Transportation Alternative GoesOn GuinessWorld Attempt 2 Stop MTA Fare Hike

FamousNYLover

Trasportation Alternative's Rider Rebellin, transit advocate are going to attempt to ride all subway lines in order to get all subway riders to signed their petition to "STOP FARE HIKE."

Here are some information.

Race to Stop the Fare Hike

In the Guinness Book of World Records, there's a record for riding every line in the New York City subway in the shortest time. To stop the fare hike and put 100,000 eyes on our "Stop the Fare Hike" petition, T.A.'s Transit Advocate Stefanie Gray is going to be the first ever woman to attempt to break the record.

Make no mistake: T.A.'s "Race to Stop the Fare Hike" is a straight-up publicity stunt. A fare hike is looming (the most recent prediction is a $21 increase on your monthly MetroCard) and we can only get Governor Cuomo to stop it with your help.

Let's get 50,000 New Yorkers to sign our "Stop the Fare Hike" petition by making sure our stunt gets a ton of buzz. More than 15,000 New Yorkers have signed already. Join the race to help us meet our goal!

More information is available at: http://transalt.org/files/newsroom/streetbeat/2012/Oct/1011.html#art2

Start: October 23, 2012 - 12:00pm

End: October 24, 2012 - 12:00pm

Subway system

GOING FOR THE GUINNESS WORLD RECORD TAKE ACTION

map_rz.png?v=1

We’re going to break the record!

Join the race as a virtual rider and we’ll make you part of this historic stunt.

get-updates.png In the Guinness Book of World Records, there’s a record for riding every line in the New York City subway in the shortest time.

To stop the fare hike and put 100,000 eyes on our “Stop the Fare Hike” petition, T.A.’s Transit Advocate Stefanie Gray is going to be the first ever woman to attempt to break the record. And she’s going to need your help to succeed. We need virtual transit riders to support Stefanie and her crew while she attempts to break the record:Join the "Race to Stop the Fare Hike."

Is breaking a world record on your bucket list? Now’s your chance at some serious bragging rights. You can join Stefanie by following the race from your phone or computer. Sign up to be a virtual rider in the "Race to Stop the Fare Hike."

To join the race, you only need an e-mail address. Here’s what we’ll send you:

• An exclusive, sneak-peek map of our "Race to Stop the Fare Hike" route

• Updates on Stefanie and her crew, as they race from station to station

• A critical role in our Twitter-bomb campaign to put 100,000 eyes on our "Stop the Fare Hike" petition

Make no mistake: T.A.’s "Race to Stop the Fare Hike" is a straight-up publicity stunt. A fare hike is looming (the most recent prediction is a $21 increase on your monthly MetroCard) and we can only get Governor Cuomo to stop it with your help. Let’s get 50,000 New Yorkers to sign our “Stop the Fare Hike” petition by making sure our stunt gets a ton of buzz. More than 15,000 New Yorkers have signed already. Join the race to help us meet our goal!

I hope she will be successful.

between these idiots, the union and the moron club in albany, some days i wonder how the MTA is able to work at all.

they need money, two don't want it to have money and the third wants them to give them all thier money.

Transportation alternatives, and all ther other so called "rider advocites" are just hypocrites. they have the gaul to tell the MTA what to do with their services and then try to tell them how they can and can't raise money to do what they want them to do.

Care to elaborate beyond a 1 line statement?^

between these idiots, the union and the moron club in albany, some days i wonder how the MTA is able to work at all.

they need money, two don't want it to have money and the third wants them to give them all thier money.

Transportation alternatives, and all ther other so called "rider advocites" are just hypocrites. they have the gaul to tell the MTA what to do with their services and then try to tell them how they can and can't raise money to do what they want them to do.

Yup, costs continues to go up as does inflation. At least at worst the base fare will go up a quarter instead of a drastic $3 fare. Plus what city allows a bus-subway transfer and a single fare [vs zoned fare] from the Bronx all the way to SI? Even though fare hikes are unfair, we have it made.

What needs to happen is the stricter enforcement of payment especially in some areas of the city where you have those that are just criminals or people who feel 'entitled' to a free ride because they think they shouldn't have to pay and force the rest of us to cover for them. Imo, areas that have high fare evasion should have services scaled back or more cops stationed in those areas to enforce the fare.

Not gonna' work...

Unfortunately it didn't work when people protested against the termination of W service. Maybe it was their approach.

What needs to happen is the stricter enforcement of payment especially in some areas of the city where you have those that are just criminals or people who feel 'entitled' to a free ride because they think they shouldn't have to pay and force the rest of us to cover for them. Imo, areas that have high fare evasion should have services scaled back or more cops stationed in those areas to enforce the fare.

Good points but I can't help but be concerned about people who cannot continue to accommodate for these fare hikes. Honest working people who are hit with hard times will do desperate things

That being said I would love to participate if I only had the time on my hands to do so, for this is a good cause. I'm totally against this continued assault of unreasonable fare hikes.

Obviously it is unfair to those that can't afford it, but on the same coin, it's unfair to the those of us that have to 'cover' their fare in terms of another fare hike or service cuts. If more and more people felt the same about not paying because the fare is too high, then there'd be no one left to cover the costs from the fares collected and nothing runs. People have to pay for what they get. '"Nothing's free."

To me, as steep as a $20 card maybe to some, the bonus is worth the cost for it than to keep buying amounts enough for a round trip. I would rather keep the bonus than to sacrifice it to keep the $2.25 fare as is for a few more 'months'.

I wish Stefanie luck in setting a new record for riding the whole subway system, but it will not convince the MTA to keep the base fate and unlimited ride card prices right where they are. And it will not convince the Klown Kollege that passes for our State Legislature up in Albany to do a better job funding the MTA. But at the very least, the MTA should choose one of the two fare hike packages that calls for raising the base fare to $2.50, because those are the ones that call for a much smaller increase in the cost of the weekly and monthly MetroCards. It's mostly tourists and other occasional riders who pay the base fare. Don't give them a break.

She didn't make it. According to today's AM New York, several delays and service cancellations caused Stefanie and her two companions to fall short of the mark. After 22 hours, 52 minutes and 36 seconds of riding (that's the Guiness World Record set in January 2010), they got to East 180th St and still hadn't completed the (4), (5), (6) and (D) lines.

True, I'm going under the assumption if a person were to do that transfer within the 2hr 18min limit. Otoh, I guess it won't be necessary. Now if there was an OOS transfer for the (3) and (L), that would be excellent. And I guess they could place an * to note that there was an OOS transfer used. I'm going to go with the idea a person should use the system on one fare for it to count. Lol, another hypothetical: what if a person needs a bus subway shuttle?

Trasportation Alternative's Rider Rebellin, transit advocate are going to attempt to ride all subway lines in order to get all subway riders to signed their petition to "STOP FARE HIKE."

Transportation Alternatives ENDORSED the 2010 "bailout" plan, which REQUIRES fare hikes every two years. For TA to now oppose the mandatory fare hike is hypocritical at best.

Archived