Should MTA re-take over LIBus?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, they shouldn't. Veolia is doing a better job, and we know the (MTA) would be cut-happy. All the money has been put into NICE and re-wrapping the buses, and I just think Veolia is doing a better overall job.

If Nassau County stops being cheap and paying its executives and representatives huge salaries, and agrees to pay the REASONABLE amount of money that the (MTA) asked for in the first place, then Long Island Bus should come back. It's just easier that way, but like VWM said, there has already been money spent on wrapping the buses and repainting buses, so if the (MTA) came back too soon, it would be a waste of money for the County.

If Nassau County stops being cheap and paying its executives and representatives huge salaries, and agrees to pay the REASONABLE amount of money that the (MTA) asked for in the first place, then Long Island Bus should come back. It's just easier that way, but like VWM said, there has already been money spent on wrapping the buses and repainting buses, so if the (MTA) came back too soon, it would be a waste of money for the County.

It's funny how everyone is expecting the MTA to return eventually (and they probably will).

Yes, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano need to paid for their bus system properly.

According to former LIB drivers and dispatcher, they don't like how Veolia is treating them.

Some old bus operators found out that Veolia is training new drivers in small parking lot. FACT.

I sometimes meet with white male dispatcher who always cries for MTA to come back.

Veolia aren't doing very good job in my opinon.

Veolia made mistake cutting n21, and restructing n23 and n27.

Lots of NICE riders who are on n2/n8, n21, n23, n27, n78, n79, n33, n31/n32, n4, n6 says new company "Veolia S-word."

Veolia supposed to have n20 and n27 bus to be timed, however if they miss the bus in midday, they have to wait 1-hour.

According to both n20/n21 and n27 schedules, even Sunday schedule, not all the buses meet n27 Glen Clove Rd. It's LIE from Veolia.

Even Spanish-speaking people aren't happy running between n23 and n27 at Roslyn Station on weekend.

Wheelchair lift and ramps often break down.

I also heard former Able-Ride driver who told me there's still trouble for Able-Ride at LIBRU meeting.

One of Able-Ride did not showed up in one case, causing some disabled riders.

Veolia NICE doen't do good job with Service Alert at all.

They never posted detour for Chinese-Lunar New Year parade which was in Feb for Flushing-Main St.

Some drivers told me NICE Tow Trucks breakdown just like bus.

Almost every passengers I surveyed on my favorite routes told me they want (MTA) to come back.

Mod/Adm, maybe we could add polls to see who will win? Veolia NICE or MTA Long Island Bus.

Yes they should. But they can't becuase Nassau County won't give the MTA the money they want to run LIB.

Good for Nassau County, the MTA is a large incinerator of cash. And please, let's not talk about Nassau Executive salaries being bloated, as compared to maybe the multiple dwellings full of overpaid execs at the MTA.

Nassau would only return to the MTA if there is a strong financial incentive for them to do so. Maybe if the state pushes a true Regional Bus Operation to take over NYCT, MTA Bus, Bee Line and NICE, but even then it would probably only be feasible after Mangano is gone from the county executive's office.

I would want LI Bus to come back, it's the way things have always been run since the 70s in Nassau, but the issue is that Mangano doesn't want to pay the FAIR amount of money the MTA wants for LIB's operation. He'd rather have a multinational transportation conglomerate operate the system, not even a local company like the ones Bee-Line and ST use.

Perhaps they could of have Express buses go to Manhattan as another way around LIRR? How is it more costly to run MTA LIBus then MTA NYCT bus?

This is really the one thing I like about NICE, since they aren't under MTA control it's actually possible to complete with the LIRR. It's already happening really, with the Jamaica and Flushing express routes, and I think buying some MCIs or Prevosts and running express routes to Manhattan would be great. It'd ease a lot of crowding on the LIRR too, and honestly I think there's people out there that would still rather use the LIRR than take the bus so I don't see a NICE express to Manhattan taking too much ridership off the LIRR. I'd even be for using suburban RTSs or even *gasp* NABI 416s (only high floors I can think of that are still on the market) instead of motorcoaches.

NABI 416s? As in the NJT ones? No thank you! Hell, I'd take an Xcelsior over those ugly things!

I hate those buses too, but really, for a NICE Manhattan express they might be the right fit along with the RTS Legend (which I'd much rather have but still). Bee-Line uses Orion V suburbans on the BxM4C, if they were still available those would be the absolute PERFECT fit for NICE express service.

NICE is much better. The N22 and N24 buses are usually on time (or within 5 to 10 minutes of schedule) between Jamaica and Hicksville, whereas with the MTA you often had 30 to 45 minute delays on those lines. Plus the N6 express and N22 express have been huge time savers. They save express passengers such as me a great deal of time, plus prevent passengers on the local buses from being "flagged" due to people like me who would have been taking up their space on the local bus had there been no express alternative. A major improvement since NICE took over.

There is no need for a NICE bus to go into Manhattan. It wouldn't be cost effective and it would take much longer than the F train. The F trains leave 179th Street every 2 to 5 minutes during rush hours. It's only a 30 minute ride to Lex/63rd on the F train, and the F is going express all the way.

Perhaps they could of have Express buses go to Manhattan as another way around LIRR? How is it more costly to run MTA LIBus then MTA NYCT bus?

Ur kidding right? Have you seen the LIE in queens that is a disaster that should just be avoided. That needs to be left alone buddy. However I would agree about an express bus to flushing or LGA via flushing from roslyn with a variant via Northern blvd that can use cross island to LGA can work if routed properly. But to manhattan PLZ nobody would use it the LIRR is way too fast you can get to DEEP eastern parts of nassau from manhattan in 40 mins. LESS RIDERS IS ONE and if express buses to NYC was feasible then QM3 would not have dismal ridership it only exists cause the city pays for it if it was a NYCT line it would have long been axed before 2008!!!!! Express buses from nassau to NYC = FAILURE WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!! Must be some good stuff if you believe that would work damn

LI funds NICE, and they are doing a fine job. I agree w/express buses to Manhattan, it could bring in decent money for NICE.

HAHAHAHA FAIL written all over it!!!!!!!!!!

Nassau is barely scraping up enough money to fund NICE local services - where would the money for express bus service come from?

THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!

NICE is much better. The N22 and N24 buses are usually on time (or within 5 to 10 minutes of schedule) between Jamaica and Hicksville, whereas with the MTA you often had 30 to 45 minute delays on those lines. Plus the N6 express and N22 express have been huge time savers. They save express passengers such as me a great deal of time, plus prevent passengers on the local buses from being "flagged" due to people like me who would have been taking up their space on the local bus had there been no express alternative. A major improvement since NICE took over.

There is no need for a NICE bus to go into Manhattan. It wouldn't be cost effective and it would take much longer than the F train. The F trains leave 179th Street every 2 to 5 minutes during rush hours. It's only a 30 minute ride to Lex/63rd on the F train, and the F is going express all the way.

So true I agree 100 % I actually never thought N22 needed an express till NICE tried it it works. NICE extended N4 short turns eliminating the BS and When you send a message to em online THEY LISTEN!!!!!!!! N74/73 became a bit more reliable according to an LIRR rider I spoke with on N74 bus.

Yes, Nassau County Executive Edward P. Mangano need to paid for their bus system properly.

According to former LIB drivers and dispatcher, they don't like how Veolia is treating them.

Some old bus operators found out that Veolia is training new drivers in small parking lot. FACT.

I sometimes meet with white male dispatcher who always cries for MTA to come back.

Veolia aren't doing very good job in my opinon.

Veolia made mistake cutting n21, and restructing n23 and n27.

Lots of NICE riders who are on n2/n8, n21, n23, n27, n78, n79, n33, n31/n32, n4, n6 says new company "Veolia S-word."

Veolia supposed to have n20 and n27 bus to be timed, however if they miss the bus in midday, they have to wait 1-hour.

According to both n20/n21 and n27 schedules, even Sunday schedule, not all the buses meet n27 Glen Clove Rd. It's LIE from Veolia.

Even Spanish-speaking people aren't happy running between n23 and n27 at Roslyn Station on weekend.

Wheelchair lift and ramps often break down.

I also heard former Able-Ride driver who told me there's still trouble for Able-Ride at LIBRU meeting.

One of Able-Ride did not showed up in one case, causing some disabled riders.

Veolia NICE doen't do good job with Service Alert at all.

They never posted detour for Chinese-Lunar New Year parade which was in Feb for Flushing-Main St.

Some drivers told me NICE Tow Trucks breakdown just like bus.

Almost every passengers I surveyed on my favorite routes told me they want (MTA) to come back.

Mod/Adm, maybe we could add polls to see who will win? Veolia NICE or MTA Long Island Bus.

Err the only lines NICE butchered were N21/27/48/N55 and N32/31 to an extent but all NICE needs to do is merge N20 short turns into N21 and reextend N27 as oyster bay LIRR is infrequent. Restore N48 and reroute N46 Reshape N55 and extend N31 short turns to hempstead via N17 routing won't cost much money. YUKI you are basically almost as bad as RANTPOWER!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate those buses too, but really, for a NICE Manhattan express they might be the right fit along with the RTS Legend (which I'd much rather have but still). Bee-Line uses Orion V suburbans on the BxM4C, if they were still available those would be the absolute PERFECT fit for NICE express service.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NICE express service will FAIL miserably NO ONE will ever ever ever give up the LIRR for a bus EVER!!!! It would just crawl on the LIE and people would just go back to using LIRR. Unlike westchester that has different distances NICE doesn't have that advantage there is NO WAY a bus would work vs LIRR unless it was REVERSE peak only!!!!!! I actually convinced somebody to give up the BXM4C :P as she found out she was paying too much and that the MNRR was faster to boot!!!!! :D:P NICE buses should only go to queens and link to LIRR that's it. NICE to manhattan will Only work in the reverse direction any other time it will fail miserably. :D

N24 was on time???? :blink::ph34r:

NICE is much better? You're nuts!

NICE is much better? You're nuts!

I would say yes and no. No cause they screwed the N21 the N27 and N55/54 and 48 as well N74/73 they made no attempt to gain ridership however in their defense if you live in levittown you can use N70/72 to farmingdale LIRR. But many things they also did right improving N43 and N22 with X and L that greatly help. And they are more responsive to feedback than MTA as well. Cut em slack it's their first year man calm yourself NICE can and probably will improve. Unless you want half the lines gone?

I would say yes and no. No cause they screwed the N21 the N27 and N55/54 and 48 as well N74/73 they made no attempt to gain ridership however in their defense if you live in levittown you can use N70/72 to farmingdale LIRR. But many things they also did right improving N43 and N22 with X and L that greatly help. And they are more responsive to feedback than MTA as well. Cut em slack it's their first year man calm yourself NICE can and probably will improve. Unless you want half the lines gone?

I think Hound's right, I think he is B/O and lots of former B/Os are not happy with new company.

Maybe, former LIB operator could tell his/her opinion.

Most old drivers and dispatcher I talk to that they want MTA to come back.

Do you know also remember I recorded Able-Ride paratransit ride on 2242 during Feb NICE Community meeting in Great Neck, that driver also want MTA back.

Archived