How to become a MTA Train Operator?

JAzz

Hi everyone, It seems as I have just missed the MTA TO exam according to what I have been searching for online. Still with that said, can someone please give me a step to step walk through on the complete process of becoming a MTA TO (including what exams I have to take, where do I apply, time frames, any study guides available for the exams etc.) and if anyone may know when the next exam may be? I have been driving a NYC Yellow Cab for the past 6 years and also have completed my Masters degree in a Health/fitness related field. However, the job market is not the greatest for me right now and I am looking to make a transition into the MTA due to career stabilty. With my experience in the transportation business across NYC, I know I can do well in the MTA if given the chance. Thank you all in advance for any help or input.

Jazz

Hey Jazz, Well to become a T/O you have to take the exam for the title when it becomes available. The only problem is the last exam to be offered in 2009 was the last open competitive exam for the title, meaning every T/O exam being offered in the future will be strictly promotional. In the mean time you should try other open competitive exams to get your foot in the door. You can see what exams are available on this website http://www.mtabsc.info/ , and a useful place for study materials would be "the civil service book store" in lower manhattan. I hope this information was useful to you and good luck

Yes it is, and it was offered a couple of times this year and hopefully will be available in 2013, did you apply for the track worker position in July-August?

I have not actually. I had recently started looking into MTA careers in the last month or so. I guess I will just keep checking for any updated positions to get my foot in the door in the mean time.

But remember that d.c.a.s isn't going to be handling MTA exams anymore, TA is transitioning everything over to themselves. With exams and everything else employee related transitioning over to the BSC it basically confirms this. I'm not agreeing with their decision I also took the exam in 2009 but but even with that it's not a promotion they want you to resign from title before you take the job (this applies to off the street C/R's who took the off the street T/O exam)

• 6 years later...

I have always wanted a job as a train operator since I graduated high school with my regents diploma. I am considering a career in networking and information technology administration and figured being a train operator would be a great place to start because I know how to operate the new technology trains such as the R142/142As the R143s the R160A/R160Bs the R179s and the R188s. I took simulator training for this at NYU Tandon School of engineering when I was 20 years old over the summer. Also a train service supervisor  took me for real life training on the M line when I was 20 years old to make sure I took my simulator training properly. I was tested on an R160A.

now as a high school graduate I am thinking about being a train operator. I will study at NYU Tandon school of engineering and then apply to be tested.

If you are interested in becoming a train operator check out NYU Tandon school of engineering 

engineering.nyu.edu