Rick Springfield rocks out on 'Jessie's Girl' during surprise performance

Shortline Bus

rick12f-1-web.jpg

As subway buskers go, this one’s pretty good.

Eighties rocker Rick Springfield brought jaded New York commuters to a standstill Wednesday morning when he performed his hit, “Jessie’s Girl” at Manhattan’s Penn Station.

After getting several dozen onlookers to sing along — not all of them in key, unfortunately — Springfield boarded the 1 train and continued his concert on the go.

Reminder! Tomorrow morning! Rick's making you late to work in NYC starting at the 34th Street subway station,” the 63-year-old musician tweeted to his 23,000 followers the night before. “Then uptown on the 1 train with more stops! Follow Rick on Twitter for real time updates! #ricknyc

It was no token peformance — Springfield was in the midst of promoting his latest album, “Songs for the End of the World,” which was released Tuesday.

FYI. Mr. Springfield was a star on "General Hopstial" when this hit #1 in summer of 1981. Ladies and Gents in case you never heard of "Jessie Girl" here the video.

Great, now you got that song in my head....

But anyways, this just shows anything can happen in the NYCS.. (It feels so good to say that for a good reason for a change)

Hey that a '80's classic. Nothing wrong to liking it even if you were not born yet lol. :lol:

FYI., Another classic from Mr. Springfield.

Cool! First time somethin' like this has happened in a while.

So dumb question? Granted Rick Springfield is not an (A) list pop star anymore but when was the last time a singer with a #1 pop hit performed on the subway? And sorry guys i dont count music videos, there been dozens of singers who shot videos on the nyc subway system. :o

I'm old. *time flies* :excl:

I am Not far behind either my friend. Next stop AARP membership. :o Granted i was only 9 years old that fall of '81, Rick Springfield was almost as big as Justin Briber then as one of the planet's top pop stars. My sister had a huge crush on Springfield. However Rick, was hell(still is lol) of a better singer/musician and not a bad actor. :o

I am Not far behind either my friend. Next stop AARP membership. :o Granted i was only 9 years old that fall of '81, Rick Springfield was almost as big as Justin Briber then as one of the planet's top pop stars. My sister had a huge crush on Springfield. However Rick, was hell(still is lol) of a better singer/musician and not a bad actor. :o

:lol I heard AARP is corrupt.

I am Not far behind either my friend. Next stop AARP membership. :o Granted i was only 9 years old that fall of '81...

Fall of '81!? I was four! Ya know... when the hair on the sides of my head started to grow a tad faster than the hair on top of my head I was completely oblivious to the fact that I could, indeed, go bald! LOL

—Hairline Undefined

Archived