Last bus expected to roll off Orion assembly line Monday

DJ MC

It's bittersweet. I liked the 1993-1996 Orion Vs, hate the 1999 batch because they ride like crap, love the 2002-2004 Orion VII CNGs & Hybrids, the NGs and the new 3G diesels we have. The Orion V CNG = Most overrated bus in our generation.

It's going to be a sad day indeed. It'll be even more sad when the very last NovaBus RTS-06 gets retired.

Man the 1994 Orion Vs Lynx had were indeed the most noted buses we had around here with their Series 92 engines and ZF transmissions. They were quite loud when they accelerated since they had the two cycle Series 92 engine all the way into their retirement. They will indeed be missed along with Orion itself. We bought two more Orion Vs in 2000 and we would be the last ones in the state of Florida to buy Orion buses. Good memories of those buses.

It's bittersweet. I liked the 1993-1996 Orion Vs, hate the 1999 batch because they ride like crap, love the 2002-2004 Orion VII CNGs & Hybrids, the NGs and the new 3G diesels we have. The Orion V CNG = Most overrated bus in our generation.

It's going to be a sad day indeed. It'll be even more sad when the very last NovaBus RTS-06 gets retired.

Yes, I'll agree with your last sentence, but I'd beg to differ regarding the bolded statement.

The Orion V essentailly pioneered the CNG bus market by becoming the first mainstream North American CNG transit bus, when Orion started producing CNG buses in 1988.

Yes, I'll agree with your last sentence, but I'd beg to differ regarding the bolded statement.

The Orion V essentailly pioneered the CNG bus market by becoming the first mainstream North American CNG transit bus, when Orion started producing CNG buses in 1988.

I didn't mean it that way. If you look at the amount of folks that actually like these things to death, you'll know what I mean lol

I didn't mean it that way. If you look at the amount of folks that actually like these things to death, you'll know what I mean lol

OK. I see where you're getting with this. ;)

If I may add however, the Orion V in general was a change of pace compared to it's competitors at the time. Here were the modern RTS and Flxible Metro's, while Orion entered the market with a nice contemporary product, all the while still having that asthetic appeal.

I know I'm getting all worked up over a freaking bus and all, but I'll borrow a quote from Brett's sig. Orion Bus Industries: "Together we build pride in every ride". Honestly to me, that statement couldn't be anymore true. I grew up with Orion V's and many of us did as well. Compared to it's competitors at the time, it was something else entirely.

Anyhow, if I could, I'd like to thank the people employed by Orion, and hope their quest for other employment goes well.

I'm going to miss Orion a great deal; while I wasn't the biggest fan of the Orion VII OGs and NGs, I absolutely love the Orion V and I was sad as hell to see them discontinued (and the VII 3G grew on me pretty damn fast too). Still, the last Orion Vs are in Westchester and the last VIIs are in New York and Nassau, so there should be Orion buses in the metro area through at least 2020.

Archived