Why can't trains on the Manhattan Bridge run faster?

RollOver

I never said theres a speed limit on structure.

Meh, must be my foggy memory then from another discussion way back in the beginning of summer when I erroneously thought trains do run slower on elevated track. You clarified that for me with the correct information on that. It was a Septa T/O (not on this site) who must have said this putting me under the wrong impression.

In addition, guys, the (R) train can hardly exceed 30 MPH in the tunnel, I'm pretty sure.

Yeah; the Montague is slower, and the timers go almost all the way across, Manhattan bound, and it levels off at the bottom (less of a grade), so you would think it would have less timers. It might be to protect the switch leading to the Nessau line.

Manny B (both directions) 23 max on the downgrade, select timers clear slower. As was stated before, you don't get the big timer-free downgrade to push 45+ since there's no upgrade to slow you down again.

The Manny is faster than the Willie, but not by much. The Willie just looks faster based on how it's built, R160 equipment, and the signals are closer together. Its just like people think the south side of the bridge is faster than the north side, when the opposite is true. There is only ONE timer that clears slower than 22 on the north side, there are a few on the south side. its just the south side has R160 equipment, the north side has 68/A.

The Manhattan is faster since they finished rebuilding it. In the 70's, it seemed like it was 15 all the way across.

I've noticed that without fail on the Manny B approach to Dekalb and 4th Avenue, the N always seems to make the switch first into 4th avenue as the D train waits (when they are simultaneously on bridge or at the series of switches underground under Atlantic Ave extension approaching Dekalb Avenue.) This seems to always happen without fail no matter what. Unsure as to why.

Could be just my timing? but I'm don't think so since I do travel to South BK alot via 6th ave.

I've noticed that without fail on the Manny B approach to Dekalb and 4th Avenue, the N always seems to make the switch first into 4th avenue as the D train waits (when they are simultaneously on bridge or at the series of switches underground under Atlantic Ave extension approaching Dekalb Avenue.) This seems to always happen without fail no matter what. Unsure as to why.

Could be just my timing? but I'm don't think so since I do travel to South BK alot via 6th ave.

Because north-bound N always lets the D goes first before entering 36th St, therefore they let N goes first in the south-bound to balance it out. But both trains actually meet more often at north-bound than at south-bound.

Because north-bound N always lets the D goes first before entering 36th St, therefore they let N goes first in the south-bound to balance it out. But both trains actually meet more often at north-bound than at south-bound.

This doesn't sound correct to me. I think it's all based on schedule, not a set "priority" given to certain lines.

Willy B (both directions) 20mph max from 2/5's up (first timer) all the way down to the beginning to the portal decent (Manhattan-bound), then 13.

20 Max? I dont think so i have done 30 past the resume sign leaving those curves past Marcy going into Manhattan and those timers clear at 18 mph...

Going towards Marcy you can do 25 Max till the 1st timer then 18 till about the timer, now before Marcy you got to slow down more.

I been going over this bridge since 2009..

Remember there is another factor. The trains cause the bridge to flex too much. Since the tracks were place on the outside the bridge sways at a level that isn't normal. Over time it damages the bridge.

Since the tracks were on the outer part of the bridge, passing trains caused the structure to tilt and sway. The wobble worsened as trains became longer and heavier. Eventually over years, when one train moved over the bridge one side would be lower than 3 feet than the other side. Something had to be done. In 1956 at a cost of 30 million dollars a repair program was begun. Still, during these repairs trains could still cross the bridge, but many times one of the tracks had to be closed with both travel lanes reduced to one track, further restricting the number and size of the trains crossing.

http://books.google.com/books?id=u-EDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA126&dq=&hl=en&sa=X&ei=uoxET6-bFcPVgQf2s_i2BA&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q&f=true

Train drivers are trained to drive the train slowly on the bridge because of two reasons:

1: If that train makes a large bump, it can fall through and kill everyone

2: A bridge will vibrate too much from so many fast traveling trains especially if they are high above the water and they will eventually collapse, thats why before the Manhattan Bridge had several structural issues

The (B)(D)(N)(Q) on the Manhattan Bridge isn't alone

Same thing on the (J)(M)(Z) on the Williamsburg Bridge

(A) on its two bridges by Broad Channel

and the (1) over the Broadway Bridge between 215th and 225th Streets

In terms of timing, it is better to use the Manhattan Bridge line because it is a short cut from Canal St to DeKalb Avenue Brooklyn, remember since the (R) is a local service going through Lower Manhattan that is an extra 7 stops, considering the (R) practically goes undeerneath the New York Harbor so that is a long travel time from one borough to the next, so even if the trains run slowly on the bridge, it is still going to be a quicker way.

I really think that railfans, because they enjoy "roller coaster" express runs, get under the false assumption that an express train won't save you time unless it goes really fast. It's not the case; going 25 MPH (on the bridge) instead of 30-35 MPH (in the tunnel) doesn't make that huge of a difference. It's still much faster over the bridge.

Archived