing, Mourning, or even guys like  Brook Lopez.,or Gasol brothers. Bynum hasn't played a game this season but if he's healthy for half a year he's still better than DH's effect on the Lakers. It seems too many people get their BB knowledge from Sportcenter and have never studied the game. I feel for the Laker fans who are stuck with "Superman", Metta, and the Black Mamba. From what I've seen the last two weeks the Western Conference playoff race is out of the question. Carry on.

Yours truly didn't see Dwight as any "savior" because I knew how offensively limited he was... Since they're bringing up this Dwight-to-the-Nets talk again, I'd have to say they'd be fools to take on the guy at this point in his career..... Anyone can say what they want (including screaming a. smith), but if I'm the Nets, I'd rather have Brook Lopez on my team over Dwight Howard.... Damn the star power, his baggage isn't worth it IMO.... As much as he wanted out of the Magic, him having came to Los Angeles exposed how one-dimensional he really is (much like Amare was exposed when he left Phoenix).... Dwight was better off staying in Orlando, where he could be "the man" so to speak....

Like I said in the Kobe/81pt anniversary thread, this debacle w/ the Lakers aint all on him though - When you have Gasol complaining about D'antoni's system, there's a far bigger problem....

At this time, I would like to quote part of a post I made back in November...

"How about D'antoni coaching the Lakers.... that will have FAIL written all over it, and I think Kobe is lying through his teeth when he says a] he didn't know Phil was a candidate to take Mike Brown's place & b] that D'antoni is such this great fit..... He's trying to sell Laker nation (quote-unquote) an expired bill of goods & quite frankly, a load of crap.."

...and them sitting 12th in the west right now only illustrates that.

Damn, the last comment in this thread before yesterday was mine back on the 8th? That tells you how boring/stale the NBA is right now....

Anyway....

Yours truly didn't see Dwight as any "savior" because I knew how offensively limited he was... Since they're bringing up this Dwight-to-the-Nets talk again, I'd have to say they'd be fools to take on the guy at this point in his career..... Anyone can say what they want (including screaming a. smith), but if I'm the Nets, I'd rather have Brook Lopez on my team over Dwight Howard....  When you have Gasol complaining about D'antoni's system, there's a far bigger problem....

At this time, I would like to quote part of a post I made back in November...

"How about D'antoni coaching the Lakers.... that will have FAIL written all over it, and I think Kobe is lying through his teeth when he says a] he didn't know Phil was a candidate to take Mike Brown's place & b] that D'antoni is such this great fit..... He's trying to sell Laker nation (quote-unquote) an expired bill of goods & quite frankly, a load of crap.."

...and them sitting 12th in the west right now only illustrates that.

Your November post pointed out the Laker's problem clearly. Your latest post clears up the problem even better. D'antoni and his "system", Superman and his offensive liabilities, and their so-called superstar Kobe and his inflated ego are the main problems with the Lakers. The coach and his system don't fit the personnel he has on the floor. Kobe will chuck up shots no matter what play may be called. DH has no offensive game of his own. His offense so far in his career consists of put-backs and dunks. He has no offensive moves to create a shot of his own. In the last 2 weeks I've watched Laker games and when Pau Gasol is on the floor with Nash he gets his touches and fits in with the offense and has scoring chances. When he played up front with Bynum last season he did okay and so did Bynum. Dwight looks clueless. If the ball finds it's way to the Black Mamba it's like it's going into a Black Hole. His shoot first ball hogging and his defensive liabilities have been on display since last seasons playoffs. Smaller guards routinely blow past him, leaving him flatfooted, especially the ones in the Western Conference. CP3, Westbrook, Tony Parker, and Ty Lawson leave him looking like a statue in the open court while his teammates have to cover for him. When he said his team is "too damn old" he should have included himself. Phil Jackson,Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, even the ghosts of Red Auerbach and Red Holltzman, can't help this team the way it's constituted right now. Screamin' Stephen be damned. The Brooklyn Nets don't need Howard. Brook Lopez is a better all around center right now.  I'd rather keep Brook and take Gasol over "Superman" because Pau has a skill set and more knowledge of the game and how it's supposed to be played. @ Q43LTD Why would it be sad? The Clippers are a better team and belong in the playoffs. If the Lakers were to make the playoffs any team that they play would be favored over them because any coach worth his salt would attack their many weaknesses. Most basketball fans can already see them. Carry on.

Archived