Hearing test for T/C?

sczmajor

Hi, I'm a 28 year old guy who scored around 90 for the Train Conductor exam.

To all the train conductors working for the MTA, can you please explain the exam you must take for the hearing test? I want to know if the machine testing you is extremelly conclusive or just a piece of junk? Or better yet, was there none?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I can't hear from one ear. Of course I won't admit this because it makes me feel disabled, but I been deaf with one ear for 25 years. I can hear perfectly in one ear.

In case you are wondering. None of my friends has noticed that I have a hearing problem. I'm very used to hearing with one ear but would be open to use a hearing machine if the MTA would allow me.

If the MTA check my health records, they won't find anything. When I was in public school, I would pass the hearing test by feeling the vibration of the headphone in my ear and I would know that a sound was occuring. I didn't wanted people to know because I knew that it would limit some jobs I could do in my life.

However, 8 years ago, I was tried joining The Marines but I failed the physical because I failed the hearing exam.

In the marines, I remember that they put me into an enclosed cubicle with a headphone that I would have to wear. I don't remember if there was a camera watching me but I think there was.

The machinery was very good because I was not able to hear the vibrations in the bad ear. I tried counting to 10 and then click the button (confirming I heard the sound) but failed.

They allowed me to take it again but failed.

I work as a Supervisor for a big chain hotel but I want to work for the MTA and would work there till I die. I wonder if anyone can give me any suggestions or idea so I can bypass this problem and get on with my life.

Also, by any chance. Does anyone know what's the current list number they are in?

To all the train conductors working for the MTA, can you please explain the exam you must take for the hearing test? I want to know if the machine testing you is extremelly conclusive or just a piece of junk? Or better yet, was there none?

The reason why I'm asking this is because I can't hear from one ear. Of course I won't admit this because it makes me feel disabled, but I been deaf with one ear for 25 years. I can hear perfectly in one ear.

In case you are wondering. None of my friends has noticed that I have a hearing problem. I'm very used to hearing with one ear but would be open to use a hearing machine if the MTA would allow me.

If the MTA check my health records, they won't find anything. When I was in public school, I would pass the hearing test by feeling the vibration of the headphone in my ear and I would know that a sound was occuring. I didn't wanted people to know because I knew that it would limit some jobs I could do in my life.

However, 8 years ago, I was tried joining The Marines but I failed the physical because I failed the hearing exam.

In the marines, I remember that they put me into an enclosed cubicle with a headphone that I would have to wear. I don't remember if there was a camera watching me but I think there was.

The machinery was very good because I was not able to hear the vibrations in the bad ear. I tried counting to 10 and then click the button (confirming I heard the sound) but failed.

I work as a Supervisor for a big chain hotel but I want to work for the MTA and would work there till I die. I wonder if anyone can give me any suggestions or idea so I can bypass this problem and get on with my life.

Also, by any chance. Does anyone know what's the current list number they are in?

Last I heard they were in the low 2800's...

You may have a problem because its a sound proof booth they put you in with headsets. I know a T/O who is deaf in one ear and since it happen while he was with TA they perminantly restricted him. He is unable to operate a train in Customer service.

Is he on the Garbage train or work trains ? Also Dave do you wear ear plugs or ear muffs ?

As far as the test goes your gonna fail its a pain in the ass for me and I can hear lol I mean thats kool trick to feel the vibration on the head phones. I don't think they will allow you to touch them once the test has begun.

MTAs machine does a beep sound in each ear, at different frequencies. They will find out, when you don't press that button when you suppose to numerous times......Might as well come clean, or just give it a shot, and see what happens....

Oh well, I guess I better start taking that e-commerce business more seriously now or else I'll stay in the hospitality business till the day I die.

The funny part is that I also passed the "Custom Border Patrol" exam to become an immigration officer but I don't know if they will allow to become an officer with a hearing problem.

oh well. I will give it a shot.B)

Archived