Should MTA re-take over LIBus?

As I said before the LIRR is no substitute due to ridership patterns. Most n27 riders travel between Glen Cove, Roosevelt Field, and Hempstead. The Oyster Bay line does not go directly to Hempstead, so riders have to disembark at Mineola and pay NICE another $2.25 on top of the $2.75 for the train. That's $5 vs $2.25, I dont blame ppl for not wanting to pay that.

God Forbid the LIRR or NICE would allow a free transfer at Mineola, God Forbid... :angry:

Transfer to N40 for hempstead OR N22/24 for roosevelt field You got shut down!!!!!!! And buses are timed no excuse if your that poor you don't belong in LI! TIME=MONEY If they cut out the smoking they will be able to afford it so OWNED. :P

Whatever job they have is not good enough period. It's not that expensive. Mineola intermodal is good enough.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waited for the n22 today which was 20 minutes late. Bus was so full we were flagging people from the cross island till we got to new Hyde park road. I'm sorry but I have take these buses under the mta and yeah I had issues but every nice experience has been outrageously horrible. With the mta, I had more painless trips then trips with hassles. Personally, I don't care whether or not the mta takes lib back, what I care about is that the public and everyone on this forum knows that the service has been dismal since veolia has entered the scene.

On a side note, notice how the president of NiCe hasn't had anything good to say about his service lately... Maintenance is dismal, planning is from mars and scheduling is well not there. The driver on the n22 was telling people to move to the back of the bus, there were 6 of standing up there and no seats. No excuse, not even traffic can be used for this debacle.

As I said before the LIRR is no substitute due to ridership patterns. Most n27 riders travel between Glen Cove, Roosevelt Field, and Hempstead. The Oyster Bay line does not go directly to Hempstead, so riders have to disembark at Mineola and pay NICE another $2.25 on top of the $2.75 for the train. That's $5 vs $2.25, I dont blame ppl for not wanting to pay that.

God Forbid the LIRR or NICE would allow a free transfer at Mineola, God Forbid... :angry:

Just throwing it out there, but if they really wanted to save the money, they could walk from Mineola to Hempstead (which is about 2 miles). But of course, I agree that there should be some type of free transfer allowed from the LIRR to NICE.

Transfer to N40 for hempstead OR N22/24 for roosevelt field You got shut down!!!!!!! And buses are timed no excuse if your that poor you don't belong in LI! TIME=MONEY If they cut out the smoking they will be able to afford it so OWNED. :P

Whatever job they have is not good enough period. It's not that expensive. Mineola intermodal is good enough.

Uh, and you have to pay for the bus, smart one.

And no, what if you live in an area like this? Just because you live on Long Island doesn't mean you can afford these extra things. And who the hell said anything about smoking?

Just throwing it out there, but if they really wanted to save the money, they could walk from Mineola to Hempstead (which is about 2 miles). But of course, I agree that there should be some type of free transfer allowed from the LIRR to NICE.

Uh, and you have to pay for the bus, smart one.

And no, what if you live in an area like this? Just because you live on Long Island doesn't mean you can afford these extra things. And who the hell said anything about smoking?

Alot of em waste money on cigs

Alot of em waste money on cigs

I agreed with check.

Slightly little off-topic.

Jackson Heights-Corona is also with many Spanish residents and they don't smoke.

Majority of Spanish residents here don't smoke cigarett.

Most Spanish residents only likes to hang out outside in summer, way PinePower stated in his video they just like to hang out.

Unlike Nassau County, Spanish residents who lives in houses or condo does their best to clean their house, apartment, store clean as possible.

They don't waste money on cigarett.

I think smart folks will buy cigarett out-of-state because it's cheaper that way.

Waited for the n22 today which was 20 minutes late. Bus was so full we were flagging people from the cross island till we got to new Hyde park road. I'm sorry but I have take these buses under the mta and yeah I had issues but every nice experience has been outrageously horrible. With the mta, I had more painless trips then trips with hassles. Personally, I don't care whether or not the mta takes lib back, what I care about is that the public and everyone on this forum knows that the service has been dismal since veolia has entered the scene.

On a side note, notice how the president of NiCe hasn't had anything good to say about his service lately... Maintenance is dismal, planning is from mars and scheduling is well not there. The driver on the n22 was telling people to move to the back of the bus, there were 6 of standing up there and no seats. No excuse, not even traffic can be used for this debacle.

I do note the lateness has been out of control lately. Buses now always come in bunches, even when they run on 30 min headways. The 5:55pm n27 is always at least 25 minutes late with the next one right behind. Yes Veolia is trying, but on a bare-bones budget maintanance will suffer, along with employee morale and pay, which is why so many drivers have quit. One guy I know who is still keeps saying he wishes Veolia would just leave already. I dont think he'll be staying if MTA doesn't come back soon, many have gone to Suffolk Transit (SBC) since its the same union.

The new drivers dont know the routes, get confused, and cause even more delays. Its kind of telling since when you see 2 in a row the late one is a new driver and the one behind is a former LIB driver.

No matter what Veolia does, unless the budget changes, it won't be reliable and there will be a revolving door of employees. While I havent had any breakdowns lately, 75% of the buses I have been on have been 10 minutes late or more, and the other day I had to tell an n22L driver the route. (MTA) wouldn't run this low standard of service and would rather run half the system, then have service this unreliable. This is what happens when Nassau County doesn't want to pay for quality bus service. Veolia is trying but without more $$ dont expect buses to be ontime or reliable anytime soon.

I do note the lateness has been out of control lately. Buses now always come in bunches, even when they run on 30 min headways. The 5:55pm n27 is always at least 25 minutes late with the next one right behind. Yes Veolia is trying, but on a bare-bones budget maintanance will suffer, along with employee morale and pay, which is why so many drivers have quit. One guy I know who is still keeps saying he wishes Veolia would just leave already. I dont think he'll be staying if MTA doesn't come back soon, many have gone to Suffolk Transit (SBC) since its the same union.

The new drivers dont know the routes, get confused, and cause even more delays. Its kind of telling since when you see 2 in a row the late one is a new driver and the one behind is a former LIB driver.

No matter what Veolia does, unless the budget changes, it won't be reliable and there will be a revolving door of employees. While I havent had any breakdowns lately, 75% of the buses I have been on have been 10 minutes late or more, and the other day I had to tell an n22L driver the route. (MTA) wouldn't run this low standard of service and would rather run half the system, then have service this unreliable. This is what happens when Nassau County doesn't want to pay for quality bus service. Veolia is trying but without more $$ dont expect buses to be ontime or reliable anytime soon.

I hope you're sending these posts about the pathetic service NICE is providing to Mangano & Cuomo.

And when LIB was there a lot of people were also complaining, especially in the last months with all the cuts. Nobody's gonna do it perfect. Maybe LIB did some things better than NICE but they also did screw up things. No company is perfect.

Also, Pine is a little confused it seems. I remember videos in which he almost wished LIB to death because of all the cuts and the low headways and now that NICE has done some things wrong he became an LIB fanboy all of a sudden?

And when LIB was there a lot of people were also complaining, especially in the last months with all the cuts. Nobody's gonna do it perfect. Maybe LIB did some things better than NICE but they also did screw up things. No company is perfect.

Also, Pine is a little confused it seems. I remember videos in which he almost wished LIB to death because of all the cuts and the low headways and now that NICE has done some things wrong he became an LIB fanboy all of a sudden?

I asked at MTA Public Hearing and it's because Edward P Mangano refused to paid $26 Million to (MTA), which (MTA) threatens to make domestic cut. If only county executive paid that amount, (MTA) never left the building and cuts were AVOIDED.

Lots of NICE Bus riders said, Edward P. Mangano only cares for rich people, funding money for new stadium.

Edward P. Mangano doesn't care for bus riders, police officers, etc.

I asked at MTA Public Hearing and it's because Edward P Mangano refused to paid $26 Million to (MTA), which (MTA) threatens to make domestic cut. If only county executive paid that amount, (MTA) never left the building and cuts were AVOIDED.

Lots of NICE Bus riders said, Edward P. Mangano only cares for rich people, funding money for new stadium.

I just do not know where to start. Thomas Suozzi never wanted to pay either, he just had no heart to fight the machine. Did you expect to hear anything good about Edward P. Mangano at an MTA hearing? Can I get a list of "lots of Nice bus riders" ? I work 60 yard from Edward P Mangano, and as a person, he has a hell of a lot more integrity than the idiots who flame him, and he made sure ALL Nassau was being aided, not just the "rich white areas" as to the stadium, if you read the papers, the Islanders are moving, and further, Edward P Mangano convinced Charles Wang to fund the stadium HIMSELF to no avail as the NIMBY'S and political pigs at the trough (much like the MTA) killed even a minimal cost arena. As to the Nassau PD, Edward P. Mangano is giving them some of the best software in the world to help protect them, its the too often greedy union he is not particularly fond of. I hope that covers at least some facts.

I just do not know where to start. Thomas Suozzi never wanted to pay either, he just had no heart to fight the machine. Did you expect to hear anything good about Edward P. Mangano at an MTA hearing? Can I get a list of "lots of Nice bus riders" ? I work 60 yard from Edward P Mangano, and as a person, he has a hell of a lot more integrity than the idiots who flame him, and he made sure ALL Nassau was being aided, not just the "rich white areas" as to the stadium, if you read the papers, the Islanders are moving, and further, Edward P Mangano convinced Charles Wang to fund the stadium HIMSELF to no avail as the NIMBY'S and political pigs at the trough (much like the MTA) killed even a minimal cost arena. As to the Nassau PD, Edward P. Mangano is giving them some of the best software in the world to help protect them, its the too often greedy union he is not particularly fond of. I hope that covers at least some facts.

Yeah, giving the NCPD fancy programs makes him a better person in the eyes of the people who don't have the one thing Long Islanders take for granted far too often.

Yeah, giving the NCPD fancy programs makes him a better person in the eyes of the people who don't have the one thing Long Islanders take for granted far too often.

Still, he has a point. I want a list of those "lots of NICE bus riders".

I was never an "LIB fanboy" and I'm still not. I dont hate NICE or Veolia. I'm just stating the facts. The (MTA) was unwilling to operate for that money because they put alot more $$ into labor and maintanance, so they said they'd only be able to operate half the system. Mangano said he could do it for even less and Veolia has a different way of doing things. By having a much lower budget for maintanance and labor, Veolia has been able to operate the system for much less. But the quality of the service is most definately less. Look at all the buses with broken destination signs. Then there's the labor, sure they kept former LIB operators at the same pay, but there were much less hours and poor working conditions, so many left and Veolia can hire new operators at much lower pay. Bottom line is something has to give with a much lower operating budget, (MTA) wanted to cut alot of service, but Veolia has had to cut maintanance and labor costs to keep a similar level of service. When you have lower paid labor the service quality is just not going to be there. Employees wont make this a long term career like MTA, so you'll have a revolving door of sorts. None of the former LIB drivers I know at NICE are happy. The problems at NICE and the ones at LIB all have the same cause, too small of an operating budget because Nassau County refuses to pay a decent and proper amount of subsidy into the system. And Mangano is just following what started with Gulotta and Suozzi.

Well, broken destination signs hasn't anything to do with maintenance money. Here in my city doesn't run Veolia but Connexxion, which is one of the most expensive operators of The Netherlands because just like LIB they put a lot of money into maintenance. But still there are buses with broken destination signs here despite all the money poured into it. So maintenance isn't really a problem.

But operating costs definetly play a big role. Although I don't really see why Veolia puts some own money into it. Veolia is booming business here in Europe and they also do a decent job in the USA as they get a contract in more towns. So I do wonder what prevents them from pouring some own money into NICE...

nassau county is $310,000,000 in debt, WE DONT HAVE THE MONEY

joe

MTA didn't didn't decide to leave the building, they were shown the door because they were ripping off the tax payers and riders with their bloated budgets.

What does the County Executive have against the MTA?

Oh thats easy. I don't think he has something against only the (MTA), because he wants to privatize everything (the sewer system). But he's a Republican, so he wants more money for himself and the county government.

MTA didn't didn't decide to leave the building, they were shown the door because they were ripping off the tax payers and riders with their bloated budgets.

And so how is everyone better off exactly? MTA wasn't running Nassau buses on a bloated budget. Veolia has had to cut things like maintanance and labor costs, and that has drastic effects on bus service. Buses breakdown more, are dirty, and often have non-working destination signs. Yeah even the 1800s have busted signs too. And labor, well we've already been through that. Bus drivers inexperienced often run late, or get lost. Some, according to the former driver I know, have been told they dont even understand bus schedules. Which kind of backs up what I saw today on the n27. Some lady asks the bus driver what time she should be at the bus stop, he says he leaves Glen Cove at 7:55pm and arrives in Greenvale at 7:14pm!! You have people who are more fit driving DOLLAR VANS than 40 foot transit buses! Most runs only pay 40 hours or less so and cheat drivers out of overtime anytime they can. Most of the former LIB operators are having trouble making ends meet and have to seek other employment, which is what Veolia wants so they can hire more of these $12 an hour wonders. It's not that Veolia is a bad company, they are trying to run an unsustainable level of service under the budget. The MTA knew it couldnt be done, hence cutting half the routes.

After what I saw today I definately think (MTA) needs to be back running Nassau buses. The service is a complete disaster. First bus I get on, an n22 the farebox fails to read my Metrocard. Driver doesn't even care and just lets me on. Then he's speeding through New cassel, missing people's stops several times disembarking pax have to scream just so he stops. Then he runs a red light or two on W.John St, and I mean blatently as the light was red for several seconds. The back of the 1700s bus was full of magic marker and looked like it hadnt been cleaned in months. Then on the n20 the farebox doesnt read my card again, but most of the other passengers have the same problem, as READ ERROR keeps coming up on the FB. Driver just lets everyone on, he looked disgusted with it, just like all of us. Then going back on the n27 some woman at the bus stop says the bus before never showed up, she gets on and tells the driver what happened and he does his best to explain in broken english he doesn't know, and just said he left Glen Cove at 7:55pm and that he was supposed to leave Greenvale at 7:14pm (notice the time mistake). Meanwhile we left Greenvale at 7:10pm, got into Roslyn at 7:18pm and the n23 is already there, not supposed to leave until 7:26pm according to the schedule, but prompty left at 7:20pm fortunately it waited for us.

It's a freakin' joke and getting worse. I'm begging the (MTA) to come back Tuesday in Melville. Though that won't happen until Mangano is gone or these new drivers start getting people killed with their crazy driving. Yeah I know they have cameras on the buses, but most of those don't even work. So many of the Orion V's have them falling off their suction cups on the windshield. At least the farebox worked on the n23 and n27...call me crazy but I think the MTA's plan was better, sure there'd have been no bus service in SE Nassau but the other routes which carry ppl like the n6,n20,n21, and n27 would have been left intact and I wouldnt feel like I'm riding a dollar van.

Everything looks like shit if you only look at it through your shit colored classes. You come here whining everyday that service would be so much better if the MTA was still around. Bull, and you know it because MTA wouldn't have the budget they had. "Oh but if only Mangano would pay the MTA what they wanted..." Oh yea, where is this money coming from? Transit agencies across the country are having their budget slashed.

Even if Nassau could pony up the money MTA had requested the transit system is still better left in the hands of Veolia, it is proven they can do more with the money. Unless you feel the money is better spent paying people in the office at Mitchel Field $80,000 and $100,000 a year. When times are tough MTA makes the rider suffer, when was the last time you heard of budget cuts and MTA laying off the elite in the office? The MTA is a piggy bank designed to hook up a select group of people with fantastic jobs, pay, and benefits (including pension) that do not exist in the private sector. When times get tough they punish the working class (the drivers) and the riders to keep what they have.

I posted this before to another user but will ask you the same question. Last year when the MTA took care of their "top people" at MTA LIB and hooked them up with jobs at other MTA organizations, how many of their top/senior drivers did they take care of, giving them a job at other MTA sites, protecting their pay, over time, and pension? The answer is none. They sent out the notice required by the WARN act and dropped the drivers at MTA LIB like a red headed step child once the piggy bank was dry in Nassau County.

The next you talk to your senior bus drivers and talking about how good times were at MTA, ask them how they felt when a dozen transit detectives lined them up like prisoners and took their uniforms and badges? I talked to a senior driver and he said he felt demeaned and low, after 20 years of service and this is how the MTA treated him. They didn't even trust drivers to return their badges. Could you imagine how that would feel? To give so many years to an organization and not even being trusted to turn in your badge with respect, you had to have a transit detective take from you in the hallway!?!

If senior drivers can't make ends meet, I feel bad for them, but if they depended on that much overtime to "survive" (I guess "survive" in Nassau County means own two new cars, a big house, and a summer home) taht means they were living beyond their means, but the MTA was a piggy bank and I guess how these drivers thought the ATM would never stop giving out cash as long as they needed it.

As far as senior drivers leaving, I don't buy it. $27/hr x 40 hours is $1080.00 a week, they are not making that anywhere else. $56,000 a year is pretty damn good, sorry the days of $100 grand a year is over. Where else in the area is a CDL B driver going to make $56,000 a year with medical and dental? No where!

As far as new drivers making $12/hr, you are wrong! I think that MAY be training pay, I'm told fixed route drivers earn $14/hr -to- $16/hr. That's pretty good, keep in mind the market is flooded with with CDL B drivers who have a P (and S) endorsement), the government paid for people to get the license when the economy tanked, now you have more drivers than jobs. As long as people out there are willing to accept driving jobs for $10/hr there will be jobs out there paying between $10/hr and $12/hr.

So, nice starting drivers at $16/hr is pretty good, and full benefits too! Keep in mind MTA started new drivers as LABO drivers, now new drivers can get a 40 hour week, I'm sure they're happy.

Every driver is new at one time, the same for MTA LIB but you didn't have people coming on here posting every time one of them missed a turn.

Driving a transit bus is different than driving a school bus, I'll tell because you have no idea what's like to drive a school bus or a transit bus. It's a different animal, it feels different (and probably only people who have driven both school and transit buses will understand that), it turns different, etc. and you have a**holes like you giving them shit when they're trying to focus on driving the bus!

People come from driving a school bus to a transit bus because there is more school bus work and these people look for a 40 hour week and 12 months of employment. MTA filled all of the work by giving senior drivers a lot of over time. To keep costs down Veolia spreads the work out in 40 hour weeks, so of course their will be a need for more drivers. Where do you think these drivers come from? Do you just press a button and poof, drivers with decades of experience show up? Of course Veolia has to teach EXPERIENCED COMMERCIAL DRIVERS how to drive a transit bus, no one is born knowing the routes, people make mistakes and any good driver is cautious when driving new equipment. So at the beginning (this is still the beginning) a logical person would expect to see more new drivers (and expect these new drivers to have a learning curve) because Veolia needs more drivers to run the system the way they do. After a couple of years, you will see less new drivers and less mistakes will be made because the drivers are more seasoned. What can you do? Go back to a system paying out ridiculous overtime to senior drivers to limit new drivers, a system that broke the bank once, just to keep pine power & friends happy?

I also think it is offensive, and that you owe these new drivers an apology saying they not fit to drive a dollar van. I don't think you would last a day as a new nice b/o, or school bus driver! You still haven't told me what you do for living? Where you work are the new employees automatically on the same level as the senior employees?

I'm going to call veolias service bull. You know I let things slide because transit agencies have bad days but nice has bad days all day every day! I was waiting for the dreaded n6 today again, I got to the bus stop at 2:00, the first bus showed up at 2:17 and didn't stop, the next one picked us up at 2:20 we both went non stop to elmont road because we flagged a bunch of people all the way through. The 20 people we were able to pick up at elmont rd told us they were waiting for 40 mins. We left about another 30 people at the very busy elmont road that veolia refuses to acknowledge as a busy stop. Any-who I don't blame the lack of service on new drivers.

I was talking to a good buddy of mine who works at nice and he was telling me that 20 1700s are down and out and 10 1800s have been sitting for 2 months out of service. Plenty of Orion v buses are down too but I stress the importance of the newer buses not working. Veolia is working with less and providing much less service. The mta was straight forward, they said if Nassau can't provide money they would run service to what they can afford. Sure service would have been less but I know I wouldn't wait for a long period of time everytime I take a Nassau bus every day. I'm going to say this now as my opinion stands veolia hasn't made any right moves with scheduling, they are incapable of providing reliable service and they are lying through their teeth.

As for the comment about mta being top heavy, I know a few people who lost thier jobs in 2010 and they made more money than any of us combined because they were cutting top heavy. So don't think you know, the news knows nothing but half truths.

No one should defend veolia, they are incompetent!

Archived