When will NYCT/MTA Bus install automatic announcements?

Mtatransit

I'm gonna be very interested to see how this turns out, if they do this. I wonder what system they'll use, they can go with Clever Devices, Orbital, the Siemens computerized voice crap they tried a few years ago, and there are others though I hear another big one has been taken over by Clever Devices recently.

Don't forget that MTA found Clever Devices' GPS tracking, automated announcement, and countdown clock system they tried on the M34/A up until this year to be too expensive, but I still think they might go with Clever Devices but just for the automated announcement/LED system like they did with Long Island Bus. If I'm not mistaken there is already a Clever Devices IVN computer on board all the buses, it runs the maintenance program and might power the BusTime system.

Is Digital Recorders still around. I always liked their systems.

I'm gonna be very interested to see how this turns out, if they do this. I wonder what system they'll use, they can go with Clever Devices, Orbital, the Siemens computerized voice crap they tried a few years ago, and there are others though I hear another big one has been taken over by Clever Devices recently.

Don't forget that MTA found Clever Devices' GPS tracking, automated announcement, and countdown clock system they tried on the M34/A up until this year to be too expensive, but I still think they might go with Clever Devices but just for the automated announcement/LED system like they did with Long Island Bus. If I'm not mistaken there is already a Clever Devices IVN computer on board all the buses, it runs the maintenance program and might power the BusTime system.

Wait, is Siemens the recorders they tried in Mannhattan (most notably on the artics) a few years back? I actually like them.

Is Digital Recorders still around. I always liked their systems.

Wait, is Siemens the recorders they tried in Mannhattan (most notably on the artics) a few years back? I actually like them.

I believe Digital Recorders is the one that Clever Devices took over. And yes, the Siemens system was on a few 126th D60s and I believe some other buses, I didn't like it since it sounded computerized and just depressed. Look up MTA automated announcements on YouTube and you should find some videos of it, just remember if you find any of the M34/A/M16 or LIB it's the Clever Devices system.

I believe Digital Recorders is the one that Clever Devices took over. And yes, the Siemens system was on a few 126th D60s and I believe some other buses, I didn't like it since it sounded computerized and just depressed. Look up MTA automated announcements on YouTube and you should find some videos of it, just remember if you find any of the M34/A/M16 or LIB it's the Clever Devices system.

Yes, now I recall. We have those down here, so I'm used to them. If anyone knows the recorders LACMTA uses, I'd recommend those.

Iread it was rather expensive to fit each bus with the clever devices system, at 20k a bus.

And we have over 6,000 buses I believe...

Start fitting them in the new buses (under 3 year old buses). Then reuse the systems from the retired ones. Best way possible

Yes, now I recall. We have those down here, so I'm used to them. If anyone knows the recorders LACMTA uses, I'd recommend those.

Start fitting them in the new buses (under 3 year old buses). Then reuse the systems from the retired ones. Best way possible

Those estimates were IIRC if they were also to install BusTime and countdown clocks. If they only ordered automated announcements and interior LED signs like they did with LIB and stuck with MTA BusTime for tracking then it'd probably cost much less.

Archived