Possible Bx41 SBS Extension to Laguardia Airport

GreatOne2k

I agree that service is needed from the Bronx to LGA. I do not really see a major difference whether or not it is the BX41 or the BX55. As a current resident of the Bronx and an airline employee, I can testify about how horrid this commute can become especially when the M60 is experiencing delays. I have taken the commute from the Bronx to LGA daily for the past five years. The assumption that majority riders of any route in the Bronx can't afford to fly or pay bus fare and only utilyze the bus to go to "social service appointments" is offensive and completely absurd. While the route may not pass through the best of neighborhoods, that does not negate the fact that there is a need for improved transit in the area. A large percentage of the M60 ridership is comprised of LGA employees that reside in the Bronx. This route would make commuting to LGA shorter. The Bronx and Queens lack adequate transit connections even though the infrastructure is in place already. The route would also benefit those who may not be bound for the airport but destinations in Queens along the route. Vaughn College is situated directly across from LGA and a large portion of their students also commute from various Bronx communities. Steinway Street and Astoria are also major destinations that would Bronx riders would benefit from having direct access too as well. The proposed bus route would ease crowding on the M60 and benefit a seemingly "forgotten" community in NYC. With that being said there is a need and demand for this route you just have to be willing not to generalize and look at things from someone elses point of view..

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.. according to this map, the M60 would be extended to 96th and Broadway, and the Bx41 SBS would be rerouted from the Gun Hill (2) station to what I believe would be the 205th (D) station.

I can't see what the benefit would be in extending the M60 to 96th, and the location marked on the map at 96th and Broadway is actually 106th and Broadway. It's probably just mislabeled.

Guest MTA Bus

I'm all for these new LGA Airport route changes. Here's my opinion.

Bx41: If the M5 can run from Washington Hts to South Ferry, the Bx41 can run to LGA. However, the Bx55 is a better bus route for this proposal b/c the route wouldn't have to be altered that much and 3rd Av would have a 24/7 Limited route.

M60: SBS would be awesome for this route.

Q33: Instead of ending it at Ditmars Blvd, have it run to Marine Air Terminal like the Q47.

Woodside - LGA Route: Good Idea. They should have done this a long time ago.

Bx41: If the M5 can run from Washington Hts to South Ferry, the Bx41 can run to LGA. However, the Bx55 is a better bus route for this proposal b/c the route wouldn't have to be altered that much and 3rd Av would have a 24/7 Limited route.

M60: SBS would be awesome for this route.

Q33: Instead of ending it at Ditmars Blvd, have it run to Marine Air Terminal like the Q47.

Woodside - LGA Route: Good Idea. They should have done this a long time ago.

The Bx55 doesn't run on Weekends, late eves and nights. For 24/7 service, you got the Bx15 for that. That could be why the Bx41 is selected.

I can't see what the benefit would be in extending the M60 to 96th, and the location marked on the map at 96th and Broadway is actually 106th and Broadway. It's probably just mislabeled.

Well it gives people at 96th Street access to the 60 for LGA service. Especially since i do notice folks getting on at 106th. Makes me wonder if some of them also come from below that stop. The only issue is, parking. I don't know if the MTA would have the lay over where the M96/106 are located at West End Ave. Its full enough..

The first thing that came to mind as soon as I read the thread title was:

Cut the 41 back from wakefield to possibly extend it to LGA..... Not to mention the recent adding/running of artics on the M60.....

I'm not seeing the logic here.....

It would be rerouted to Norwood. As for the Bx41 route...I would actually keep it as proposed from Norwood to Fordham, but then run it via Third Avenue instead of Webster, deleting the Bx55 in the process. That would also straighten the route through The Hub and Mott Haven.

Or, have an east and west route - the east route would run via Third and the west route via Webster in Morrisania. Buses would alternate along each branch.

It would be rerouted to Norwood. As for the Bx41 route...I would actually keep it as proposed from Norwood to Fordham, but then run it via Third Avenue instead of Webster, deleting the Bx55 in the process. That would also straighten the route through The Hub and Mott Haven.

Or, have an east and west route - the east route would run via Third and the west route via Webster in Morrisania.

If your saying reroute the Bx41 +SBS completely via 3rd Ave, thats a negative. Tons of folks on Webster won't be pleased. Passing the 41 a lot, sees crowds during the RH.

I would actually keep the Bx55. While things for it is at the medium, it could continue to give customers an alternative to the Bx41 SBS which could likely hit the crowd mark. (Rush hours mainly). If anything, the Bx55 could just turn into another M98, by making it Rush hours instead.

According to LGA Airport Alternative Analyse Open House (I almost didn't get in because of nasty school security guard told me lied and this was FINISHED ALREADY."

Q33 will become Woodside Local, however no longer serves airport and ends like old Q72 Triboro Turnaround.

New proposal routes between 61st St-Woodside and LGA Central Terminal via BQE and GC Pkwy. This will also serve Victoor Moore Bus Terminal. Q33 local route will use Northern Blvd and 94th St instead of using 82nd-83rd Sts north of Northern Blvd.

Another proposal they show me another route that travels along 34th St, Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Bordern Av, Jackson Av, Northern Blvd to 94th St.

Another proposal to have along 57th St corridor onto Queensboro Bridge to Queens Blvd, 21st St to Northern Blvd into LGA.

Another proposal to have route along Webster Av at Gun Hill Rd Station, serving 3rd Av after HUB, then on RFK Bridge via MJE area, following M60 route.

Even LGA was also thinking off doing M60 SBS.

According to LGA Airport Alternative Analyse Open House (I almost didn't get in because of nasty school security guard told me lied and this was FINISHED ALREADY."

Q33 will become Woodside Local, however no longer serves airport and ends like old Q72 Triboro Turnaround.

New proposal routes between 61st St-Woodside and LGA Central Terminal via BQE and GC Pkwy. This will also serve Victoor Moore Bus Terminal. Q33 local route will use Northern Blvd and 94th St instead of using 82nd-83rd Sts north of Northern Blvd.

Another proposal they show me another route that travels along 34th St, Queens-Midtown Tunnel, Bordern Av, Jackson Av, Northern Blvd to 94th St.

Another proposal to have along 57th St corridor onto Queensboro Bridge to Queens Blvd, 21st St to Northern Blvd into LGA.

Another proposal to have route along Webster Av at Gun Hill Rd Station, serving 3rd Av after HUB, then on RFK Bridge via MJE area, following M60 route.

Even LGA was also thinking off doing M60 SBS.

I dont like how they are making the 33. Whats going to replace the route north of 82 street, that just makes a huge gap, and I dont expect riders to walk to 74 or 89th streets. The 33 Should not be touched, period.

If your saying reroute the Bx41 +SBS completely via 3rd Ave, thats a negative. Tons of folks on Webster won't be pleased. Passing the 41 a lot, sees crowds during the RH.

I would actually keep the Bx55. While things for it is at the medium, it could continue to give customers an alternative to the Bx41 SBS which could likely hit the crowd mark. (Rush hours mainly). If anything, the Bx55 could just turn into another M98, by making it Rush hours instead.

Each bus would alternate between Webster and Third, to give greater coverage. The problem with all of the buses via Webster is that at the end of Melrose, traffic pattern realignments in the late 2000s force all traffic west on E. 149 Street...by having at least some buses via Third, it's a straight shot through the intersection instead of having to make three turns.

I would just like to sincerely apologize to any one that may have been offended by my post. They were not created with that motive. I have PM'd a mod to delete the post on the first page since for some reason I can't edit them.

I really don't see anything offensive about any post in this thread. An observation is just that.. An observation... We're all New Yorkers here for the most part. No need to sugarcoat things.

IMO there should be a separte route running on BQE between LGA and Woodside/Jackson Heights. However especially weekdays the BQE is a parking lot. So not sure if this proposed routing would speed service. However if approved i agree with B35 in extending the Q32 to Astoria Blvd/82nd Street area if this proposed Q33x is approved.

And actually guys if you pay attention on the M60 there some 'yuppies" i.e White, Black and Latino younger adults who live in Western Harlem/Upper West Side including Columbia Univ students that have luggage and use for flights at LGA. Even couple of years back, I took a flight from LGA using the M60 and Metro North.

The M60 is basically almost the Q10 in which a diversity of riders both airport workers and passengers alike use it.

If anything it's the B15 in which most of the riders using it for airport service are actually airport workers.

Just some thoughts.

One problem with your theory.

M5 is based out of one borough, this extension of the Bx41 is making it rely on 2 boroughs., You are doing an apples and oranges comparison.

The Bx55 doesn't run on weekends either.

I don't know how I feel about this Bx41 extension. I've never really been on the route so I can't say. Cutting back the Q33 however is ass-backwards.

They want a route that would serve Woodside, Jackson Heights and the airport? Shit, bring back the Q45 and send the Q47 down to Woodside and have the 47 serve the same stops the 33 would in the airport.

The M60 SBS won't really solve anything....it'll still get caught in traffic and it'll still bunch in Queens and Manhattan. The only thing it would really alleviate is the long boarding time at the Central Terminal...that's about it.

Looking at that PA map, I'm also not seeing the logic in to cutting the Q33 back.... That would instantly kill off that route....

No way would the 33 have near the amount of ridership it does, if it were to be truncated from serving the airport.... May as well extend the Q32 to astoria blvd & get rid of the Q33, if they're proposing a direct bus route that goes from 74th st terminal & LIRR Woodside to LGA.....

Remember what happened w/ the Q10a......

FWIW, when I took the Q33, most of the riders got off south of Astoria Blvd. I don't think cutting it back would necessarily kill off the route (though I agree it shouldn't be done).

I would just like to sincerely apologize to any one that may have been offended by my post. They were not created with that motive. I have PM'd a mod to delete the post on the first page since for some reason I can't edit them.

Tough break.... I didn't see where your post was offensive.... You made good points in that original post too.....

It's ridership would go down, Also those LGA Bus riders from north of 74 street Bus Terminal would have to backtrack or go to the Q72. I would judt keep the Q33 running to the airport. Also, if the Q33 got shortened it would lose riders, as mentioned, which means, more waits for buses, less buses, and will eventually made the Q33 a Coverage Route.

Yup, Exactly my point.... Can't see any scenario where the Q33 would be kept under the same headways it currently is, if it were to be cutback from LGA..... I'm willing to say at least half of that route's total riders are using it to get to/from LGA.....

Or, have an east and west route - the east route would run via Third and the west route via Webster in Morrisania. Buses would alternate along each branch.

When I said I didn't understand the logic, I wasn't talking about any specific routing/re-routing of the route....

I was referring to extending the Bx41 to the airport Period.

FWIW, when I took the Q33, most of the riders got off south of Astoria Blvd. I don't think cutting it back would necessarily kill off the route (though I agree it shouldn't be done).

Personally, I think cutting it back to Ditmars would make it just about as, if not more useless than the old Q47 was.....

They cutback the Q33, and they will watch Q49 & Q72 usage skyrocket.... guaranteed.

Yup, Exactly my point.... Can't see any scenario where the Q33 would be kept under the same headways it currently is, if it were to be cutback from LGA..... I'm willing to say at least half of that route's total riders are using it to get to/from LGA.....

When I said I didn't understand the logic, I wasn't talking about any specific routing/re-routing of the route....

I was referring to extending the Bx41 to the airport Period.

Personally, I think cutting it back to Ditmars would make it just about as, if not more useless than the old Q47 was.....

They cutback the Q33, and they will watch Q49 & Q72 usage skyrocket.... guaranteed.

I think thats the point. This seems like the prelude to a Q32/Q33 combination.

And youre absolutely right about the Bx41. The Q60 SBS might work out, but the Bx41 wont end well. The MTA is putting too much faith in SBS.

I think he meant to ask IF the Bx50 were to come, what depot would it be based out of..... That would be West Farms..... We know the bx50 won't come of course..

Or possibly Kingsbridge.

Hmm.. according to this map, the M60 would be extended to 96th and Broadway, and the Bx41 SBS would be rerouted from the Gun Hill (2) station to what I believe would be the 205th (D) station.

Anyone from Queens see anything else other than the obvious Q33 shortening?

That's probably an error on the map.

I will be giving out three different maps about the Modification of Jackson Heights Routes

Here's plan 1 http://maps.google.c...e669c4635b42c4a

Here's Plan 2 https://maps.google....e669c4635b42c4a

Here's Plan 3 https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?authuser=0&msa=19&msid=204750700533050976010.0004cbe6c18cc2d28c6d0

Looking at that PA map, I'm also not seeing the logic in to cutting the Q33 back.... That would instantly kill off that route....

No way would the 33 have near the amount of ridership it does, if it were to be truncated from serving the airport.... May as well extend the Q32 to astoria blvd & get rid of the Q33, if they're proposing a direct bus route that goes from 74th st terminal & LIRR Woodside to LGA.....

Remember what happened w/ the Q10a......

Unlike van wyck the BQE NORTH of LIE is mostly good it may be a parking lot sometimes but it is nowhere near as bad as the van wyck.

Archived