MTA will install video cameras to let straphangers comment about fare-hike

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-44500600-1349923292_thumb.jpg[/float] Growl — You're on fare-hike camera!

Subway, bus and commuter train riders can comment on the MTA’s fare-hike proposals without attending one of the authority’s public hearings, officials announced Tuesday.

Instead, riders can speak — or scream — into a video camera the Metropolitan Transportation Authority will set up at four locations: a lower Manhattan office building, a Metro-North Railroad station and two Long Island Rail Road stops.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-44500600-1349923292_thumb.jpg

It's all fun and games until someone uses it for a marriage proposal.

Really?! a camera to get feedback about farehikes?! what do they think people are going to say? "oh these hikes are solving world hunger" No! I don't know exactly what they're going to say, but it's probably going to be something to the effect of, "I f**king hate these fare hikes!", or "f**k you (MTA)" or something like that. This is the exact reason we have these damn farehikes!

Yes, and that should answer the question right there as to why they want us to talk into cameras rather then have actual live, and qualified people address our complaints on this fare hike. Of course the feedback on video will be ignored for the most part!

@Everyone saying they're just going to say it's bad

Then why bother having public meetings on the subject? This is made, so that if you can't attend a meeting, you can do this instead. I like the idea.

Wow, I will use my new rugby ball to say this: "MTA, I'm going to smash your camera because of a FARE HIKE you made!" :lol:

Just kidding....

That's why there is no such thing at any subway station—only an office building and 3 railroad stations.

Good, I'm gonna go comment about how they need to do something about all these farebeaters. Why should I pay MORE for my fare when you allow thieves to jump turnstiles and spit in the face of bus drivers on a daily basis?

Huh? Since when do you pay the fare?

Just because I have an employee pass doesn't mean that I approve of seeing farebeaters. When you have one person opening the gate and letting 30 people into the station for free, that's a direct loss of revenue. And it's the turnstile jumpers who are always the one continuing to cause havoc once they are on the train!

Don't forget that fare hike proposals are made public just around the time when contracts are due for renewal. Because the MTA is spending money on nothing else...

The contract expired at the end of 2011, did it not?

Wages and benefits cost the MTA $4.4 billion - about two-thirds of the operating budget. (Fares and tolls bring in only $3.3 billion.) Wages and benefits, while not the only item of interest, certainly can't be ignored.

(Source: http://www.mta.info/mta/budget/pdf/Consolidated_2012_FinancialsQ2.pdf, page 10)

Archived