A way to reduce confusion?

YankeesPwnMets

My friend has to go to JFK Airport sometime soon and as I explained the directions to him, all he did was get confused about which (A) train to take. This got me thinking.. why not have the trains going to Lefferts signed up as (A) and the trains via JFK airport be signed up as <A>? It would be an easy indicator for those who want to go to JFK Airport..

I think that will not work out well either.

I remember when I was at Fulton St, when (A)(C) platform was still Broadway Nassau, (A) had wrong destination 207th St on southbound trip.

It sometimes happens at Rockaway Blvd and sometimes t/o or c/o are too lazy to change sign.

The (A) runs 24/7 between 207 and Far Rock. I think the (K) should replace the (A) to/from Lefferts, run express on Fulton, 8 Av, and CPW. It would be the same (A) Lefferts/Far Rock levels they have now. (A) and (K) every 20 mins off-peak and 10 mins at rush hour, (C) and (D) every 10 mins. At night, the (K) is the Lefferts Blvd Shuttle while the 10-daily (A) rush hour trains continue running between Manhattan and Rockaway Park. Just my opnion anyway...

I think that there should be announcements made at Rockaway Blvd. station about the train's destination - something along the lines of "This is an (A) train heading to Lefferts Boulevard. Wait here for train service to JFK airport and Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park."

But the IND Rockaway extensions are set to FRA standards with voltage requirements that the R160s cannot handle. That would be an awesome idea though. Maybe the R179s will address that problem if the MTA decides to place the new trains there as a last minute desision. Guess we'll wait and see.

But the IND Rockaway extensions are set to FRA standards with voltage requirements that the R160s cannot handle. That would be an awesome idea though. Maybe the R179s will address that problem if the MTA decides to place the new trains there as a last minute desision. Guess we'll wait and see.

I thought that that idea was proven to be untrue.

I thought that that idea was proven to be untrue.

I'll have to research that and get back to you unless another person beats me to it with the correct information. I've heard that the salty air preventing proper draw from the third rail may also be a factor but I have no confirm on this.

Slightly of..Speaking of R160.... So I guess the rumors of the R160 going to the B was another false rumor like 2009......... lol? <_<

Heard Sept this would happen..... None......

What I heard was that since the mean distance between failures on the r160s are not getting any better, they will do the B/Q swap. But again no proof on this. So I guess it is a rumor.

You can take any Queens bound (A) train to JFK Airport. If someone boards a Far Rockaway or Rockaway Beach bound (A) train they can just get off at Howard Beach-JFK Aiport to transfer for the Airtrain. If so happens they board a Lefferts Blvd (A) train they can either take the train to the last stop and transfer to the Q10 bus directly to JFK Airport or take the the Q10 bus from Lefferts Blvd (A) station to the Lefferts Blvd Airtrain station depending which terminal he or she may need to get to.

I think that there should be announcements made at Rockaway Blvd. station about the train's destination - something along the lines of "This is an (A) train heading to Lefferts Boulevard. Wait here for train service to JFK airport and Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park."

The R160 (A) to Lefferts program has such an announcement (saw it on a video during the Culver GO)

That's exactly what most conductors announce.

Anybody who misses the announcement can get the Q10 at Lefferts. It takes a bit longer but they save a few bucks.

I'll have to research that and get back to you unless another person beats me to it with the correct information. I've heard that the salty air preventing proper draw from the third rail may also be a factor but I have no confirm on this.

I don't Understand, how does salty air prevent proper draw from the third rail? The conductivity is based on the flow of electrons from one resistive surface to another. In this case it would be the third rail and the contact shoe of the train. so how exactly would salty air prevent the third rail from transferring electrons to the shoe through direct contact. Also Salt [NaCl] has a high conductivity due the larger allocation of Ions, which much higher then tap water [H2O]. So this should actually help with conductivity in theory, even though in reality it would have no effect, since the shoe is getting power from direct contact with the third rail. Also why do only the R160s experience these electrical problems and not the R32/42/44/46/68/142/188 while operating in the rockaways? what makes the R160s so prone to these problems? The only drawbacks i could see is that the salty air could potentially corrode the exterior shell of the trains from prolonged exposure to the air.So, Until i see some info from an official source stating that this in fact is the reason why the 160s aren't on the (A) then i call B.S.

That's exactly what most conductors announce.

Well, the crackly announcements on the old trains are poor, and sometimes completely indistinguishable. I'd love to see those fixed or installed with automated announcements.

Made for some interesting riding the first time I went to the Rockaways, though...!

Simple solution that will reduce confusion.

Rockaway bound trains (that go to JFK as well) are called (A)

Lefferts Blvd bound trains (and the late night shuttle) are called (K)

NO SCHEDULE CHANGES. Lefferts Blvd bound (A) trains will run as (K) trains instead.

Simple solution that will reduce confusion.

Rockaway bound trains (that go to JFK as well) are called (A)

Lefferts Blvd bound trains (and the late night shuttle) are called (K)

NO SCHEDULE CHANGES. Lefferts Blvd bound (A) trains will run as (K) trains instead.

I said the same thing as well.

Archived