LIRR Opens New High-Tech Train Wash

Harry

[float=left]post-5097-0-61144900-1350589676_thumb.jpg[/float]The LIRR officially open its new $25.5 million, state-of-the-art train wash facility located in the Village of Babylon. LIRR President Helena Williams was joined by elected and public officials for a demonstration and a dedication ceremony for the Railroad's new train wash.

The new facility is expected to clean the exterior of more than 320 train cars a day. Up until now, the LIRR's over 1,000-car electric fleet was cleaned at the LIRR's only other train wash at the entrance to its Ronkonkoma Train Yard.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-61144900-1350589676_thumb.jpg

I can't understand how the spend millions to keep the exteriors clean but what is done with the interiors of trains and buses?? My uncle told me that they don't clean the inside of the buses. At that time he was working out of 100 st Depot. Now I have seen videos of the subway cars being overhauled and cleaned then but I wonder how often they clean the interiors of subway, LIRR and MetroNorth trains? Hell buses too while we're at it. I will say that I do find the LIRR and MetroNorth trains pretty clean but I wonder if it has anything to do with the ticket collectors coming back and forth...

I can't understand how the spend millions to keep the exteriors clean but what is done with the interiors of trains and buses?? My uncle told me that they don't clean the inside of the buses. At that time he was working out of 100 st Depot. Now I have seen videos of the subway cars being overhauled and cleaned then but I wonder how often they clean the interiors of subway, LIRR and MetroNorth trains? Hell buses too while we're at it. I will say that I do find the LIRR and MetroNorth trains pretty clean but I wonder if it has anything to do with the ticket collectors coming back and forth...

At GCT people come and clean the trains while there on layover between runs, I think they do that at Atlantic Terminal too if I remember correctly.

Cams and Car Cleaners clean for both RR. Conductors have nothing to do with clean trains.

Cams and Car Cleaners clean for both RR. Conductors have nothing to do with clean trains.

What are "cams"? As for your other point, the point I was making is that people tend to be less slobs when they know someone may be watching them, and if they see ticket collectors walking back and forth they think twice about making a mess.

What are "cams"? As for your other point, the point I was making is that people tend to be less slobs when they know someone may be watching them, and if they see ticket collectors walking back and forth they think twice about making a mess.

Car appearance Maintainers (cleaners). Huh are you kidding me, I wish you can see what one shift is like for a CAM and how much garbage we pull off trains. You would be surprised of the things people leave on and under seats. Some branches worst then others.

Conductors and Collectors can't enforce anyone to take their garbage with them. They say it over the P.A as a courtesy.

Of course not. My point was that people in general tend to be nastier when people aren't around. My question is why do the commuter trains look so much cleaner than the subway cars? Do you guys clean those more often as opposed to the subways or what's the deal?

Of course not. My point was that people in general tend to be nastier when people aren't around. My question is why do the commuter trains look so much cleaner than the subway cars? Do you guys clean those more often as opposed to the subways or what's the deal?

Trains get cleaned when in storage and also get what we called turned when they come into the yard and go back out in a short period of time. But the best answer is " We are just doing our JOB" . Media tends to label RR workers as lazy in which that is not the case . Trains are tended all times of the day. While most are sleep , I'm at work . But thanks for noticing.. As for transit I think they can be only clean at the end of the day or tour.

Trains get cleaned when in storage and also get what we called turned when they come into the yard and go back out in a short period of time. But the best answer is " We are just doing our JOB" . Media tends to label RR workers as lazy in which that is not the case . Trains are tended all times of the day. While most are sleep , I'm at work . But thanks for noticing.. As for transit I think they can be only clean at the end of the day or tour.

LOL... For what I pay for service on the LIRR and MetroNorth, you'd better believe I'd notice... :lol:

At GCT people come and clean the trains while there on layover between runs, I think they do that at Atlantic Terminal too if I remember correctly.

The coach cleaners at GCT don't do much more than pick up trash and mop up any messes. During the day trains will dead head to High Bridge Yard for E cleaning (heavy cleaning).

Archived