Skip-Stop service being proposed

Charleston

I just read in today's AM New York and the New York Daily News that skip-stop service was being considered on some lines to reduce overcrowding.

Has anyone heard especially you NYC Transit workers that post here on what line(s) are being considered for skip-stop service.

I just read in today's AM New York and the New York Daily News that skip-stop service was being considered on some lines to reduce overcrowding.

Has anyone heard especially you NYC Transit workers that post here on what line(s) are being considered for skip-stop service.

Interesting. What lines?

I hope its the (4) via Jerome Avenue lawds knows they need an express service in The Bronx.....its utterly ridiculous how its packed from front to back during rush hours and especially if the train is late....so it would be nice to see a <4> for once

They have the track. Peak direction express, like we have on the (7)<7>.

I hope its the (4) via Jerome Avenue lawds knows they need an express service in The Bronx.....its utterly ridiculous how its packed from front to back during rush hours and especially if the train is late....so it would be nice to see a <4> for once
Hmmm...but I wonder if it'll be worth it since after 125th Street, it'll be 149th Street/Grand Concourse, Burnside Avenue and then last stop Woodlawn.

Unless, for the AM Rush, for southbound service from the Bronx, heres what the stops should be:

Woodlawn

Mosholou Parkway

Bedford Park

Kingsbridge Road

Fordham Road

183rd Street

Burnside Avenue

149th Street/Grand Concourse

125th Street

Then for the PM Rush, the reverse of that.

Hmmm...but I wonder if it'll be worth it since after 125th Street, it'll be 149th Street/Grand Concourse, Burnside Avenue and then last stop Woodlawn.

Unless, for the AM Rush, for southbound service from the Bronx, heres what the stops should be:

Woodlawn

Mosholou Parkway

Bedford Park

Kingsbridge Road

Fordham Road

183rd Street

Burnside Avenue

149th Street/Grand Concourse

125th Street

Then for the PM Rush, the reverse of that.

That sounds about right....if its def late 125th Street, 149th Street-Grand Concourse, Burnside Avenue and then Woodlawn as you said already

Skip Stop service only makes sense if there's two different routes on any given subway line. (1)/(9) was one example, and (J)/(Z) is the current example.

(4) local <4> express anyone? Hopefully a <4> express in the Jerome Avenue line would cut delays since it's rated worst on on time ratings by the Strap hangers campaign

What if there's a skip stop on

(A)(C) at IND Fulton since the lines compliment each other?

(6)/<6> at IRT Lexington

Revive the (1)/(9)

Just thinking of ideas.

Why? (A) = express, (C) = local. What more do you want? Its just fine how it is now.
(6)/<6> at IRT Lexington
Already is during the rush and part of midday.

Revive the (1)/(9)
Nah, (1) doing it good now. The (9) was a mess because so many different communities wanted to the (9) to stop at their local stop.

Why? (A) = express, (C) = local. What more do you want? Its just fine how it is now.

Already is during the rush and part of midday.

Nah, (1) doing it good now. The (9) was a mess because so many different communities wanted to the (9) to stop at their local stop.

The (A) and (C) was just an idea. Oh right, I forgot the (A) was express and (C) was local. When I rode the (A) to Lefferts Blvd, it was running local and there was no (C). Must have been late at night.

Skip Stop service only makes sense if there's two different routes on any given subway line. (1)/(9) was one example, and (J)/(Z) is the current example.

(4) local <4> express anyone? Hopefully a <4> express in the Jerome Avenue line would cut delays since it's rated worst on on time ratings by the Strap hangers campaign

What if there's a skip stop on

(6)/<6> at IRT Lexington

Revive the (1)/(9)

Just thinking of ideas.

But the (J)/(Z) isn't two different routes. It's only a skip stop.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07222008/news/regionalnews/4_shame_on_worst_subway_120928.htm

4 SHAME ON WORST SUBWAY

By PATRICK GALLAHUE, LUKE DENNEHY and MARISSA LANG

Last updated: 8:20 am

July 22, 2008

Posted: 3:30 am

July 22, 2008

The No. 4 Lexington Avenue so-called express is the slowest line in the subway system with a pathetic 79.7 percent on-time average, according to a new survey by New York City Transit.

The second-latest line in the system was another express, the No. 2, with an on-time performance of 81.1 percent.

The entire system scores a 92 percent on-time record for the year ending in May.

"It's so damn hot waiting, and then it's so crowded, you're completely stressed out when you get to work," said No. 4 train commuter Henry Richardson, 48, from The Bronx.

NYC Transit is still studying the causes for the 4's rapidly declining on-time performance.

But it will consider a number of remedies to get back on track - including creating a "skip-stop" system.

Skip-stop, which is already working on the J/Z line, schedules alternate trains to leapfrog stations.

"We're going to look at everything . . . and skip-stop is something that people do in other systems," said NYC Transit President Howard Roberts at an MTA board meeting yesterday.

"We'll be looking at that as well."

Board member Mark Lebow told Roberts, "I encourage you to think up something and do it."

No. 2 line commuter Jeff Marshall, 42, of Brooklyn, described his daily ride as "a complete nightmare."

"I have to take the train every day, and it's always late," he said.

The third-tardiest train was yet another express, the No. 5, which pulled into stations on schedule an average of 84.8 percent of the time.

The Franklin Avenue shuttle in Brooklyn and the Rockaway Park shuttle in Queens were the most prompt trains at 99.7 percent and 99.2 percent averages, respectively.

But the Franklin shuttle serves only four stations and the Rockaway Park shuttle serves only seven.

The J/Z was on time 98.8 percent of the time. And the M, which shares part of the J/Z route, scored 98.7.

The No. 7 line averaged a 91.8 percent on-time performance. It also will start running morning express trains one hour earlier.

This is THE dumbest idea ever. Unless you only do it in the Bronx, doing skip-stop on a line which is already an express is overkill. Plus it won't solve the problems that make the train late anyway.

But the (J)/(Z) isn't two different routes. It's only a skip stop.

but the J line does do skip-stop during the day when the M running local....I don't know if the J does it during the rush hour since you have the Z to do that.

if anything PATH needs to bring back their express service or some type of skip stop service....those trains during the Rush Hour are jus crazy

but back on topic... im not sure skip-stop service would work with lines that are already express such as the (4)

I always thought maybe Qns Blvd could run skip stop service with the (R) & (V) during rush hrs to ease crowding on the (E) & (F)

but the J line does do skip-stop during the day when the M running local....I don't know if the J does it during the rush hour since you have the Z to do that.

The (J) AND (Z) express it Marcy to Myrtle...

(J) and (Z) are Skip stop after that, there are "express" stops that both trains make but other than those the two trains alternate where they stop hence "skip stop"...

However that only works there because the headways are sufficiently long to do it, and its more rare that someone would be trying to get from a (J) stop to a (Z) stop since if they're commuting into Manhattan those trains all make stops down there...

(1) and (9) you had stops all up and down the west side, City College, Columbia, 125, a major transfer point at 168, lots going on so a lot of people didn't want their stops skipped...plus the headways weren't conducive to it if a train was "slow" or running a few mins late...

if anything PATH needs to bring back their express service or some type of skip stop service....those trains during the Rush Hour are jus crazy
Yes! I have a good plan for it too!

but back on topic... im not sure skip-stop service would work with lines that are already express such as the (4)
The (4) needs skip stop service in the Bronx though.

I always thought maybe Qns Blvd could run skip stop service with the (R) & (V) during rush hrs to ease crowding on the (E) & (F)
I say just leave that as it is.

Archived