Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
qjtransitmaster

Lhota wants to extend the "7" line to the Chelsa area

a-jose-no7_0.png

"M.T.A. chairman Joe Lhota this morning said he would like to see another extension of the 7 train, to provide more mass transit access to underserved parts of Manhattan's west side.

"As far as big projects are concerned, I can actually see the extension of the No. 7 train to other parts of New York City's west side," said Lhota, speaking on a panel at the Regional Plan Association's 22nd annual regional assembly.

Lhota said, it's something he'd like to see "go all the way down to 23rd Street, and the West Side Highway, so we can incorporate that portion of the west side that's not receiving a whole lot of coverage."

Right now, the M.T.A. is in the process of extending the No. 7 line to 11th Avenue and 34th Street, and there had been some discussion of extending it yet further, to Secaucus, N.J. (Lhota threw water on that idea earlier this month.)

Since assuming his position late last year, Lhota has been reluctant to discuss new expansions of the existing mass transit system, since the authority's finances are in a precarious state and it's already a struggle to keep the currently constituted system in a state of good repair.

So his remarks today came as something of a surprise, even if the new expansion isn't anything that will be happening anytime soon. Lhota said the project "may not necessarily be in the very next capital plan," though it's something he'd like to see.

In a follow-up email, M.T.A. spokesman Adam Lisberg wrote, "Very long-term, it would be a nice idea. But not in the next capital plan."

http://www.capitalne...eet-and-west-si

After reading the article, Lhota may have guts but where is the money?

Well it's be cheaper to do it now then in 20 years, so I say go for it.

• Upvote 1

by the way this article is old.

Yes because this was stated 14 hours ago. Below post.

For the record, that article is half a year old.

• Upvote 1

Guest MTA Bus

Extending the (7) to Chelesa Pires is not a bad idea. But the MTA should pace themselves. Finish the 34th Street extension first.

• Upvote 1

Can you people READ? He DID say it won't even be in the next Capital Program. Some of these comments can be etremely stupid sometimes.

• Upvote 2

so we can incorporate that portion of the west side that's not receiving a whole lot of coverage.

Neither are many parts of Brooklyn and Queens. What about those people that cram on buses? I find it odd that Chelsea peeps cannot walk to 8th Avenue. Upper-east-siders walk to Lex.

Neither are many parts of Brooklyn and Queens. What about those people that cram on buses? I find it odd that Chelsea peeps cannot walk to 8th Avenue. Upper-east-siders walk to Lex.

People just become lazier when they reach Manhattan. The distance between 2 avenues suddenly becomes a mile wide. The MTA map does a good job of illustrating that distortion.

• Upvote 1

I hope this doesn't turn into a discussion about all of the other new lines that people want to be built instead of this.

No it seems to be all about some members quick to knock others for posting "old news" and people complaining about people with "stupid" comments in this case. Nothing out of the ordinary it seems. What's wrong with bringing up an older article for current up to date discussion? FYI I'm not directing this at you, I'm saying this in general.

Well it's be cheaper to do it now then in 20 years, so I say go for it.

I agree. Why not if the agency can come up with funding for this as it will bring up property values in the areas to be served and bring in more revenue for the city in the long term? Paying off the costs of construction after a given period of time? I think this could work. However Censin and Quill depot does have a point as listed in the above posts.

Edit: Oh wait, that may give the agency the excuse to impose even more hefty fare hikes to pay for this wouldn't it? It's bad as it is now.

Edited by realizm

the issue isnt really the whole extention a stop, its going beyond that and keeping the tail track concept. but cbtc may correct that anyway