NBA 2012-2013 Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Durant has my MVP vote thus far. The NBA has been boring this season because there aren't many real contenders. It looks like the Thunder and Heat are on a collision course for another NBA Final and there aren't many other threats outside of maybe the Spurs or Clippers. Unless something out of the ordinary happens the rest of the way, i'll save my NBA comments for the playoffs. 

It would be truly sad if the Clippers made the playoffs and not the Lakers

Whenever sistas use that "it's just so sad" line, I replace the word "sad" with embarrassing..... much more often than not, that's what they mean - there's no literal feeling of sadness, and more often than not, there's a sarcastic chuckle that follows it....

Clippers are a good team, but they don't have a down-to-the-last-second type of shooter if they're down in a close game.... Paul & Crawford are the best they got in that category.... On most occasions, you're not gonna give the ball to crawford for a final shot, and paul is more of a pass first, shoot second type guy (like steve nash is).... Anyway, that "lob city" style of play is not gonna get them a championship against a quality defensive team.... That's my only real problem w/ them.... They're gonna be in trouble if they run into a team like the Grizzlies, for example.....

As for the Clippers being better than the Lakers right now itself, I don't find it sad, embarrassing, or funny - I just see it as a result of changing times.

It looks like the Thunder and Heat are on a collision course for another NBA Final......

....is one of the major reasons why this season is a bore.

All the talk is about the problems w/ the lakers, problems w/ Dwight himself, or that KG/Carmelo incident or w/e......

...and I have to agree with Francesa - There's no one in the East that's remotely close to being any real threat to dethrone the Heat come playoff time.... Even though the nets, knicks, and pacers are 1 win behind & the bulls are 2 wins behind them......

Trainmaster5 said:

Your November post pointed out the Laker's problem clearly. Your latest post clears up the problem even better. D'antoni and his "system", Superman and his offensive liabilities, and their so-called superstar Kobe and his inflated ego are the main problems with the Lakers. The coach and his system don't fit the personnel he has on the floor. Kobe will chuck up shots no matter what play may be called. DH has no offensive game of his own. His offense so far in his career consists of put-backs and dunks. He has no offensive moves to create a shot of his own.

In the last 2 weeks I've watched Laker games and when Pau Gasol is on the floor with Nash he gets his touches and fits in with the offense and has scoring chances. When he played up front with Bynum last season he did okay and so did Bynum. Dwight looks clueless. If the ball finds it's way to the Black Mamba it's like it's going into a Black Hole. His shoot first ball hogging and his defensive liabilities have been on display since last seasons playoffs. Smaller guards routinely blow past him, leaving him flatfooted, especially the ones in the Western Conference. CP3, Westbrook, Tony Parker, and Ty Lawson leave him looking like a statue in the open court while his teammates have to cover for him. When he said his team is "too damn old" he should have included himself. Phil Jackson,Greg Popovich, Jerry Sloan, even the ghosts of Red Auerbach and Red Holltzman, can't help this team the way it's constituted right now.

Screamin' Stephen be damned. The Brooklyn Nets don't need Howard. Brook Lopez is a better all around center right now.  I'd rather keep Brook and take Gasol over "Superman" because Pau has a skill set and more knowledge of the game and how it's supposed to be played.

Right, that's what I'm sayin - Kobe realizes that he needs help (I get the sense that he's one of these people that hates to admit things like that).... So that only compounds the frustration behind how poorly they're doing this season... Pau Gasol does not fit D'antoni's system at all; although he can make the mid-range jumper, he's not the Nowitzki type of player (for example) that has more of an outside game than an inside game.... You're not gonna see Pau push it up the floor & knock down a jumper in rhythm, and for damn sure he's not gonna create his own shot.... so dude looks like a fish out of water out there right now....

Yes, we both realize how offensively challenged Dwight is; if it's not a dunk or anything else inside 3 feet (lol), he's not gonna light up any scoreboard (same exact problem I had w/ Blake Griffin, and still do to an extent).... Defensively, he's not as dominant as he used to be w/ that back problem of his or w/e... Seeming how you can't touch these PG's nowadays when they come flying down the lane (if you don't wanna get hit w/ a foul, that is), he doesn't stand a chance b/c he isn't as mobile as he was when he used to rack up those blocks..... Thus his proneness to fouling out (that's a problem I have w/ the league in general w/ these PG's, which is another discussion for another time).... As far as Kobe on defense, he's still a good one on one defender, but his age is showing... He's not getting those steals like he used to.....

Lopez's "stock" is rising, and Pau's is pretty much stagnant right now.... Dwight's is clearly on the decline....

I'd take Brook Lopez & Pau Gasol over Dwight Howard because they don't have to rely on dunks to score.... that, and they are both good FT shooters.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a sad day for Laker fans and the NBA fan in general. Jerry Buss provided the money for "Showtime" which brought old time BB fans like me back into the fold. Some posters might be too young to remember but before the "Showtime" Laker era the all-around quality of play in the NBA was beginning to become stagnant and boring. There were some great players back then but ,except for the Boston Celtics, there weren't really any great teams or rivalries nationwide. " Showtime" got the casual fan back into the game and boosted TV ratings and team revenue for the league. The TV networks played up the Bird-Magic rivalry but the keys to "Showtime" were A.C Green, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambis, and especially James Worthy and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.. Pat Riley did the coaching, Magic Johnson did the passing and the others did the rest. When "Showtime" finally slowed down due to age and retirements the league and the TV networks needed a new face and they settled on the Chicago Bulls and the Michael Jordan era. It's my opinion that those Bulls teams, even with Jordan, would never beat the Bird-Celtic teams or the "Showtime Lakers" in their primes, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As a long time Knick and "Dr. J" fan I'm just glad Dr. Buss did what he did for the game. He will be missed.

It's a sad day for Laker fans and the NBA fan in general. Jerry Buss provided the money for "Showtime" which brought old time BB fans like me back into the fold. Some posters might be too young to remember but before the "Showtime" Laker era the all-around quality of play in the NBA was beginning to become stagnant and boring. There were some great players back then but ,except for the Boston Celtics, there weren't really any great teams or rivalries nationwide. " Showtime" got the casual fan back into the game and boosted TV ratings and team revenue for the league. The TV networks played up the Bird-Magic rivalry but the keys to "Showtime" were A.C Green, Michael Cooper, Kurt Rambis, and especially James Worthy and Kareem Abdul Jabbar.. Pat Riley did the coaching, Magic Johnson did the passing and the others did the rest. When "Showtime" finally slowed down due to age and retirements the league and the TV networks needed a new face and they settled on the Chicago Bulls and the Michael Jordan era. It's my opinion that those Bulls teams, even with Jordan, would never beat the Bird-Celtic teams or the "Showtime Lakers" in their primes, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As a long time Knick and "Dr. J" fan I'm just glad Dr. Buss did what he did for the game. He will be missed.

Well said. Lets not forget that weeknight NBA Finals games was tape delayed(except for games 6 and 7)and not shown until 1130pm. It was only until the 1982 NBA Finals did all championship games was shown 'live" then on CBS, then for NBC for a while and now for a decade on ESPN/ABC.

Buss was lucky to get & draft Magic and Kobe but still he so underrated among the great owners not only in NBA history but also pro sports history.

I remember those tape delayed games very well. I distinctly remember a Western Conference series where Moses Malone of Houston outworked the whole Laker frontline, including Kareem. The dude was relentless on the glass that series and I grew to appreciate his skill around the boards. I was ecstatic when he went to the Sixers and led them ,and the good Doctor, to that elusive NBA championship. All he said was "''fo,'fo, and 'fo" although it took 4,5, and 4. It was a shame that those of us on the east coast missed much of his early NBA career because of the tape delay. Since I also followed the ABA I knew he was the real deal  way back then and I bet a lot of NBA players knew it too.

I remember those tape delayed games very well. I distinctly remember a Western Conference series where Moses Malone of Houston outworked the whole Laker frontline, including Kareem. The dude was relentless on the glass that series and I grew to appreciate his skill around the boards. I was ecstatic when he went to the Sixers and led them ,and the good Doctor, to that elusive NBA championship. All he said was "''fo,'fo, and 'fo" although it took 4,5, and 4. It was a shame that those of us on the east coast missed much of his early NBA career because of the tape delay. Since I also followed the ABA I knew he was the real deal  way back then and I bet a lot of NBA players knew it too.

Oh yes! The 1983 Sixers. That was the first NBA Finals that I remember well then as a 10 year boy. My first NBA Championship I watched was (barely remember) was Bird winning his 1st ring with the Celtics. Too bad (I am a Lakers fan but felt happy for Dr. J) the night the Sixers swept Magic's/Kareem Lakers I fell asleep and missed the 2nd half.

And it amazing how 30 years ago, most of America did not have cable. Thus the only place to see NBA stars (going back to my childhood in early '80's)was on CBS. Not counting the Christmas Day game, CBS would should a "game of the week" from Mid Jan. to the NBA Finals.

Now if you have cable including NBA League Pass almost every game (if you willing to pay couple of hundred bucks a season)is now on television.

And lastly on Jerry Buss. He was one of the last 'old school' owner/businessman that did not try to become 'part of the team' and thus a forced tv star like new breed owners such as Cuban and Jerry Jones have.

Why is sports media still talking more about some damn Dwight Howard, when one of the greatest basketball minds just passed away..... I think that in & of itself is a slap in the face to the Buss family....

Yes the Lakers traditionally had dominant big men in their championship reigns/runs...

This guy Howard doesn't fit the mold... Move on already.... The man is dead weight on that team......

==========

Anyway, did anyone watch any of the ASG or the skills challenges ?

I only got as far as the middle of the first quarter where I couldn't take it anymore... It was a snorefest to me....

Reading on other forums, the game supposedly got better towards & within the 4th quarter... CP8 (as I call him, but seriously) CP3 ended up getting the MVP of the game....

As for the skills challenges, I didn't watch any of that...

Guest Charles

Anyway, did anyone watch any of the ASG or the skills challenges ?

I only got as far as the middle of the first quarter where I couldn't take it anymore... It was a snorefest to me....

Reading on other forums, the game supposedly got better towards & within the 4th quarter... CP8 (as I call him, but seriously) CP3 ended up getting the MVP of the game....

As for the skills challenges, I didn't watch any of that...

Saw the ASG, obviously just for the lobs. I actually liked it this year.

Didn't see the 3pt or skills challenge, but the dunk contest was an utter disappointment.. the Evans dunk w/ the drawing was nice though. One of the few instances where the addition of props was beneficial.

Why is sports media still talking more about some damn Dwight Howard, when one of the greatest basketball minds just passed away..... I think that in & of itself is a slap in the face to the Buss family....

Yes the Lakers traditionally had dominant big men in their championship reigns/runs...

This guy Howard doesn't fit the mold... Move on already.... The man is dead weight on that team......

Yup. That why these young sports fans lack knowledge of sports history. Buss is just as an the most important executive/owner as say Red Auberbach  in NBA History. Yet ESPN/Sportscenter focuses on the punk Dwight Howard and very little focus on one of  the main guys that helped to create "showtime" and modern pro basketball.

Yup. That why these young sports fans lack knowledge of sports history. Buss is just as an the most important executive/owner as say Red Auberbach  in NBA History. Yet ESPN/Sportscenter focuses on the punk Dwight Howard and very little focus on one of  the main guys that helped to create "showtime" and modern pro basketball.

Always comes back to the young fellas, doesn't it Shortline?

I do agree with you Charles, I was not impressed with the dunk contest at all. The three point contest was ok, I was very shocked to see Irving win it all. What I don't understand is why they don't put people in the dunk contest who would actually make a good show? John Wall, LeBron James, J.R. Smith, Kevin Durant, etcetera...

Always comes back to the young fellas, doesn't it Shortline?

I do agree with you Charles, I was not impressed with the dunk contest at all. The three point contest was ok, I was very shocked to see Irving win it all. What I don't understand is why they don't put people in the dunk contest who would actually make a good show? John Wall, LeBron James, J.R. Smith, Kevin Durant, etcetera...

In the case of Lebron, Kevin, Kobe, Wade,Dirk, and the like, it's not like they need the exposure. Everyone knows what they can do already. The dunk contest, at least to me, is a chance to get national eyeballs. Back in the day guys like the Doctor and Mike did it because the league was pushing it, IMO. Real fans knew what Dominique, David Thompson, Jordan, Doc, and the guys could do but the league needed to draw in the casual fan for bigger ratings and more $$$. It's always about the dollar with the NBA. There was an NCAA tournament game once. Indiana State vs Michigan State. A coming out party for casual fans, if you will. Larry Bird of Indiana St vs Michigan St with Ervin " Magic"Johnson and Greg Kelser. MS put on a memorable show that night for America. Next thing you know Bird is on the Celtics, Magic on the Lakers, the teams are on every Sunday it seemed and the league got free publicity....from the NCAA. Follow the money trail. Carry on.

Guest Charles

In the case of Lebron, Kevin, Kobe, Wade,Dirk, and the like, it's not like they need the exposure. Everyone knows what they can do already. The dunk contest, at least to me, is a chance to get national eyeballs. Back in the day guys like the Doctor and Mike did it because the league was pushing it, IMO. Real fans knew what Dominique, David Thompson, Jordan, Doc, and the guys could do but the league needed to draw in the casual fan for bigger ratings and more $$$. It's always about the dollar with the NBA. 

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment -- certainly, a casual fan would've heard the name "LeBron" surface more often than say, "Jeremy Evans" or "Terrance Ross." So why not round up the top 5 big name dunkers and advertise it like the end of the world? I guess if you showcase the best of the best (really, that's what all star weekend is about) you might be able to draw in those casual fans.

Also:  from http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-says-never-enter-slam-dunk-contest-163834704--nba.html "A star of LeBron's magnitude has more to lose in terms of reputation/public perception by posting an unimpressive showing in the contest than he has to gain by winning it" That's got to be the reason why he's never going to enter the contest.

Also:  from http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/lebron-james-says-never-enter-slam-dunk-contest-163834704--nba.html "A star of LeBron's magnitude has more to lose in terms of reputation/public perception by posting an unimpressive showing in the contest than he has to gain by winning it" That's got to be the reason why he's never going to enter the contest.

Your link points to the point I was making. The stars don't need to do it. Nothing to gain for them and maybe they lose a little luster off that "star".

I don't like the toothpick MF-er (Hibbert should've flung him into the stands in that game against the pacers 2-3 nights ago), but man did stephen curry go off last night.... 54 points or w/e & nothin to show for it b/c the Knicks still ended up beating them.... Personally, I'm more in awe over Chandler's performance; 28 rebounds ?!?!?

Lol @ Kenyon Martin joining the knicks... I heard about that yesterday morning & got a good laugh off of that.... I know they need *someone* to help out Tyson Chandler in the frontcourt, but HIM? This just goes to show that there's a dry spell of big's out there, and it's only gonna get worse, league-wide.... I remember the days when you would opt to sign bums like greg ostertag, mark west, oliver miller to fill a spot.... Now you're seein more of these lanky mf-ers passing off for big's nowadays....  This is one reason why I think Bynum's overhyped as hell (because he actually has SIZE), but that's a whooole 'nother issue.....

Your link points to the point I was making. The stars don't need to do it. Nothing to gain for them and maybe they lose a little luster off that "star".

I don't understand why so many (especially in sports media) are making issue of LeBron not bothering to enter the slam dunk contest in the first place.... I'll go one further & say they need to get rid of it in its entirety... Stars or no stars.... Damn thing ran its course, even long before that corny Blake Griffin over-the-shortest-part-of-the-car dunk a lot of people continue raving about to this day..... It's less about shear ability & more to do with what props you use to "woo" the crowd with w/e dunk you plan on doing..... That alone should tell you how abysmal & abominable a state the slam dunk contest is in right now.....

For LeBron himself, two things:

1] he does the same dunks night in & night out anyway, so I'm not seeing what the hell the big hoopla (choice of word unintended) is w/ wanting him particularly in it.... 2] His personality is one that doesn't strike me as being all that creative....

For the rest of the stars over the years, what you point out is part of the reason you're seeing less of 'em participating in it....

I don't understand why so many (especially in sports media) are making issue of LeBron not bothering to enter the slam dunk contest in the first place.... I'll go one further & say they need to get rid of it in its entirety... Stars or no stars.... Damn thing ran its course, even long before that corny Blake Griffin over-the-shortest-part-of-the-car dunk a lot of people continue raving about to this day..... It's less about shear ability & more to do with what props you use to "woo" the crowd with w/e dunk you plan on doing..... That alone should tell you how abysmal & abominable a state the slam dunk contest is in right now.....

For LeBron himself, two things:

1] he does the same dunks night in & night out anyway, so I'm not seeing what the hell the big hoopla (choice of word unintended) is w/ wanting him particularly in it.... 2] His personality is one that doesn't strike me as being all that creative....

For the rest of the stars over the years, what you point out is part of the reason you're seeing less of 'em participating in it....

I guess you probably have not seen this video yet. Pretty creative dunk in my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNQPLiFe6Bs

Back to business of NBA for minute. Looks like there will be a bidding war for the Sac-town Kings/future Seattle Sonics on whether they stay in Calif. State Capitial City or move to the Pacific Northwest.

And guess who the Chairman of the Committee who approves team "relocations?" Yup the current Owner of the OKC Thunder. Talk about "conflict of interest" lol.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2013-03-01/sacramento-kings-sale-official-bid-mark-mastrov-kevin-johnson-seattle-sonics?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D277725

Oh god... If he's smart he'll ok the kings moving to Seattle since that city is not his concern anymore. Seattle deserves that team more than Sacramento. Plus Vancouver left years ago, so it's an even bigger void there. They really should move the clippers to Anaheim. I don't get the need to share the staples center with the lakers and NHL kings. Talk about a scheduling nightmare...

What's with this recent LeBron dickriding as of late; in particular, the comparing of him to jordan as much as they are now all of a sudden......

You'd have thought he dropped 100pts in 3 straight games & won 3 straight titles overnight or something with the recent coverage he's been getting....

What's with this recent LeBron dickriding as of late; in particular, the comparing of him to jordan as much as they are now all of a sudden......

You'd have thought he dropped 100pts in 3 straight games & won 3 straight titles overnight or something with the recent coverage he's been getting....

You can add even Mike Francesa to the list of everyone on the Lebron bandwagon lol. Francesa on hisshow  today (3/5/13) states "talent wise" Lebron is already among the "top 5" of all time in the NBA.  The so called "Fat Boy" also says Lebron carrer already is better than Kobe, Magic and Bird. And that Kobe had either "Shaq" or Gasol, to win all of his rings while Lebron went to the Finals with no one around him.

What the hell Francesa is saying now? :o He added that by end of his career (not my words) if he stays healthy, Lebron will be "Right there with Jordan and Wilt" as the best NBA player ever.

My how in a year, Lebron has been called a disappointment to one of the best pro hoops ever. No doubt he the best hoops player in the world right now, but I agree with B35. Let him win at least 1-2 more NBA rings before he goes into the Jordan category. Await replies especially from B35, Trainmaster and others.

Archived