Hurricane Sandy News & General Discussion Thread (Non Transit)

Abba

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bronx doesn't look that bad. At least the part i'm in. Just rain and wind so far. It will be interesting to see how strong the winds get.

I just looked outside... Where I'm at someone's fence is totally blown down... Trees are swaying like crazy and I mean big trees too...

Same here, little rain and wind here. I know the winds will be crazy tonight.

I was just coming back inside from the store, little rain, but the winds are very strong. I lost my hat lol. People out here are almost getting swept off their feet.

Something about the Bronx geographically that we don't get the full brunt of precipitation during fierce storms. Such as severe flooding to the degree being experienced in Brooklyn. My wild guess is that most areas in the Bronx are high above the water table, along with the fact we are farther away from the shore inland. Unless it's just the fact that I am in a very dense area with many multi-story buildings. That in itself would be a definite factor.

Breaking news. Couple of crains have collapsed in Manhattan according to CNN, NBC4 NYC and Fox News.

Just saw on NY1 that a crane collapsed at some building on 57th Street and 7th Avenue.

What? A crane? Anyone hurt?

I was just coming back inside from the store, little rain, but the winds are very strong. I lost my hat lol. People out here are almost getting swept off their feet.

Something about the Bronx geographically that we don't get the full brunt of precipitation during fierce storms. Such as severe flooding to the degree being experienced in Brooklyn. My wild guess is that most areas in the Bronx are high above the water table, along with the fact we are farther away from the shore inland. Unless it's just the fact that I am in a very dense area with many multi-story buildings. That in itself would be a definite factor.

Well not all of the Bronx. Parts of Throggs Neck and City Island get hit hard and have to be evacuated and apparently parts of the South Bronx. I would imagine that in other parts of New York, the MetroNorth stations right by the Hudson River get slammed too there in Riverdale and near the Westchester border (i.e. Spuyten Duyvil, and Riverdale stations esp.).

Well not all of the Bronx. Parts of Throggs Neck and City Island get hit hard and have to be evacuated and apparently parts of the South Bronx. I would imagine that in other parts of New York, the MetroNorth stations right by the Hudson River get slammed too there in Riverdale and near the Westchester border (i.e. Spuyten Duyvil, and Riverdale stations esp.).

True.

No power in Central NJ as of a few hours ago, and with Irene there was no power for days so I'm gonna try and get back to Manhattan before the Port Authority/MTA shuts down all the crossings that aren't already closed. Power never goes out in the financial district, and I got family up there sitting there watching TV/going online/etc. while I'm sitting here in bumf**k with nothing to do at all. Isn't my life great?

The winds are starting to pick up, and there are a few droplets.

Already did a pre-doc, just in case.

These seem rather appropriate to play right now.

(Or the original if you prefer)

Let's do this.

Also, there's a rather large weeping willow next to my house, and i'm going to be honest, I don't think it's going to make it.

EDIT: Turns out the Tappan Zee just closed.

EDIT AGAIN: CDTA just updated it's status on the Hurricane Sandy page from "No Delays or Service Outages due to Hurricane Sandy. Check back again as the storm gets closer for continuous updates." to "AUTHORITY PREPPING FOR POTENTIAL FLOODING, BLOCKED ROADWAYS AND POWER OUTAGES".

One more edit:

This is LI right now.

f6f38221-90cc-4472-a2f2-a0ef08724d00_500.jpg

Yet again another edit:

What if Gangnam Style was actually just one big rain dance, and we bought this hurricane on ourselves?

No power in Central NJ as of a few hours ago, and with Irene there was no power for days so I'm gonna try and get back to Manhattan before the Port Authority/MTA shuts down all the crossings that aren't already closed. Power never goes out in the financial district, and I got family up there sitting there watching TV/going online/etc. while I'm sitting here in bumf**k with nothing to do at all. Isn't my life great?

Sorry to hear what happened to you Orion VII. As for your last sentence I said the same exact thing in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised if I lost power with this grid​ electrical system they have up here. If a block in Cohoes loses power, then so could my block, and downtown.

I would just like to say, it's a good thing i'm at the top of the valley, and my basement barely goes below street level.

WOAH, THIS IS APPARENTLY IN MASSACHUSETTS

6756c5a9-cf93-402c-a389-a2c413345639_500.jpg

The GWB, the Throgs Neck, the Verrazano, the Whitestone and The Henry Hudson Bridges will all be shut down at 7 p.m. Holy moly.

That leaves the Lincoln, and who knows when the PA will close it. We're working on what to do here, I'm 15 and can't drive and my parents kinda want to wait for tomorrow, but who knows when they will close the Lincoln.

Archived