Worth the trouble to sue MTA?

B3 Via Av U

Hey guys!

A Muslim friend of mine told me that recently a bus driver on the B36 called him a "terrorist" as he made to board the bus and sped off, leaving him in the dust at the stop. Resulting from this, his parents are choosing to sue the (MTA). But my question is, is it worth all the crap and time to sue the (MTA) over this?

Thank you!

As a matter of principle, the family has every right to sue the MTA. There is absolutely no excuse for that kind of behavior, and that employee should be fired.

Financially speaking, even if they win the lawsuit, all of the time spent in court and preparing the case, as well as the lawyer fees, won't really be worth all of the time and effort.

This is a transit board, and everyone's going to attack me for this, but I say tell the media. They'll love a story like this and, to cover their image, the MTA will most likely suspend or fire the employee right away as a result.

Hey guys!

A Muslim friend of mine told me that recently a bus driver on the B36 called him a "terrorist" as he made to board the bus and sped off, leaving him in the dust at the stop. Resulting from this, his parents are choosing to sue the (MTA). But my question is, is it worth all the crap and time to sue the (MTA) over this?

Thank you!

Call 311 to find the appropriate agency to call about civil service employee misconduct ans see what they say. There is also a New York Division of Human Rights that deal with cases of discrimination but unsure if they will take on your case as it it a case of your word against his which many investigators tend to avoid.. Give them a call. Make sure you have your facts together and a long wait as the investigation ensues. That way you can save dollars and spare yourself from being a laughing stock in from of a judge who must have a bad day due to bowel problems or a chip on his shoulder otherwise.

And good luck.

Yes I agree. Get the media involved if all else fails. With the school bus situation earlier that's what many parents did. And they did get solid results thanks to cooperation with the DOE who were just as fed up with some of these delinquent private bus companies putting the agency in a bad light. It's in the newspapers.

This is one of those stories where everybody loses. The kid obviously should never have been treated in such a reprehensible matter, and deserves justice. Of course, justice usually means a settlement, and that means more of our taxpayer money gets paid out to him just cause one bus driver is a racist idiot. The family deserves the money, but at the same time, the MTA shouldn't be losing money as an organization just because one operator is a piece of scum. It's a headache all around, all thanks to that that one racist prick. Sorry to hear about this situation.

Exactly... This kid doesn't make sense sometimes...

Sometimes?!

I say tell the media and report the operator. I've had a few smart mouth operators that called me the same shit and one once said "so? they are all the same shit" (regarding indians and the middle eastern folks). There's no sense in suing an entire organization over one operator. That's like suing the company that makes Lays Potato Chips because their bigger bags mostly have air in it.

Before your friends parents proceed with the lawsuit, they have to take a couple things into consideration. For instance did he take down the drivers badge number? ,does he have a witness that is willing to testify on his behalf? Are they willing to wait 5 or 6 years for a trial? Because suing the MTA is like suing the NYPD or any city agency. They will stall you out for as long as they can because they figure u will run out of money and give up on the lawsuit before the court date comes up. And without the other 2 things (driver badge# and a witness) you would really be wasting time.

I have read many of the comments posted here and I agree that the bus driver was wrong for making these comments. In addition I must agree with many of the forum members that filing a lawsuit is not the appropriate method in this case. The proper first step is to file the complaint listing all the information (see the previous posts as to what your letter must contain) that will enable an investigation to begin and to mail it certified mail - return receipt requested as the return card will prove receipt. Then let the MTA respond to your complaint.

Once the response is received (again in writing), then take it from there. This will prove that you have given the agency the opportunity to respond to the complaint. Unless the agency was given this opportunity to respond to the initial complaint, no other group will touch it as the first question that is asked "was the agency told about it and how did they respond"?

The big mistake that many people make is that the state (or the city) can afford a lawsuit. This is what I refer to "as the jail mentality" where many are under the mistaken impression that that a filing does not impact upon all of us. Everyone pays when a legal case is instituted as there are a lot of costs that are not specified when the verdict was reached. The hours for the lawyers (inside and outside the agency), investigators and court personnel add up and when added to the settlement where the plaintiff receives a sum of money it may be three times the amount that was listed in the settlement. All that money comes from the taxpayers who have to pay for it in terms of salaries, hours billed as well as the settlement and that is not tens of dollars, usually hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In closing, let me offer some advice to the members reading the forum from someone who has been in similar situations to the one discussed on this thread. What I have written here is applicable to filing any complaint, no matter what agency or business is involved. The first thing you must do is to gather all the information that is needed for the formal complaint including time, date, actions taken, written documentation (if available) and then you begin to prepare the letter. As you write this letter, check and re-check the spelling (spell check is a great help to all of us or look the word up in the dictionary), the grammar (read it out loud and do not be afraid to make corrections) and make sure that any documentation in support of the statements made in the letter is listed and attached before you mail it. Keep in mind that this is not the internet or twitter or facebook, it is something where presentation is the key. Remember the letter that you send is a reflection of you and mistakes that should have been corrected prior to the mailing of the complaint do not help you at all in your presentation.

Sometimes?!

I say tell the media and report the operator. I've had a few smart mouth operators that called me the same shit and one once said "so? they are all the same shit" (regarding indians and the middle eastern folks). There's no sense in suing an entire organization over one operator. That's like suing the company that makes Lays Potato Chips because their bigger bags mostly have air in it.

Actually I would disagree with you. What folks don't realize is that you as an employee represent the company, organization or agency that you work for. These (MTA) employees represent the (MTA) and if the (MTA) is allowing these individuals to make remarks like this and not face any consequences then it says a lot about the (MTA) 's stance and beliefs as a public agency, which many would find quite disturbing. Employees need to know that they cannot just say whatever they want and conduct themselves however they want and if these employees understood that then they would've thought twice about making the statements that they did in the first place. That's the troubling part. If no action is taken then the same nonsense will continue to happen and that is inexcusable. This all goes back to accountability, which the (MTA) has continued to lack over the years.

Actually I would disagree with you. What folks don't realize is that you as an employee represent the company, organization or agency that you work for. These (MTA) employees represent the (MTA) and if the (MTA) is allowing these individuals to make remarks like this and not face any consequences then it says a lot about the (MTA) 's stance and beliefs as a public agency, which many would find quite disturbing. Employees need to know that they cannot just say whatever they want and conduct themselves however they want and if these employees understood that then they would've thought twice about making the statements that they did in the first place. That's the troubling part. If no action is taken then the same nonsense will continue to happen and that is inexcusable. This all goes back to accountability, which the (MTA) has continued to lack over the years.

....which is why you report the operator to the MTA!

Correct, but you would be an example of how doing that hasn't worked.

Says who? There's no solid claim backing that up.

When I've gotten harassed to that point before, I've gotten back responses saying that so-and-so operator has been taken off duty or other type of shit.

Another thing comes into mind, what makes you think that the MTA can afford another lawsuit with our looming fare hike coming through?

Point being, sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't. A lawsuit doesn't really ensure that it would still work.

Archived