Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might be too early for this topic but is the MTA Talking about taking action with this storm ?

Lets wait until Thursday or Friday to see where she is before that happens. Earliest according to NWS/Weather Channel it will hit our region is around Sunday. Right now lets offer a prayer and best wishes to our friends in Jamaica.

Lets wait until Thursday or Friday to see where she is before that happens. Earliest according to NWS/Weather Channel it will hit our region is around Sunday. Right now lets offer a prayer and best wishes to our friends in Jamaica.

This storm sounds interesting. I wonder with how much impact will it hit.

It's hurricane irene all over again :(

Actually MTAregional, seriously if this babe aka Sandy, decided to make a "visit' to the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region of the US it will be a much stronger cat.2 at least. Throw in the worst case, she could also bring a "Northeaster' storm as well, in which some mountain areas from West Virgina to Upstate NY could see snow as well.

Guys, only one forecast model is predicting a Tri-State Area touchdown. The other dozen or so are showing that this will more than likely be a storm for the fish.

"Hurricane Sandy's rampage through the Caribbean today and Thursday is only the beginning: Forecasters say the storm could morph into a monstrous nor'easter and slam the U.S. East Coast next week — or it could miss us entirely.

If it hits the Northeast the day before Halloween, as one computer model shows, it would be a disastrous storm, bringing coastal flooding, drenching rainfall, high winds, downed trees, power outages, travel mayhem and even Appalachian snow, according to AccuWeather meteorologist Alex Sosnowski.

Could that happen? Unfortunately, as of midday today, the "chances are increasing for a major storm impacting the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast," according to an online forecast report by meteorologist James Cisco of the Hydrometeorological Prediction Center."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2012/10/24/jamaica-storm-hurricane-sandy/1653851/

I've been hearing on the news tonight about this hurricane that is headed up the east coast. They've been saying on 1010 wins and channel 7 things like "this could be the storm of the century," which is surprising to hear.

It seems like it will either miss us by a nice margin or slam into us on Monday and be much worse than Irene. It could have a major impact on the MTA.

Anyone else hear anything different from a reputable source?

Actually MTAregional, seriously if this babe aka Sandy, decided to make a "visit' to the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region of the US it will be a much stronger cat.2 at least. Throw in the worst case, she could also bring a "Northeaster' storm as well, in which some mountain areas from West Virgina to Upstate NY could see snow as well.

It is not cold enough for that. But according to the national weather service, it could hit parts of Long Island.

Get ready for another "Hurricane Irene" this time. I viewed Weather Underground's website (it's so slow to load) and their 5 day track forecast shows that it will avoid New York, but when I viewed the ensemble models, there are lots of paths that show it will go northwest hitting the New England region and New York City area. Well, if it goes to New York, expect another "Hurricane Irene". :(:(:(

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. When I checked the storm tracker early yesterday, it was pretty much a non-issue. Now most models are predicting a hit for either the NYC or Boston areas.

@paulrivera: The media always does that. With everything.

Dang again? First Irene and now Sandy becomes the next storm? I use to think I had the worse luck in 2004 when the state of Florida got hit by four hurricanes in a single season. The amount of cleaning up I had to do that year was unbelievable and I have never sweat that much in my entire life.

Archived