Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the company that operates LIPA (National Grid) is gonna be replaced in January 2014 by PSE&G, so maybe they'll improve then.

I definitely think the LI power system should be 100% privatized like it is in the rest of the country, as long as it doesn't get sold to National Grid. These guys are just awful.

- Damn, I've been listening to fat boy (Mike Francesa) rip the hell out of LIPA.... few callers calling in were voicing out their frustrations w/ that company as well.... guys sitting around not doin much of anything, blaming the tree cutters as to why nothing can get done, hiring these out of state guys (some of which stated how antiquated LIPA's system is) that can't touch anything w/o a LIPA worker present.... I've heard not so nice things about LIPA for a number of years now, and you (Shortline) are absolutely right about it being a surprise to no one that Hervey quit.....

....Because (IMO) the Governor was fin to dig in LIPA's asses & start making heads roll - Still having tens of thousands of people without power after 2 weeks (not counting those poor folks in Long Beach, Breezy Point (much as I don't care for how bigoted that community is, still, they didn't deserve that... no one does), etc.... Along with fudging numbers (as far as how many people had no power) & giving projected dates that were WAY off as to when power will be back on for all those that don't live near/around the coastline or whatever, as well.....

- ugh, SMFH @ these gas lines.... To this day, they're still apparent....

It's always in tragic situations where you'll see people at their absolute best or at their absolute worst.... And lemme tell you, I've seen some a**holes out there on the roads on those gas lines (same goes for the people standing around w/ their gas containers).... Two separate occasions (once in brooklyn, once in queens) I almost got hit crossing the street - accelerating for a couple feet for place in line.... I mean really, where in the hot f*** are you going ?!?

- Props to the MTA for getting subway service up & running after like 3 or 4 days though....

Say what you want about the MTA regarding (its normal) bus & subway headways/routes/stats/whatever else we talk about on these forums [myself included... I'm not above self-assessment], but that was quite remarkable....

You know its going to happen. i.e future books and films/tv movies. PBS Just on Sunday on most of their stations around the nation, debuted the first on what will be many several documentaries on Sandy. A special "Nova" has aired. Here link. If you get a chance watch it for a good review of this now infamous and histroic megastorm.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2305482040

I don't know if this should be in another thread:

So the mayor of Seaside Heights wants that roller coaster to stay in the ocean, as a tourist attraction.

Read more: Source

i disagree because it could be dangerous for surfers

thoughts?

Heard about it. If he wants vistors to see it via a helicopter tour maybe i can see this possiblity. If not in air, then its a bad and dangerous idea.

Just from this point, assuming the beach front/boardwalk and asument park in Seaside(i have great memories from summer weekend trips in the '80's and '90's)it would have to rebulid to withstand up to a Cat. 4 Hurricane IMO.

Fascinating article. I love how they completely missed the aspect that Bloomberg downplayed this storm for way too long. For a so-called "weather buff", he would have ordered evacuations far sooner.

After that one press conference, Jim Cantore practically ripped him a new one on twitter.

Fascinating article. I love how they completely missed the aspect that Bloomberg downplayed this storm for way too long. For a so-called "weather buff", he would have ordered evacuations far sooner.

After that one press conference, Jim Cantore practically ripped him a new one on twitter.

You have the link for Cantore ripping Bloomberg Joe? Love to see that statement. :o:D

No doubt Bloomberg after being lucky that Irene missing metro NYC in 2011, did not want to force New Yorkers living in so called "A" coastal zones again and try to play the tightrope. He got burned and was lucky the death toll was not in hundreds as what happened to Katrina.

So now that the storm passed I offer my unbias grades for area political leaders handling of Sandy.

Mayor Bloomberg- (C)-minus-The only reason it was not a failure was because the death toll in NYC was low for a historic and powerful storm like Sandy. However for 1)not ordering evacuations sooner in hard hit areas like Staten Island, Breezy Point/Rockaways, Coney Island and Red Hook, bring his grade down. 2)Ditto for wanting to run the NYC marathon until public pressure scrapped his plans. 3)Not imposing HOV restrictions for cars coming to/from Manhattan right after the storm also brings down his grade.

While not the fisaco as the Post Christmas 2010 Blizzard, Sandy was not Bloomberg's finest hour.

Governor Andrew Cuomo- (C)-While he did a good job in having frequent press conferences, his downfall The LIPA fiscaso post storm.

Governor Chris Christie- (A) minus-I am not a big fan of his personality but being fair, he was by far the biggest star of handling this storm as an elected offical. He was on top of the ball in ordering evacuations by Thursday a full 2-3 days before Sandy basically destroyed the Jersey Shore. Without his actions, thousands would have died. Plus putting aside his partisan afflations to work with Obama also shows he gets results.

MTA Boss Joe Lhota & his employees- (A)-To basically have much of the subway system and most of the LIRR/Metro North within 5 days after mega flooding and trees all over tracks and streets is nothing short of brillliant.

LIPA management (F)-Plus for mega Fail! :angry: Granted this was a historic storm but still a month after it hit to still have a couple of hundred customers without power is insane.

Con Edision (C) At least all of NYC and Westchester County had power within a week after the storm.

Reactions?

Archived