Should MTA re-take over LIBus?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: NICE express service will FAIL miserably NO ONE will ever ever ever give up the LIRR for a bus EVER!!!! It would just crawl on the LIE and people would just go back to using LIRR. Unlike westchester that has different distances NICE doesn't have that advantage there is NO WAY a bus would work vs LIRR unless it was REVERSE peak only!!!!!! I actually convinced somebody to give up the BXM4C :P as she found out she was paying too much and that the MNRR was faster to boot!!!!! :D:P NICE buses should only go to queens and link to LIRR that's it. NICE to manhattan will Only work in the reverse direction any other time it will fail miserably. :D

N24 was on time???? :blink::ph34r:

Look at how many people perfer +SBS+ over the train.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Select n4, and n20 buses are NEVER ON TIME.

Yeah, the traffic lights on Northern Blvd, because they're so out of sync, really screw up the timing of buses no matter how they are scheduled. You cannot blame NICE for that.

It's not only traffic light.

After they elimated n21 off-peak service, n20 are crush loaded from Flushing to City Line, most of them get off at Great Neck.

Thats why they eliminated the n21 off peak. That's n20 territory. The n21 was meant for people who go to Glen Cove, but NICE saw that most of the n21 riders rode between Roslyn and Flushing, and that most people didn't go to Glen Cove, so they made it rush hours only. That's why I think it wouldn't be be profitable for the n21 to return to full service.

n21 needs to be restored, because lots of former n20 riders have to ran for n27.

n20 Roslyn short trip does not make sense because it's not major attraction. If they couldn't restore few more n21, n20 Roslyn short trip should be extended to Greenvale, so riders wouldn't miss n27 connection.

I remember last 18:30 n21 to Flushing was CRUSH LOADED from rear to front.

This is reason why Glen Clove folks want n21 bus to be restored.

I asked lots of business and they said because of change, their business are greatly affected by this changes.

Depends on time, sometimes both n20 local and n20 limited could be crowded until Greenvale.

That's not completely true. Here's some points to consider:

The M15SBS works because it's not near a subway that parallels. The nearest is the Lex and it's just easier to use compared to walking or taking a Crosstown to the Lex.

The others M34/34A SBS, The Bx12SBS and the S79SBS cover what subways don't. There's no train to/from SI from Brooklyn, No cross-Bronx subway nor a 34th street Crosstown train.

Now the concept of a Nassau-Manhattan route would have to benefit riders compared to the alternatives. It can't take longer than the railroad and be faster than an lcl bus to the subway. And reasonably priced too. Incentives to the commuter in this situation has to be there. To get them off the railroad it will have to a) provide service to where an RR station isn't. B)I can see it work if the bus also serves downtown Manhattan. C) traffic conditions will have to allow a travel time equal to or better than the LIRR D) have a fare that's not to much compared to a lcl bus-subway combo AND lower than the average fare for said routes coverage compared with the LIRR.

I think Hound's right, I think he is B/O and lots of former B/Os are not happy with new company.

Maybe, former LIB operator could tell his/her opinion.

Most old drivers and dispatcher I talk to that they want MTA to come back.

Do you know also remember I recorded Able-Ride paratransit ride on 2242 during Feb NICE Community meeting in Great Neck, that driver also want MTA back.

No interested in taking sides.

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: If you think people will take a bus over the LIRR except in the reverse peak direction then you are on stuff cough*drugs*cough stronger than anything I've ever known to exist. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's not completely true. Here's some points to consider:

The M15SBS works because it's not near a subway that parallels. The nearest is the Lex and it's just easier to use compared to walking or taking a Crosstown to the Lex.

The others M34/34A SBS, The Bx12SBS and the S79SBS cover what subways don't. There's no train to/from SI from Brooklyn, No cross-Bronx subway nor a 34th street Crosstown train.

Now the concept of a Nassau-Manhattan route would have to benefit riders compared to the alternatives. It can't take longer than the railroad and be faster than an lcl bus to the subway. And reasonably priced too. Incentives to the commuter in this situation has to be there. To get them off the railroad it will have to a) provide service to where an RR station isn't. B)I can see it work if the bus also serves downtown Manhattan. C) traffic conditions will have to allow a travel time equal to or better than the LIRR D) have a fare that's not to much compared to a lcl bus-subway combo AND lower than the average fare for said routes coverage compared with the LIRR.

You are arguing with a wall lol. Ohh the LIE will destroy any possibility of travel time being equal.

No interested in taking sides.

YOUR KIDDING RIGHT? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: If you think people will take a bus over the LIRR except in the reverse peak direction then you are on stuff cough*drugs*cough stronger than anything I've ever known to exist. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You are arguing with a wall lol. Ohh the LIE will destroy any possibility of travel time being equal.

Lmao. Walls don't phase me. And I'm just pointing out there's yet to be an SBS that "competes" in a way with a subway.

And I know the LIE can be a nightmare. But there's other routings and possible future HOV lanes. Plus there's still a good percentage that takes the railroad to the subway in Brooklyn and even jamaica.

The (MTA) can come back under these terms, Mangano is gone, and Nassau pays its subsidy. The question is, would everything stay the same?

It's not just Mangano. County governments in New York state are getting squeezed - be it Republican or Democrat, there is not much chance that the next county executive will have the tens of millions of dollars extra lying around to pay the MTA.

The one scenario I could see the MTA returning would be if Veolia is losing too much money running NICE and jacks up their annual fees closer to what the county was paying the MTA.

NICE is much better. The N22 and N24 buses are usually on time (or within 5 to 10 minutes of schedule) between Jamaica and Hicksville, whereas with the MTA you often had 30 to 45 minute delays on those lines.

Well I'm still seeing alot of those delays. Just tonight at n22 from Hicksville left 20 min late. Most of these delays are out of the control of NICE Bus since its from traffic and poorly timed traffic signals. I find the average lateness to be just as bad if not worse than MTA, because the traffic is still there but they decreased running times on some routes. And of course there are breakdowns as well, though I've been seeing less lately. I'm sure the arrival of the 3G's will help with that. One major improvement I will give to NICE is rider alerts, they post much more detour info than the MTA and even went through the trouble of posting notices about disruptions from Sandy at major bus stops.

My main complaint has been what they did with the n21, n23, and n27. They really need to have the n27 run to Roosevelt Field on weekends since the n23s are often jammed, plus connections at Roslyn are often missed leaving ppl to wait another hour. Its just not feasable to expect the connection given the traffic conditions. The n27 is just completely useless on weekends and I dont take it. Those n20 trips that go to CW Post should be extended to Glen Cove, it shouldn't cost much more.

I like NICE better because the buses are ON TIME unlike before.

Not for me they aint. They are usually 10 minutes late or more about 75% of the time. It depends on the route though, the south shore routes usually are on time, like today I took the 73 everything was on time. But the north shore and central areas, like the n20,n22,n23,n27,etc are always late, it's usually just from traffic. Looking at the n27 for instance it can lose 5 minutes or more just trying to make that left from Glen Cove Rd onto Jericho due to a rediculously short left turn signal, then on Glen Cove Rd in Greenvale both ways due to another mistimed NYSDOT signal at 25a which gives 25a much more green light, despite the fact Glen Cove Rd has far more volume. The backup in Greenvale is often almost a mile long!

It's not only traffic light.

After they elimated n21 off-peak service, n20 are crush loaded from Flushing to City Line, most of them get off at Great Neck.

They should've extended the n20 Roslyns to Roslyn RR to connect with the 27 instead of having everybody on the already more crowded Hicksville bus. I sure hope NICE officials read these boards as there's plenty of good ideas here.

In the event the county wants to drop Veolia, before running to another contractor or the MTA, why doesn't the County and NICE itself set up a joint power agreement. I think NICE can manage its internal operations on its own at this point in time.

Lmao. Walls don't phase me. And I'm just pointing out there's yet to be an SBS that "competes" in a way with a subway.

And I know the LIE can be a nightmare. But there's other routings and possible future HOV lanes. Plus there's still a good percentage that takes the railroad to the subway in Brooklyn and even jamaica.

There will never be one SBS is intended to improve bus service on it's own merit. NOT compete with the subway you seem to be one of the more realistic folks here. MTA will never give SBS to a corridor served by trains that is a fact.

HOV lanes or busway corridor can be added for LIE upto BQE to speed up QM lines then more on that later. I can see NICE getting NICER.

My main complaint has been what they did with the n21, n23, and n27. They really need to have the n27 run to Roosevelt Field on weekends since the n23s are often jammed, plus connections at Roslyn are often missed leaving ppl to wait another hour. Its just not feasable to expect the connection given the traffic conditions. The n27 is just completely useless on weekends and I dont take it. Those n20 trips that go to CW Post should be extended to Glen Cove, it shouldn't cost much more.

Interesting Let me guess you use LIRR now to mineola for N22/24 for roosevelt field? Did most weekend N27 riders give up and migrate to the LIRR to get to roosevelt field.

Archived