( 3 ) to the bronx.

depotofrelax

No....leave it as is.. You got the (2/5) for that.

The only reason why you see 62s passing in the Bx is foe cleaning purposes at E239 YD.. Same for the r142a

I would disagree on R142A. While (6) is mostly 100% R142A. (6) line have it own cleaning system & have car washing system ( Westchester Yard ) to wash their R142A.

Had part of the Ninth Ave EL still been up, The (3) might have seen Jerome service and could have used Burnside ave as the terminal... In present day, it would have to go via the (2) or (1) line to get up here... Still, I see no point in sending the (3) up here to be honest...

From nycsubway.org:

http://www.nycsubway...ependent_Subway

The 1940 Expansion Proposal

In the years 1938 (before Unification) and 1940 (after Unification), the Board of Transportation put forth revised plans for additional lines. These were the first plans to affect all three divisions of the New York City Transit System.

For the Bronx, three ideas were proposed - connecting the remnant of the 9th Ave El at 155th St with the IRT Lenox Ave Line, rehabilitating the abandoned New York, Westchester and Boston ROW and connecting it to the IRT Pelham Line, and extending the IND Concourse Line eastward towards Gun Hill Road. Speculation has it that the connection between the 9th Ave El and the Lenox Ave line never occurred because the third rail in the tunnel between Sedgwick and Jerome/Andersen Avenues would need to be modified to accommodate newer subway cars, and the cost may have been too great. The 9th Ave El remnant between 155th Street, Manhattan and 167th Street, the Bronx, became known as the Polo Grounds Shuttle and closed at 12:00am on September 1st, 1958. The NYW&B proposal, after being modified somewhat and at the cost of the Concourse Line extension, actually saw the light of day.

And from the wikipedia article one the Sedwick Avenue (IRT Ninth Avenue Line):

http://en.wikipedia....th_Avenue_Line)

The tunnel from Sedgwick Ave to Anderson – Jerome Avenue was built to NYC Elevated Railway standards. Those standards specified the clearance between the tracks and the sides of the tunnel only allowed for the "El" type open third rail instead of the covered third rail in use on the IRT Subway. The standard distance from the center of the track to the center of the El type open third rail-head is a few inches shorter than the distance to the subway type covered third rail-head. Thus, this design (flaw) prevented the line from being used in the future by standard IRT Subway equipment, and brought about the line's demise instead of being linked to the IRT Lenox Avenue Line at 148th St in Manhattan, which had been proposed by the NYC Board of Transportation in 1940.

I honestly can't believe this third rail problem might have prevented this from happening. How much would it have cost to move adjust it?

From nycsubway.org:

http://www.nycsubway...ependent_Subway

And from the wikipedia article one the Sedwick Avenue (IRT Ninth Avenue Line):

http://en.wikipedia....th_Avenue_Line)

I honestly can't believe this third rail problem might have prevented this from happening. How much would it have cost to move adjust it?

I asked myself the same question... I knew about the third rail issue but I really think it could have been converted had it been still up... The only thing left from it is that track stub next to Yankee stadium on River ave...

I asked myself the same question... I knew about the third rail issue but I really think it could have been converted had it been still up... The only thing left from it is that track stub next to Yankee stadium on River ave...

And they built the New Yankee Stadium smack-dab in its path, so there's no chance of connecting it again, unless they demolish the new Stadium.

What's the purpose of this anyway? Trust me, if ridership along White Plains Road warrants it, then the (3) will be sent up there...But its mainly a supplement for the (2) as well as a route servicing Harlem, West Side, Crown Heights, and East New York residents...I can't see my line being rerouted from 145th and 148th Streets unless they construct a wall for the Bronx extention or something...

The (3) has ridership, while not a high demanding line compared to the (2), (4), (1), and (6), as well as the (5). 239th yard washes any equipment used on the Brooklyn IRT and/or the (1).

(3)'s do go to the Bronx every day, in order to use 239's car wash, but those are lite moves. Just like the (1) goes to 207 and the (4) goes to Concourse to wash. Those 3's return to 148 yard though, nothing lays up in 239 anymore.

And before anybody gets some foamerific ideas, *NO* those (3)'s can't run in service, because these wash moves are not on the timetable, and don't run with a C/R on board.

Will there ever be plan to sent the (3) to the Bronx in near future. Some R62 store at 239 street yard. home of the (2)

I always wondered if there was ever a plan for the (3) Trains to have Weekday Limited Rush-Hour Service operating between either Wakefield-241st St, Gun Hill Road, or E 180th St, The Bronx and New Lots Av, Brooklyn (southbound AM and northbound PM). All I can say is that I've seen not-in-service (3) Trains zooming and passing by the (2) and (5) Train stations in The Bronx on such short occasions and let's just say, a few train operators might know a lot about this topic we're discussing. I'm just saying.

Physically, it is impossible to extend 145 Street on the (3) up to the Bronx, due to the fact it is on grade level and its proximity to the water. If someone tried to dig from there to the Bronx, the water table would screw the tunnel.

Translation:

It impossible to send (3) to Bronx. Station on grade level too close to water. Someone try to dig, tunnel in beeg problem.

For the sake of the Lord's sanity, please click this:http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic526630.files/BG%20Writing%20English.pdf

This is slightly related.

Since the New Lots line has a higher demand for 7 Av than does the Flatbush line (since that also has the (5)), would it be reasonable to send the (2) back to New Lots, with the (3) going to Flatbush? This isn't for foam reasons, it just seems like a good idea. Since the 3 runs less often than the 2 IIRC, the (5) trains to Utica could be rerouted to Flatbush if needed.

The (2) and (3) IIRC comes every 6 minutes combined. While it might be good for bronxnites to have extra service, the (3) to the Bronx probably won't happen unless the Lenox line is extended.

That's funny because they always seem to come one after another and then nothing for a good 10 mins. plus... Stupid set up, but that's the (MTA) for you. <_<

Archived