Worth the trouble to sue MTA?

B3 Via Av U

I agree, Cait.

And, before your buds take on the challenge, they should take into consideration that they may lose the suit.

When was the last time a public agency actually won a case?

IIRC, two years ago, this guy went swimming @CI, when there were no lifeguards, even though the signs specifically say you're not allowed to, and he did and he ended up drowning. His family sued the city. Guess who won?

Says who? There's no solid claim backing that up.

When I've gotten harassed to that point before, I've gotten back responses saying that so-and-so operator has been taken off duty or other type of shit.

Another thing comes into mind, what makes you think that the MTA can afford another lawsuit with our looming fare hike coming through?

Point being, sometimes it does work, sometimes it doesn't. A lawsuit doesn't really ensure that it would still work.

A lawsuit sends a message though that if the (MTA) decides not to act or if these isolated incidents continue to occur that they will be forced to pay for it (literally). Public pressure and embarassment can indeed help to put these sorts of things to rest.

If you really want the MTA to pay attention, get a lawyer to send an official letter stating the issue, along with the BO's badge number, run number, etc. That will get you the direct attention of someone with power in the MTA. Realistically, as others have stated, the best you can expect is that the BO is disciplined or fired.

Don't bother actually suing because you suffered no monetary loss. Yes, mental anguish is a type of loss, in a sense, but, to be perfectly honest, everyone in new York has been insulted because of their nationality at some point or another. It happens, unfortunately.

I still suspect there is more to this story, because most rational people will not simply go off on a rant like that for no reason. Someone smart enough to hold down a bus operator position with the MTA probably has more sense than that. But, then again, sometimes people just snap.

If you really want the MTA to pay attention, get a lawyer to send an official letter stating the issue, along with the BO's badge number, run number, etc. That will get you the direct attention of someone with power in the MTA. Realistically, as others have stated, the best you can expect is that the BO is disciplined or fired.

Don't bother actually suing because you suffered no monetary loss. Yes, mental anguish is a type of loss, in a sense, but, to be perfectly honest, everyone in new York has been insulted because of their nationality at some point or another. It happens, unfortunately.

I still suspect there is more to this story, because most rational people will not simply go off on a rant like that for no reason. Someone smart enough to hold down a bus operator position with the MTA probably has more sense than that. But, then again, sometimes people just snap.

Correct, and the issue here is if you keep excusing it, it will continue to happen. Sometimes extreme measures have to be taken in order for the message to be sent. I had a problem with security screwing around with me in the office building that I worked in, so I sent a nice little e-mail over to to the president of building management and those SOBs almost **** a brick in their pants every time they saw me. That everyone gets this and that argument doesn't fly with me because the real problem is people do things because they don't expect to pay any consequences for it. I don't always do this, but sometimes when you get hit so to speak you have to come back twice as hard to teach folks a lesson. Call it vengeful if you will. I just call it getting even.

A lawsuit sends a message though that if the (MTA) decides not to act or if these isolated incidents continue to occur that they will be forced to pay for it (literally). Public pressure and embarassment can indeed help to put these sorts of things to rest.

You could accomplish the same thing by going to the media.

The point is that suing them can be a long and expensive process, and he would have to be able to keep coming up with money for the legal bills when there's no guarantee that he would win a large settlement (so he could still end up in the red). If you go to the media, you send that same message without having to go through the time and expense.

The point is that suing them can be a long and expensive process, and he would have to be able to keep coming up with money for the legal bills when there's no guarantee that he would win a large settlement (so he could still end up in the red). If you go to the media, you send that same message without having to go through the time and expense.

I know what the point is and my point is that money talks in various ways.

Hey guys!

A Muslim friend of mine told me that recently a bus driver on the B36 called him a "terrorist" as he made to board the bus and sped off, leaving him in the dust at the stop. Resulting from this, his parents are choosing to sue the (MTA). But my question is, is it worth all the crap and time to sue the (MTA) over this?

Thank you!

You should also get PIX11 News Reporter Greg Mocker involve on this case. He might get interested for story on his blog.

Speaking of name calling or whatever, I recently got into a heated exchange with some guy that rides with this B/O. I think they're Dominican. Every time I boarded the bus this guy is sitting in the first row laughing, so after this happened repeatedly it became clear to me that this was being directed towards me or at least that's what I picked up, so before I even thought about it I said "What the **** is so funny??" He made some comment about how he can laugh at whatever he wants and then I commented about how he does that **** every time I board the bus. After we had some more exchanges, I went and sat down.

Once we reached my stop, he turns around and asks me if we're good now fam? I replied yeah we're good, so long as we understand each other and then he went on with his snarky remark about how he can laugh at whatever he wants like he's trying to put me in my place and that's when it got heated yet again. We stood there exchanging words and then he gets up from the seat as if I'm supposed to be intimidated like oh look at me I'm a tall guy. LOL

I just stood there like yeah <_< and we continued to exchange "pleasantries" and I challenged him to step off of the bus where we could continue the exchange in further depth, and this time not verbal either, along with some other things I won't repeat. Suffice it to say he didn't take me up on my offer and just kept mouthing off about how he's from the street like I'm supposed to be intimidated, like he was sparing me. <_<

I was so heated. Let's just say that I picked up the vibe that the two of them were trying to disrespect me as if "I made it" so to speak and was some sissy punk from a nice neighborhood who wouldn't step up and challenge him because he's from the street. I told him don't be fooled by me living in this neighborhood. Should be interesting to see what happens, but either way I'm not tolerating that racist BS and I pretty much told him so to his face. To be continued I supposed at some point...

But is it REALLY worth the money, especially in this economic crisis our government is staging, to sue an entire organization over one operator? Money that could be used for rent, mortgage, gas, food, tuition, utilities, tolls, metrocards, or clothing. Things like that that actually have an influence on your everyday activities?

Not to mention the extra stress, time, and headaches that come along with court cases that may go nowhere. Is it REALLY worth it?

But is it REALLY worth the money, especially in this economic crisis our government is staging, to sue an entire organization over one operator? Money that could be used for rent, mortgage, gas, food, tuition, utilities, tolls, metrocards, or clothing. Things like that that actually have an influence on your everyday activities?

Not to mention the extra stress, time, and headaches that come along with court cases that may go nowhere. Is it REALLY worth it?

If you truly believe in justice and your principles then yes it is. My latest incident I will handle on my own as I feel like I was being disrespected just because this punk thought he could get away with it, but if the B/O gets involved, then yes if it came to that I would sue without a thought.

You should also get PIX11 News Reporter Greg Mocker involve on this case. He might get interested for story on his blog.

Oh BS. He's focused on the cleanliness and operations of Subway stations and the sidewalk.

The view of what you call "Justice" differs from person to person. To waste a couple thousand on a lawsuit like that that could be used towards more important things is stupid. You might as well be burning it.

I guess all of the people who have sued and won thousands or millions of dollars aren't very smart... <_< Some lawsuits are frivolous and others are most certainly necessary. One's financial situation can most certainly dictate what they find frivolous and what they consider to be things that they should/must do. In any event, you cannot always measure things based on how much they cost. People make money based on risks.

I guess all of the people who have sued and won thousands or millions of dollars aren't very smart... <_< Some lawsuits are frivolous and others are most certainly necessary. One's financial situation can most certainly dictate what they find frivolous and what they consider to be things that they should/must do. In any event, you cannot always measure things based on how much they cost. People make money based on risks.

And for every for every one person that succeeds in that risk, there are 10 that fail. That's like a Caucasian employee using the N word on me and driving off. As long as I know I'm not, I don't care if I'm called it 3 times before breakfast, another bus will come in 5 minutes and I move on in my life. There are more important things to be worrying about. Mind control is a nice example.

And for every for every one person that succeeds in that risk, there are 10 that fail. That's like a Caucasian employee using the N word on me and driving off. As long as I know I'm not, I don't care if I'm called it 3 times before breakfast, another bus will come in 5 minutes and I move on in my life. There are more important things to be worrying about. Mind control is a nice example.

And that attitude is exactly why some of these B/Os do what they do... They have a sense of invisibility that is disgusting. I'll be damned if I'm going to be treated like crap when I'm a paying customer. You're right about all of that mind control stuff, but there are certain instances where you can't just let that **** slide otherwise people will continue to disrespect you because they know they can and can get away with it.

The media has a tendency to spin a story in whatever way gets the most attention. You don't want to lose control of a story like this. A vaguely threatening letter from a lawyer will be just as effective, and you keep it quiet and in your control. Honestly, this particular topic is very divisive and sticky, and not one you want the media to take into its own hands.

Archived