Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
LIRR 154

Metro North taking applications for Customer Service Rep and Ticket Seller

Neither are horrible jobs.

Being both are governed by the same union you can be hired as a ticket seller and then bid into the CSR job (as long as you seniority permits).

There are also numerous other positions under that union agreement that range from custodian, storeroom clerk, station master clerk...

Edited by Truckie

Both jobs requre 2 years of customer service experience and I don't have that. I guess I will just wait for the next opening for conductor or assistant condcutor.

Both jobs requre 2 years of customer service experience and I don't have that. I guess I will just wait for the next opening for conductor or assistant condcutor.

Last time I looked, they wanted two years in customer service for those titles too.

They do for conductor, but I don't think so for assistant conductor. For assis. conductor, I think the requirements said customer service experience was "preferred" rather than required.

Edited by Donald

If you wait for Metro North to post assistant conductor positions, you'll be waiting a very long time.

Metro North does not advertise or hire for assistant conductor positions anymore and haven't for well over two years. Anyone that goes through the conductor training program comes out as a fully qualified conductor. This will take anywhere between 10 to 12 months depending on territory qualified on.

Whether or not you can hold a conductor job after you mark up is a different story. That all depends on your seniority.

And yes, they want customer service experience for the position.

Edited by Truckie

Same goes for LIRR, word is next recruitment is going to be in house. Lots of changes are going to be going on how LIRR hires.

Currently Metro North hires off the street for the conductor training program. With that said there is no real advantage of being internal. Some of the more recent classes have had 1 internal transfer out of 14 and other classes as much as 6 internals out of 14. The numbers being what they are I can't see any rhyme or reason as to how it is decided who gets hired when.

By hired I mean accepted into the program. Internals go through the same exact "hiring" process as externals.

Currently Metro North hires off the street for the conductor training program. With that said there is no real advantage of being internal. Some of the more recent classes have had 1 internal transfer out of 14 and other classes as much as 6 internals out of 14. The numbers being what they are I can't see any rhyme or reason as to how it is decided who gets hired when.

By hired I mean accepted into the program. Internals go through the same exact "hiring" process as externals.

LIRR usually have two recruitments , they will have a small recruitment for LIRR employees only and a larger one for all applicants. Employees moving from craft to craft in the LIRR happens often. I know a couple of people who was in M of E for two crafts and went to Transportation . Situations like that aren't uncommon.