Which subway routes you feel are neglected?

RollOver

The (5) definitely gets bottom-of-the-barrel treatment compared to the rest of A-Div. Even the (3) gets SOME kind of service during GOs now, I remember back when they would cut the (3) completely at any sign of a GO anywhere along the route. This 3 to South Ferry never would have happened 3 years ago. But starting in November, there isn't going to be ANY (5) weekend service AT ALL for the rest of 2012. It's only a matter of time before the weekend 5 permanently becomes a Dyre-E180 shuttle, just like what the (M) does.

The (G) and the (5). Second rate service outside of weekdays.

If the MTA had their way they would only run weekdays. The (5) has seemingly replaced the (C) in that department.

There's a difference between bad service and wanting to cut service. In this case, as you probably are aware, the (5) has really bad weekend service because of all of these Bronx IRT G.O.s.

The (5) definitely gets bottom-of-the-barrel treatment compared to the rest of A-Div. Even the (3) gets SOME kind of service during GOs now, I remember back when they would cut the (3) completely at any sign of a GO anywhere along the route. This 3 to South Ferry never would have happened 3 years ago. But starting in November, there isn't going to be ANY (5) weekend service AT ALL for the rest of 2012. It's only a matter of time before the weekend 5 permanently becomes a Dyre-E180 shuttle, just like what the (M) does.

I see. I didn't read this post before I made the above comment. The thing is, though, with increasing ridership, the MTA at least claims that they want to increase service, not decrease it. You'd think that if the (5) was on the table, it would've been considered during the 2010 cuts, when the MTA had even less money to spend.

The (G) may feel like an eternity, but to get a 25-minute wait would be a result of some major problem.

All I know is that the train was packed when it came and me and my friend Joseph were sweating like crazy since it was very hot and humid that day. We had helped his kid's mother move and of course were tired and hot as hell even though we were downing beers the entire time. When we walked over to the (G), we couldn't believe how long we were waiting there. I said to myself, God is this what folks in Greenpoint get service wise with the (G) because if it is, this is the absolute pits. It felt more isolated transportation wise over there than any other neighborhood I've ever been to in Brooklyn before and mind you I've been to Greenpoint quite a few times, but that was my first time using the (G) over there.

You have to remember that the (5) runs on the Lex line with the (4), so I think they want as few (5) trains running as possible. Their attitude is to serve Manhattan and not the Bronx or Brooklyn (outerboroughs), hence all of the short turned trains, etc.

I contacted the (MTA) a few years back, asking them something about the (5), they said, for every two (4)'s there's a (5).

I contacted the (MTA) a few years back, asking them something about the (5), they said, for every two (4)'s there's a (5).

For some reason I think they feel like they don't want to spoil some neighborhoods in the outerboroughs with too much subway service. The (5) could certainly run longer but it seems like they do everything to push people to the (4) even if they really need the (5).

You have to remember that the (5) runs on the Lex line with the (4), so I think they want as few (5) trains running as possible. Their attitude is to serve Manhattan and not the Bronx or Brooklyn (outerboroughs), hence all of the short turned trains, etc.

When weekend construction work requires service to be thinned out in the Bronx, the 5 is cut rather than the 2 because the 2 has the much busier branch north of East 180th and because without the 2 there's no access from the WPR corridor to the West Side (while 2 customers going to the East Side can transfer at 149th).

When weekend construction work requires service to be thinned out in Manhattan, the 5 is cut rather than the 4 or 6 because cutting either the 4 or 6 would leave either the entire Jerome line or the entire Pelham line with no through service, while cutting the 5 only cuts off the low-ridership Dyre branch.

lol... Let's see... Fewer cars on that line than others and oh... How do you wait 25 minutes for (G) train on a Saturday afternoon in Greenpoint??

Like most B Division lines, the G is scheduled for a 10-minute headway during the day on Saturday and Sunday. Obviously, service can get disrupted anywhere.

Short trains are still long enough to handle the loads. If long trains ran on the G, rush hour service would become much less frequent, so G riders should be careful about what they ask for.

Highly unlikely (unless ridership skyrockets on Jerome or in Brooklyn), since that would require a boost in 4 service to handle the loads on Lex, and the 4 runs all the way to Utica, making it more expensive to operate than the 5 to Bowling Green.

There are typically very few weekend GO's in December - has that policy been changed or is this an exception?

The express stations are fine, a lot of local stations are s***. Take 23rd Street (C)(E) for an example. The pee-pee-passageway is horrible there.

Sometimes if I'm working overtime, I leave my house at 6am and there are always a few BIG rats running around on the platform and stairs, and don't seem to mind me standing right there. They just run around tackling each other. That station is a dump!

There are typically very few weekend GO's in December - has that policy been changed or is this an exception?

What I do notice in December is NYCT quietly adds a couple of more trains to some lines during the weekends. 4 headways go from 8 minutes to 6 or 7 minutes, for example.

One could argue that if the MTA cared about the (5), they would run it between Bowling Green and 149 St-GC when there's construction in the Bronx rather than cutting it. Still, I don't see why it makes sense for the MTA to favor certain lines over others, although as we know, things don't always make sense in MTA land.

There are certain cases when lines get treated badly by the MTA, but it's not because they have a bias against them. For example, the R32s have to go somewhere; the (C) makes sense because it requires the right number of cars. It's not because the MTA just hates the (C). Another example is the (G); the MTA actually doesn't have enough cars to make every line full-length; cutting the (G) rather than another line to 4 cars makes sense because it's one of the only lines whose ridership can handle it.

It's also important to note that just about every line can have instances of bad service in one way or another. Basically any subway line can become delayed at one point or another such that people might have have to wait 20+ minutes for a train; it's not specific to a particular line.

The (5) always gets cut when there is construction because, south of East 180 St., every single (5) stop is served by another line. The (5) is a repetitive train.

And when the (5) does run to Flatbush, there can't be as many (5) trains as there are (4) trains because then Flatbsh will become clogged and trains won't be able to get into the terminal. The (4) has it's own terminal so traffic moves steadily. But the (5) shares Flatbush with the (2).

What I do notice in December is NYCT quietly adds a couple of more trains to some lines during the weekends. 4 headways go from 8 minutes to 6 or 7 minutes, for example.

That's right - because ridership is higher than usual on December weekends and because there are no (or few) GO's that limit throughput.

Although it may seem like that, the TPH for the (A) during rush hour (14-15) is more than double the TPH for the C (6). This may balance out more during middays and weekends, because the C stays at 6 TPH.

There is no time of day that the C is more frequent than the A!

Archived