Brooklyn Battery Tunnel now renamed the "Hugh Carey" Tunnel

[float=left]post-5097-0-75087900-1351174371_thumb.jpg[/float]MTA Chairman and CEO Joseph J. Lhota, Lt. Gov. Robert Duffy, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, past and present elected officials and 27 members of the Carey family attended a ceremony formally renaming the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel in honor of the late Gov. Hugh L. Carey.

The event, held on the roadway outside the Manhattan portal of the tunnel on Oct. 22nd, was hosted by Lt. Gov. Duffy. Speakers included Mayor Bloomberg, Michael Carey, son of the late governor, and former Governors David Paterson.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-75087900-1351174371_thumb.jpg

Guest MTA Bus

To me, I will always call it the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I don't see why the MTA wastes money to change all the signs for the bridges and tunnels. They should have left the RFK as the Triboro and they should have left the Hugh Carey as the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.

Hey in about 10-15 years the tunnel formerly known as the Battery Tunnel will be called the Carey Tunnel. I know listening to 1010 WINS and 880 CBS-AM most of the traffic reporters now call the old Triboro the "RFK Bridge." Ditto for what used to be known as the Interboro is now called the Jackie Robinson Parkway except for old timers in the Queens area lol.

I like how the name changes came in, but right after the storm, the whole tunnel flooded. Lol Like a curse came in....

Hope not. :o I noticed during the almost 24/7 news coverage on local stations NY1, Ch.2, 4, ,5/9, 7 and 11, from Monday 10/29-Thursday 11/1 the newer traffic& news reporters/anchors called that Brooklyn-Manhattan the "Carey" Tunnel. While older vets like Chuck Scarborough still called it the "Battery" Tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

Its amazing how they made it "Official" in late october but the signs at the tunnel entrance has been up since atleast june! I thought I missed the memo about the name change then. I guess they were preparing for it then.

Whats really amazing is how the city is beyond broke yet it has the money to spend on changing the names of tunnels and bridges for no good reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats really amazing is how the city is beyond broke yet it has the money to spend on changing the names of tunnels and bridges for no good reason.

Tell me about it. Means the city really isn't broke as they claim, they are just doing a poor job with spending, misallocating money towards things that are non-issues or is not needed for the betterment of this city. Nothing new, City Hall and Albany has been doing this for decades.

Archived