R46 SIR retrofit Discussion

East New York

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If/when the 46s transfer to SIR, they should keep them draw-bared in 4-Car Sets... Rather then keep splitting them up like SIR does now..

If anything, they should cut them up. It makes it easier to "make" service when one car is taken OOS. 4 car sets was on of many bad ideas that has occurred with the 75' fleet.

LIRR cars can probably run on the SIRT, but most platforms are 300' long and won't fit a 4-car M3+ train. that's why it is best to have 75' long cars running in sets of 4.

A 4 Car M3 should be able to fit at most of the SIR stations since I think there were a few (two I think) 5-Car R44 sets in the AM Rush.

Sure they maybe old, but SIRT is more or less a 'subway line'. I don't see why they should get ex-LIRR trains.

As for the single units: wouldn't sending the AA pairs to SI be better than to have to make them all single units? At least with the AA pairs those could be used for the late night service.

Sure they maybe old, but SIRT is more or less a 'subway line'. I don't see why they should get ex-LIRR trains.

As for the single units: wouldn't sending the AA pairs to SI be better than to have to make them all single units? At least with the AA pairs those could be used for the late night service.

True. Late night service is 2 Car Trains..

Will they have more service with these New additions? or are they gonna scrap the 44'rehaul cars that they currently have.

I heard most of them will just be replacing some of the R44's. I think they will end up using all R46's and NTT's in the future.

Converting R46s is not the best idea. They're nearly 40 years old and they have to be replaced within a few years later. The MTA is better off buying R179s for the SIRT.

It's a way to save money. This way the TA can get extra life out of the 46, and start getting rid of some 44's without spending hundreds of millions on all new cars.

LIRR cars can probably run on the SIRT, but most platforms are 300' long and won't fit a 4-car M3+ train. that's why it is best to have 75' long cars running in sets of 4.

Yeah, commuter car on a Rapid Transit line, no thanks.

If/when the 46s transfer to SIR, they should keep them draw-bared in 4-Car Sets... Rather then keep splitting them up like SIR does now..
Not a good idea. Doesn't give us the flexibility we need to make 2, 4 and 5 car trains. Plus when a car goes bad, we just uncouple it from the good portion of the train and replace it with a working car. No need to take out a whole train OOS.

I'm not sure, but I think they should get rid of them once the R46's come in, since they are already 40 years old. Plus, I don't think there would be enough space at Clifton yard to hold both the 44's and 46's.
Clifton Yard isn't used for storage space. Only Tottenville

Converting R46s is not the best idea. They're nearly 40 years old and they have to be replaced within a few years later. The MTA is better off buying R179s for the SIRT.

I agree. We need new cars.

I think they should keep the side LCD too. Not everyone gets a chance to see the front when it pulls in. Also unlock the end doors and put some kind a of tubey rubber things that they have on commuter car. Helps on the flow of passenger traffic.

I think they should keep the side LCD too. Not everyone gets a chance to see the front when it pulls in. Also unlock the end doors and put some kind a of tubey rubber things that they have on commuter car. Helps on the flow of passenger traffic.

lol, thats not even done with the R44s now (though I wont lie, they do look good).

When I rode the R44s on SI in 2004, the storm doors were not locked. I don't think there's a need for the tube things to bridge the gap b/w the cars. The SIRT doesn't have the sharp curves the subway has and is 'strait'.

Should ride the SIRT first. We don't lock the end doors. We only lock the A cabs if it's being used in a 5 car train or in a 4 car train.

• 4 months later...
I think they should keep the side LCD too. Not everyone gets a chance to see the front when it pulls in.

Well most of the time its going to go only one place, either St George or Tottenville depending on direction. If you happen to be on one of the express routes or the 4 or 5 'Great Kills' bound trains theres also announcements in the car.

• 1 month later...
Should ride the SIRT first. We don't lock the end doors. We only lock the A cabs if it's being used in a 5 car train or in a 4 car train.

I rode SIRT more then 15 times, tho I never tried to cross cars. Guess I'm use to the regular subway mentality. 75 feet, locked storms doors.

As for the award, I actually hoping Kawasaki gets the bid only because Kawasaki does a good job with NYC Subway. As for Commuter cars like the M8...yeah theres a reason why Rotem has more Silverliner Vs running.

Archived