Some procurements

Amtrak7

What is your basis for saying the announcements worked off the wheel rotations? How do you know they weren't powered by the GPS system on board the buses? That has been the subject of controversy for some time now. And whatever system was in place in Long Island Bus, NICE hasn't changed it?

Well, for one, sometimes the announcements are clearly wrong . If the announcements for example are one stop off, it would remain that way unless the driver pulled up to a stop, changed the stop name manually, then open and closed the doors. 

I'm fairly certain that the announcements are wheel rotation based.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, for one, sometimes the announcements are clearly wrong . If the announcements for example are one stop off, it would remain that way unless the driver pulled up to a stop, changed the stop name manually, then open and closed the doors. 

Word life, I give N6 Limited major props for pointing this out:  :D

if there was a detour: your announcements were off

if the operator didn't have to make many stops (like on the 6 night car?) - your announcements were off (less distance without having to pull into stops).

If you've ever seen it, that's why drivers would play with the clever device interface and get the bus to the correct stop. If GPS was involved, none of that tedious button pressing would have to go down, it would just self-correct (like it does on CTA). Feel me?

I agree I'm pretty sure they are rotation based. There was GPS on some buses, mostly broken, that was for vehicle location. Today I was on a 3G and the driver was announcing the major stops through the microphone.

What is your basis for saying the announcements worked off the wheel rotations? How do you know they weren't powered by the GPS system on board the buses? That has been the subject of controversy for some time now. And whatever system was in place in Long Island Bus, NICE hasn't changed it?

The Clever Device works by satellite. Not by wheel rotation or any of the other assumptions that have been posted. The buses are currently being dry-run on all the routes for the new system that's being installed.

The Clever Device works by satellite. Not by wheel rotation or any of the other assumptions that have been posted. The buses are currently being dry-run on all the routes for the new system that's being installed.

I KNEW IT! By the way, that's coming from a driver right there!

Did you notice he said the buses are being "dry run"? That means that a new system is being tested. Hound can you verify that LIB used odometer based clever device announcements in the past? By the way thanks for the update, let us know how that gps based system works out.

Did you notice he said the buses are being "dry run"? That means that a new system is being tested. Hound can you verify that LIB used odometer based clever device announcements in the past? By the way thanks for the update, let us know how that gps based system works out.

Yes, I know how to read and I know to understand and define words.

1856 on the N20 had working Clever Device announcements. The door announcement is now "N20 to Flushing-Main Street via Northern Boulevard) and the stop announcements are apparently done by the same woman you hear when you request a stop

Thanks for the update. I'm gonna head out there soon then to see if I can catch it.

Lets be clear, according to the post we can assume that the NEW system  is running by GPS. The OLD system was definitely not GPS or it wouldn't have been wrong so frequently.

1856 on the N20 had working Clever Device announcements.  The door announcement is now "N20 to Flushing-Main Street via Northern Boulevard) and the stop announcements are apparently done by the same woman you hear when you request a stop

I found 1853 today on the n20 and decided to take it. Lucky for me, the announcements were on. The voice is certainly not the (MTA) voice or the old Clever Devices voice (which I like better). The volume on these announcements has been lowered and they show up on the LCD screen a bit longer before they're actually announced compared to the older 1800s.This new voice sounds a bit weird, but you can hear the door announcements in the video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpoRmreMaY

I was also using a camcorder for this video instead of my usual camera. The video looks better to me.

Edited by Brett

Yes I can verify the new system is working in the 3G's. Sounds pretty much like the one in use at NJ Transit. They also must've updated the systems on the older buses because "Thank You for Riding Long Island Bus" has been removed as I didn't hear it when the n35 passed the Westbury LIRR. And all the buses I was on today had working announcements. 

67007_570361772988943_1294123643_n.jpg

Approved by Mr. Clever Device himself! :P But, not gonna lie, the annoucnements sound a little weird.

Yes I can verify the new system is working in the 3G's. Sounds pretty much like the one in use at NJ Transit. They also must've updated the systems on the older buses because "Thank You for Riding Long Island Bus" has been removed as I didn't hear it when the n35 passed the Westbury LIRR. And all the buses I was on today had working announcements. 

Doesn't sound like the NJ Transit system at all except for the stop request announcement.

Lets be clear, according to the post we can assume that the NEW system  is running by GPS. The OLD system was definitely not GPS or it wouldn't have been wrong so frequently.

i tried to get that point across but i got clobbered lol. thanks for reiterating :-)

• 2 months later...

Looks like NICE is looking for some laptop computers:

RFQ V-1252

Request for Quotation

Title: Laptops
Category: Technology
Organization: Veolia Transportation Services, Inc.
Closing Date: June 20, 2013, 01:00 PM (Eastern)

Veolia Transportation Services, Inc. is soliciting quotations from qualified vendors to provide firm, fixed pricing for a quantity of ten (10) laptops. Contract term shall be for one (1) month from date of contract award. A contract will be awarded to the lowest, responsive and responsible bidder and prices shall remain firm throughout contract term. DBE Participation Goal for this procurement is 0%.

All questions must be submitted to Procurement Department’s point-of-contact by 12-noon EST on Tuesday, June 18, 2013. Responses (answers) will be provided to all vendors receiving RFQ packets. Quotations must be received on or before Thursday, June 20, 2013, 01:00PM EST by via email, hard copy or fax. 

The Procurement Dept’s Point-of-Contact is Email: Andrea.Martinez@veoliatransdev.comor Fax to Attn: (RFQ No. V1252): 516-794-8670.

Interested bidders should request, in writing, a copy of the RFQ Documents from Ms. Andrea Martinez, Procurement Associate, at Email: Andrea.Martinez@veoliatransdev.com. She may be contacted at phone number: 516-542- 0100, x 4317.

Funding support for this project is provided through a financial grant from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). In accordance with 49 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 26, participation of Disadvantage Business Enterprises (DBE) in all aspects of this federally funded contract will be encouraged and supported.

http://www.nicebus.com/About_NICE/Procurement/index.html

."DBE Participation Goal for this procurement is 0%."

Interesting that it appears that NICE will begin ranking what percentage of "participation" of Disadvantage Business Enterprises in their procurement's.

This is a complete joke, but a requirement of our government, a certain percentage of "vendors" receiving business from these type of grants must be DBE, or WBE's.

• 2 months later...

I found 1853 today on the n20 and decided to take it. Lucky for me, the announcements were on. The voice is certainly not the (MTA) voice or the old Clever Devices voice (which I like

better). The volume on these announcements

has been lowered and they show up on the LCD

screen a bit longer before they're actually

announced compared to the older 1800s.This

new voice sounds a bit weird, but you can hear

the door announcements in the video as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUpoRmreMaY

I was also using a camcorder for this video instead of my usual camera. The video looks better to me.

This is my first time reading the thread so forgive me for responding to a 6 month old post.

The voice in the video sound like the voice on NJTransit Rail (NJTR) that announces the station stops:

"The next station is Aberdeen-Matawan.When leaving the train please watch the gap"

"This station is Point Pleasant Beach"

or "The next and last station is New York Penn Station"

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

https://www.nicebus.com/About-NICE/Procurement

A couple of recent procurements.

This was the official Invitation for Bids for the 80 buses, and we all know that Gillig has won that one.

Invitation for Bid (IFB)
IFB No. V2022
Category: Bus Inspection Services
Organization: Transdev Services, Inc. d/b/a NICE Bus
Manufacturing Location: GILLIG LLC, 451 Discovery Drive, Livermore, CA 94551
IFB due Date and Time: 2/25/2021 at 10:00 A.M. ET 

Transdev Services, Inc. doing business as Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE Bus) is soliciting firm-fixed price bids from responsible firms for On-Site Bus Inspection Services at 451 Discovery Drive, Livermore, CA 94551. Contract term shall be six (6) years from date of award. The bus order shall be for 80 forty-foot CNG buses manufactured in 2021 with two (2) Options of 40 and 45 buses, respectively, that may be exercised in 2022 and/or in later years.  A contract shall be awarded to the lowest, responsive and responsible bidder and prices shall remain firm throughout the contract term. 

This one is for 4 hybrid cars, most likely for personnel.

Type: Request for Quotations (RFQ)
Hybrid Sports Utility Vehicles, RAV4 OR NICE Bus approved equal, 4 EA. 
Project Number: V-2053A
Category: Miscellaneous
Organization: Transdev Services, Inc. d/b/a NICE Bus
RFQ due Date and Time: May 19th, 2021 at 1:00 P.M. ET

Transdev Services, Inc. doing business as Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE Bus) seeks to purchase four (4) Hybrid Sports Utility Vehicles for its maintenance and transportation facility located at Mitchel Field in Garden City, NY. Seller shall deliver, setup, test and instruct the operation to NICE Bus Operations personnel. A contract will be awarded to the lowest, responsive and responsible offeror/quoter.