179th St "F Terminal question?

qjtransitmaster

If you're talking about the 179th Street station, then this is part of the answer:

http://www.stationreporter.net/ftrain.htm

179th Street (179th Street and Hillside Ave) opened 12/10/1950: This is a very large terminal station, and is the newest station on the Queens Blvd line. The station has 4 tracks on 2 island platforms, beyond it at the eastern end lies 8 relay tracks, 4 on the upper level and 4 on the lower level. F trains use either track on the northbound platform, discharge and fumigate the train, then use one of the 8 relay tracks to turn the train and come in on either track on the southbound platform. The relay track configuration gives some theoretical evidence that the line was planned to be extended to Little Neck Parkway and Hillside Ave. Some unnamed sources can confirm a partial tunnel was actually excavated beyond the 185th Street wall, and sidewalk gratings are present further up Hillside Ave. A total of 13 street stairs are laid out over 3 blocks on Hillside Ave, and there are at least 5 stairs to each platform. Full time booth is at east end of station between 179th and 180th Streets, with 8 street stairs. The station is slated be ADA accessible; an elevator is under construction at the Southeast corner of Hillside Ave and 179th Place. Part time booth is at 178th Street and has 5 street stairs. A full length mezzanine connects both fare control areas. Artwork is untitled and features two life-sized construction workers simulating that they are holding up the mezzanine’s ceiling.

There is no way it was built that far, the most there is at the end of those tail tracks is a station shell or a partial tunnel...

You're just asking this question so you can see if they can build a station at FL so you can combine your Q76 and Q77.

It's not going to happen. :LOCK:

Just saying, if you play OpenBVE on the (F), when you go past 179 St there is a station called 187 St. Not sure how that is related, but just putting it out there.

That isn't related lol

(and that's the old (F) anyway)

Guest MTA Bus

After 179th Street, the tunnels extend to at least 185th Street. I think the IND was thinking about extending it to Francis Lewis Blvd, but it never happened.

That sounds about right. That's what I was thinking from old research. The physical evidence from street level shows ventilation grates installed at least up to the intersection of 184th place (If I remember correctly) and Hillside Avenue, also 185th street and Hillside There's a pharmacy on that block. There is a Key Food on that block preceding that intersection from Hillside Ave.

From another thread it was proven that the upper level of the tunnels past 179 was once proposed as an extension to the city line from posted documents. But as MTA bus stated it never happened once the Archer Ave extension was put on the table as an alternative, of course only partially built itself.

Cant remember if there was grates past in front of the personal touch right by the Personal touch on that intersection of 188th and Hillside, that but I have a hunch there is. It;'s been a long time since I've lived there. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from foggy memories from High School days.

After 179th Street, the tunnels extend to at least 185th Street. I think the IND was thinking about extending it to Francis Lewis Blvd, but it never happened.

As realizm said, the plan was for it to go to somewhere near Nassau County (the official IND 1939 map shows it stopping at Little Neck Road). From what research I have done, I havent seen anything after the aforementioned 1939 plan that pertains to Hillside Avenue.

There is no way it was built that far, the most there is at the end of those tail tracks is a station shell or a partial tunnel...

It was built till 187th...

That sounds about right. That's what I was thinking from old research. The physical evidence from street level shows ventilation grates installed at least up to the intersection of 184th place (If I remember correctly) and Hillside Avenue, also 185th street and Hillside There's a pharmacy on that block. There is a Key Food on that block preceding that intersection from Hillside Ave.

From another thread it was proven that the upper level of the tunnels past 179 was once proposed as an extension to the city line from posted documents. But as MTA bus stated it never happened once the Archer Ave extension was put on the table as an alternative, of course only partially built itself.

Cant remember if there was grates past in front of the personal touch right by the Personal touch on that intersection of 188th and Hillside, that but I have a hunch there is. It;'s been a long time since I've lived there. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going from foggy memories from High School days.

There are grates just shy off of 187 as far as I can remember.

Archived