Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BrooklynBus

A Tale of Two Cities - Chicago and New York

[float=left]post-5097-0-68790900-1350403774_thumb.jpg[/float]Hey, let’s give Chicago top billing for a change. I’ve always wondered why Downtown Chicago retained its Els when New York City decided to get rid of them in Downtown and Midtown. I think I figured out the reason on a five-day trip to Chicago in August.

While most of New York’s elevated lines were built over streets — many of them from building line to building line, blocking out virtually all natural sunlight below — that isn’t the case with what remains of Chicago’s downtown elevated lines, called “The Loop.”

Read more: Part 1 Part 2

post-5097-0-68790900-1350403774_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

LOL.... Not exactly shocking in terms of how clean Chicago is... New York is by far the dirtiest city I've ever lived in. Florence (Italy) is pretty clean, as was Plattsburgh. Montréal (outside of the Downtown area) is spotless.

• Upvote 1

You folks haven't been on the Red Line, after midnight, on a hot summer's eve...?

Edit: And while I noticed that this is a tourist's POV and observation, the author needs to spend time and experience some of the issues that face the transit agencies here. It took years for us to get to where we are now (because some stations had schedules from the mid-1990's).

Edited by RookiePhenom
  • Upvote 3

However, unlike New York, where some have to pay a double fare, in Chicago there is no extra charge to ride a third bus or subway.

Not true, sorry, you can have 3 transfers in spots.

Some stations had ancient fare controls.

Same with New York, those old black exit only things. Some of the turnstiles are very old.

Not true, sorry, you can have 3 transfers in spots.

Okay, but I find it difficult to believe that someone would take three buses and a train to get anywhere even if they could do it on one fare.

Same with New York, those old black exit only things. Some of the turnstiles are very old.

Where do we have turnstiles that were not replaced when MetroCard was introduced?

Edited by BrooklynBus
  • Upvote 2

Okay, but I find it difficult to believe that someone would take three buses and a train to get anywhere even if they could do it on one fare.

I can see a 3-seat-plus-rail ride being difficult in NYC, but it's not impossible here.

You folks haven't been on the Red Line, after midnight, on a hot summer's eve...?

Edit: And while I noticed that this is a tourist's POV and observation, the author needs to spend time and experience some of the issues that face the transit agencies here. It took years for us to get to where we are now (because some stations had schedules from the mid-1990's).

Yup. No offense those living in Chicago's South Side, but the Red Line travels thru the roughest/worst crime areas in the midwest if not the country.

• Upvote 2

I went there, and I'd say that it's pretty interesting, their subway turnstiles, when I saw them while filling up my reduced-fare CTA card at the station, their turnstiles are dip, not swipe turnstiles!

Yup. No offense those living in Chicago's South Side, but the Red Line travels thru the roughest/worst crime areas in the midwest if not the country.

Although I was referring to the North Side Main, the south side can get rough. That's for another discussion.

/Rode the North End for 15 years

//Realistically never takes the train south of 47th

///Resides on the Blue Line Now

NYC is much safer than Chicago. Why is there even a comparison?

South and West sides of Chi town does have it's crime issues. The great article were comparison of the transit systems, not the safety of the cities although NYC Subways do run through tough areas as well.

NYC is much safer than Chicago. Why is there even a comparison?

You're overgeneralizing. Blazer said it best where some parts of the city has it's crime issues. Chicago has its as well as you guys do in NYC.

IMO, it's a wash.

I was safe as a Tourist when I visited twice (although I couldn't stand the tourists in NYC), and I've ridden the rails in Chicago since I was 12 with only one incident (and that was fending off a lecher from two teenage girls when I was 17).

South and West sides of Chi town does have it's crime issues. The great article were comparison of the transit systems, not the safety of the cities although NYC Subways do run through tough areas as well.

Yes, crime is a separate issue. Thanks for the compliment saying it was a great article. However, it wasn't so much a comparison between the two systems. That you can get by looking up both systems on wikipedia and comparing statistics.

What I was trying to do is just show some subtle differences between the two cities that you wouldn't find anywhere else, like the friendliness toward bicycles for example. Not only does our MTA not promote bike use (other than the few shelters we have because of DOT), whereas Chicago even gives you indoor space at some stations to store bikes, the MTA doesn't even permit you to chain your bikes to MTA elevated entrances. They post signs specifically stating that any bikes chained to MTA property will be removed.

• Upvote 1