Possible Bx41 SBS Extension to Laguardia Airport

GreatOne2k

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well so long "Bx50". But its better to use a current route, rather than making a new one.

If the Bx41 gets extended to LGA, maybe a stop at 31st St would be fine. After 31st, no stops till the Airport. Its long enough.

IMO This Q33X (I'll call it the Q63 for now), should not operate on the Grand Central due to delays. Instead the bus can go as follows when there are delays

LGA Bound: From Bus Terminal, go up 74 street, right on 30 Avenue, and left on 94 Avenue, following the Q33 Route

Woodside Bound: Q72 route along 94 street, then left on 32 Avenue, and left on 75 street, and regular route from the terminal

Sounds like something that would be otherwise fantasized here or on Subchat, but still needed if there won't be a subway or Airtrain extension to LGA.

As for the Bronx bus to LGA, the Bx55 should have been the one pegged for the SBS (with Fordham Plaza being the permanent northern terminal) if it was to go to the airport. The Bx41 is long enough as it is (although it was even longer when it ran from Wakefield all the way to 136th). Although if the Bx15 can run from West Harlem to Fordham and the M5 can run from South Ferry to Washington Heights, I can keep an open mind to the idea...

Sounds like something that would be otherwise fantasized here or on Subchat, but still needed if there won't be a subway or Airtrain extension to LGA.

As for the Bronx bus to LGA, the Bx55 should have been the one pegged for the SBS (with Fordham Plaza being the permanent northern terminal) if it was to go to the airport. The Bx41 is long enough as it is (although it was even longer when it ran from Wakefield all the way to 136th). Although if the Bx15 can run from West Harlem to Fordham and the M5 can run from South Ferry to Washington Heights, I can keep an open mind to the idea...

So which depot will Bx50 were to be based out?

If you read, the Bx41 WILL BE EXTENDED over the path of the propsed Bx50.

I think he meant to ask IF the Bx50 were to come, what depot would it be based out of..... That would be West Farms..... We know the bx50 won't come of course..

So i see my depot is getting SBS, this is going to be very interesting i can't wait to see hows this going to pan out. Also i guess ill be taking that Bx41 SBS to work since i live a block away from webster which should make my commute much more reliable. What number you guys think the new SBS in Queens should be labeled? And do you guys think this new SBS in Queens would have artics? which i highly don't think so just a thought.

It's a great proposal on paper but is there really a need for a direct link to The Bronx? I've driven the Bx41 on several occasions and a good number of the "customers" don't even have the means to ride the bus let alone utilize the route to catch a plane which cost significantly more. Unless they are using this as an alternative to the M60 (i.e. One takes the 2 train from the westside to the hub to avoid the parking lot on 125th [especially on Friday evenings]) or are betting on massive gentrification in the south bronx and along webster avenue I don't quite see this as working out in the favor of the TA. But then again all this is, is a proposal nothing more. Nothing less.

A good portion of the passengers are people who work at the airport, rather than people actually taking planes. The JFK AirTrain served something like 11% of the airline passengers and was considered successful, so the numbers are probably less on most of the regular local bus lines.

Really? I am talking about the current ridership. Granted during the AM rush there are plenty of working class individuals using the 41 to connect to the IRT at The Hub. Other than that the real good portion of the passengers are going to social service appointments etc... This is just from basic observation and overhearing customer conversations....something that isn't captured in statistics...

He's saying a good portion of people who take public transportation to airports in general are moreso airport workers than airline passengers, and there's a bit of truth to that.... For example, that couldn't be more true for the B15 - I don't remember the last time I've seen anyone w/ luggages on that route.....

^^ However, that's hardly a reason to consider extending the Bx41 to the airport, when bronx patrons are already doing what they do to get to the M60, and the fleet for the M60 changing to accomodate for more riders (which includes bronx patrons).... Bx41 has no business going to LGA.....

Of course the self-hating racist looks for any excuse to bash me, thinking my post was entirely based on stats (Not you, youngblaze, I have no problem with you)

Anyway, what I'm saying is that the people taking buses out to the airport are mostly people working there, not actual passengers going on planes, so the fact that Webster Avenue mostly runs through poor neighborhoods isn't really an issue. I mean, the B15 goes through Brownsville & East NY and goes to the airport, and I'm sure ridership isn't too bad going to the airport. I'm sure some of the buses to Newark Airport don't pass through the greatest areas either.

I mean, if you're on vacation (whether you live in NYC or you're a tourist), you're probably going to be spending a lot of money anyway, so the extra money for a taxi, or car rental or one of those direct buses to Manhattan isn't going to mean much (especially if you have luggage). Now, are there some travelers who are looking to save money and use public transportation? Of course, but they aren't the majority of people taking those airport routes for the most part.

I wasn't talking about whether that route should or shouldn't exist, but I was just pointing out that just because the route would run through poor neighborhoods doesn't automatically mean people wouldn't be using it to get to the airport. Maybe that is the case, and there aren't even any workers who would use it, but that's my point.

Now, if such a route were to exist, it definitely shouldn't be a Bx41 extension. The route should run no further north than Fordham Road. I'm on the fence with it, but if a LGA-Bronx route were to be created, I think it should be an extension of the Bx55. Service would be cut back to Fordham Road all times. Then you can flip a coin as to whether it should be the Bx41 or Bx55 that receives +SBS+.

Bx41 SBS to LGA would cut the double fare for many Bronx residents since not everyone lives by the subway, and only the Bx15 connects to the M60. This also allows the Bx41 to go back to 138 St. This is good for Bronx Queens travel without having to enter Manhattan for some people.

He's saying a good portion of people who take public transportation to airports in general are moreso airport workers than airline passengers, and there's a bit of truth to that.... For example, that couldn't be more true for the B15 - I don't remember the last time I've seen anyone w/ luggages on that route.....

^^ However, that's hardly a reason to consider extending the Bx41 to the airport, when bronx patrons are already doing what they do to get to the M60, and the fleet for the M60 changing to accomodate for more riders (which includes bronx patrons).... Bx41 has no business going to LGA.....

Nice to hear from the folks that actually use the line or drive the line comment since they would know the best.

Bx41 SBS to LGA would cut the double fare for many Bronx residents since not everyone lives by the subway, and only the Bx15 connects to the M60. This also allows the Bx41 to go back to 138 St. This is good for Bronx Queens travel without having to enter Manhattan for some people.

Well, the issue of a double fare should be solved by programming in an extra transfer. I mean, the issue of fares shouldn't be the reason why routes are extended or cut back.

As far as the Bronx-Queens connection goes, that's a good point, especially with the traffic on 125th Street making it harder to use the M60.

Hmm.. according to this map, the M60 would be extended to 96th and Broadway, and the Bx41 SBS would be rerouted from the Gun Hill (2) station to what I believe would be the 205th (D) station.

Anyone from Queens see anything else other than the obvious Q33 shortening?

Wait the Q33 is going to be shortened to the former Q72 terminal. Oh no (gets a tequila).

Hmm.. according to this map, the M60 would be extended to 96th and Broadway, and the Bx41 SBS would be rerouted from the Gun Hill (2) station to what I believe would be the 205th (D) station.

Anyone from Queens see anything else other than the obvious Q3 shortening?

Wait the Q33 is going to be shortened to the former Q72 terminal. Oh no (gets a tequila).

Looking at that PA map, I'm also not seeing the logic in to cutting the Q33 back.... That would instantly kill off that route....

No way would the 33 have near the amount of ridership it does, if it were to be truncated from serving the airport.... May as well extend the Q32 to astoria blvd & get rid of the Q33, if they're proposing a direct bus route that goes from 74th st terminal & LIRR Woodside to LGA.....

Remember what happened w/ the Q10a......

Not that it was going to happen anyway, but sending the 41 to the airport would permanently kill any chance of sending it back to Wakefield.

And what's the deal with the idea to send the 41 to 205th St on that map? If nothing else, it clashes with the tentative plans for SBS. And more importantly, doing that would sever it from WPR completely. You're kidding, right? Good thing it's just an idea.

I feel like if you want to set up a Bronx-LGA route you might as well make a new (SBS) route, like the Bx50 to Fordham Plaza. Between the Bx41 and the M60, it wouldn't have to run too often. Of course, I think the Bx55 should have SBS too and I think if it has to be one or the other, it should be the 55 over the 41 so don't take anything I say at face value.

Looking at that PA map, I'm also not seeing the logic in to cutting the Q33 back.... That would instantly kill off that route....

No way would the 33 have near the amount of ridership it does, if it were to be truncated from serving the airport.... May as well extend the Q32 to astoria blvd & get rid of the Q33, if they're proposing a direct bus route that goes from 74th st terminal & LIRR Woodside to LGA.....

Remember what happened w/ the Q10a......

It's ridership would go down, Also those LGA Bus riders from north of 74 street Bus Terminal would have to backtrack or go to the Q72. I would judt keep the Q33 running to the airport. Also, if the Q33 got shortened it would lose riders, as mentioned, which means, more waits for buses, less buses, and will eventually made the Q33 a Coverage Route.

Archived