Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

That's pretty stupid if they're closing the entire terminal. The tracks I can see but you've got the entire dining concourse there, along with the Apple store. That is too much revenue for the (MTA) to loose, not to mention that folks couldn't work that day in those businesses. I'll have to see for myself tomorrow if this is true or if they just mean the MetroNorth tracks are closed.

Doesn't make any difference. The plain reading is the Terminal is closed even if the statement is wrong.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't make any difference. The plain reading is the Terminal is closed even if the statement is wrong.

Yeah, but it does make a difference, in fact a big difference. We'll see tomorrow. Do you know how many businesses would be shut down tomorrow if they close the entire terminal??? If those areas aren't flooded then I see no reason to shut them down.

Yeah, but it does make a difference, in fact a big difference. We'll see tomorrow. Do you know how many businesses would be shut down tomorrow if they close the entire terminal??? If those areas aren't flooded then I see no reason to shut them down.

I meant it doesn't make any difference to anybody who reads the website. Even if the Apple store is open, no one is going to know it's open because the website states the terminal is closed.

All of that switching is going to cause problems during rush hour, but we're working with what we have here.

That's the point I was trying to make. But still, the MTA hasnt even announced publically how long the subway system could be shut down, nor what might be open or closed when the system returns.

This isn't 9/11. The (1) will NOT BE GOING TO BROOKLYN!!!! We don't have the crews for it, it makes the route WAY TOO LONG, and just confuses the passengers. Not to mention that we won't be seeing ANY (3) service in Manhattan for quite a while either. All I can say is that these Fast Tracks really helped us (and you) prepare for what's to come.

The (G) service idea is actually quite possible unless Newton Creek overflowed into the tunnels. And even then, the (G) could just short-turn at Bedford/Nostrand.

Nope, Newtown tunnel is flooded.

- (L) service from Canarsie (if it isn't flooded) or Broadway Junction (if Canarsie IS flooded) to Bedford Avenue (if Bedford Avenue is not flooded.) If Bedford Avenue is flooded, this is most likely not possible.

Yes, 14/Bedford is flooded. Canarsie is fine though. Don't expect any (L) service other than the El portion for a while....

- (S) service along Franklin Avenue (if Prospect Park isn't flooded)

That's flooded too....

Well as far as I know, 60 St tunnel is fine, so there's no reason the N/Q can't run from Astoria to somewhere in midtown, as long as they can get some equipment over there (they'll probably have to take some snowbirds from Queens Blvd/Jamaica). 53 and all tunnels south of it are another story.....

This isn't 9/11. The (1) will NOT BE GOING TO BROOKLYN!!!! We don't have the crews for it, it makes the route WAY TOO LONG, and just confuses the passengers. Not to mention that we won't be seeing ANY (3) service in Manhattan for quite a while either. All I can say is that these Fast Tracks really helped us (and you) prepare for what's to come.

Except that the 7th Avenue FastTracks plan has both (1) and (2) trains terminating at 34th Street and (4) trains replacing the (3) to New Lots and (5) trains replacing the (2) to Flatbush. That can only be done if the Joralemon Street tunnel is available and the Clark Street tunnel is not.

On the other hand, if Clark Street tunnel is able to be restored sooner rather than later and the (3) is not able to come back for quite a while, then wouldn't it make sense to have the (1) temporarily replace the (3) in Brooklyn? You say you don't have the crews for an extended 1 service to New Lots, but if the 3 remains suspended long-term, then wouldn't those 3 crews be available to operate the extra trains needed for an extended 1? In 2001 and 2002, they had enough crews to operate a (1) to/from New Lots AND a shortened (3) to/from 14th. How would there not be enough crews for an extended (1) with no (3) service running? Yes, a 1 service to/from New Lots is a long, local route. But the MTA ran it from September 20, 2001 to September 15, 2002, after realizing they just couldn't run the (2) and (3) local from 96th to Chambers and the (1) express from 96th to 14th without causing extensive delays outside 96th St due to express and local trains constantly crossing in front of each other.

Changing for the (R) at Times Square might also not be an option either. The (R) and (1) operate so close to each other in Lower Manhattan, that I would be very surprised if the (R) didn't suffer nearly as much flooding as the (1) did. But I guess we'll find out in the coming days.

Nope, Newtown tunnel is flooded.

Yes, 14/Bedford is flooded. Canarsie is fine though. Don't expect any (L) service other than the El portion for a while....

That's flooded too....

Any progress with the pumping out the water in these areas? The Franklin shuttle is flooded? That's not near water.

Yeah, they did the Joralemon Tubes first (because you gotta keep those UES'ers happy!) so that tunnel will be good to go as soon as the power gets back.

I don't have the details on the Franklin Shuttle, just that there is too much damage for shuttle service to run yet.

Here is the Google Superstorm Sandy map for NYC:

http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc

I have one question: Can anyone tell me did NYCTA move their equipment (subway cars,maint equipment, etc) out of areas of potential flooding?

It is one reason why MTA may have shut system down in advance was to get equipment to high ground. I remember New Orleans was not able to move their brand new streetcars for the Canal St line(New Orleans) away from low ground before Katrina. The result was the loss of all the new cars. (The carhouse for the older equipment was on higher ground).

My thoughts and prayers for everyone affected by this.

Thanks From Hope, Ar

IGN

Here is the Google Superstorm Sandy map for NYC:

http://google.org/cr.../2012-sandy-nyc

I have one question: Can anyone tell me did NYCTA move their equipment (subway cars,maint equipment, etc) out of areas of potential flooding?

It is one reason why MTA may have shut system down in advance was to get equipment to high ground. I remember New Orleans was not able to move their brand new streetcars for the Canal St line(New Orleans) away from low ground before Katrina. The result was the loss of all the new cars. (The carhouse for the older equipment was on higher ground).

My thoughts and prayers for everyone affected by this.

Thanks From Hope, Ar

IGN

Yes, they did move the trains. But there are many other problems right now.

A couple of other comments.

As I remember the Manhattan side of the Williamsburg bridge subway (J?) is below sea level. Maybe I'm wrong it's been a number of years since I've been in the city.

Thx Again From Hope, Ar

IGN

Archived