Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the 7 line is in a lot of trouble right now, between the tube being flooded and a lot of signal damage on the el (yeah yeah, the same signaling system they're trying to upgrade. shut up). As for the J, whether or not the Manhattan section is flooded is irrelevant as long as there is no power along any part of it, so either way there won't be any Nassau service right away. Of course, nobody wants to listen to the updates I've been providing and instead want to paint their own interpretations, so don't take my word for it.

Just poped in to the New York Times site. They report the Steinway tube flooded.

Also here is their assessment: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/30/nyregion/hurricane-sandys-aftermath.html

They also had a map: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/newsgraphics/2012/1029-hurricane-updates/subway_tunnels.png

Rgds IGN

Yeah, the 7 line is in a lot of trouble right now, between the tube being flooded and a lot of signal damage on the el (yeah yeah, the same signaling system they're trying to upgrade. shut up). As for the J, whether or not the Manhattan section is flooded is irrelevant as long as there is no power along any part of it, so either way there won't be any Nassau service right away. Of course, nobody wants to listen to the updates I've been providing and instead want to paint their own interpretations, so don't take my word for it.

You are a lot closer to this then I am. I've mostly been skimming thru to see what I could find out. I did not see any maps so I've posted what I saw.

I read somewhere that DeKalb Av was flooded. I can not understand why. As I remember it that part of downtown Brooklyn and Flatbush Av is on high ground.

Thx IGN

Mark my words the 1 WILL go to New Lots whenever subway service is restored to Brooklyn and not South Ferry.

This is EXACTLY what I would do on a temporary basis if South Ferry (old and new) are unavailable and Rector Street is also unusable (although if the (1) can go past Rector to where it fully crosses the switch, then the (1) can terminate at Rector without going into South Ferry if SF is unusable). If the (3) has to be suspended due to Lenox Terminal not being available, then it would make sense to do that, especially if the Joralemon tunnel is NOT available.

Speaking of the old SF loop, if that station is not available to turn the (1), isn't the (5) in the same boat? If that is the case, we could see the (5) temporarily having to run local on Lexington and terminate with the (6) at Brooklyn Bridge when not running to Brooklyn.

How I would handle this until SF can be used OR trains can at least get past the crossover at Rector and come back on the uptown track AND assuming the Clark and Jorealemon tunnels are usable:

(1) runs regular route to Chambers and replaces the (3) to New Lots while the (3) is suspended until 148th-Lenox Terminal can reopen ( (1) borrows extra trains and crews from the suspended (3) for this). Late nights, (1) is shortened to 14th Street.

(2) is back to normal

(4) is back to normal

(5) runs normal hours to Flatbush Avenue as an express. After service in Brooklyn ends, (5) runs as a local in Manhattan between 125th Street and Brooklyn Bridge, terminating with the (6) there.

Ok, heres whats up. 207 was under water but slowly going down. The 2 46's that were in the station when I left there Monday morning were flooded past there doors & maybe up to the windows. Diesel trains will pull them out and tow them to the yard whenever possible & they might be done if they can't fix them up (depending on how much water/salt damage plus the amount of time its been sitting in the water)

Dyckman is flooded, the lead from 207 yard to dyckman is flooded or completley under water.

I could not get into the station but did go to 207 Yard to report to work. 207 Yard is like a ghost town and the only train I saw there was a R-44 with a newley painted bonnet looking sharp and ready for service.

I was told to report to 168 on the (C) between 8pm to 4am. Nothing is moving as of right now.

From what I saw and heard from supervision... & don't quote me on this, this is what I read from a reliable source.

(C) Suspended (A) Local from 207 to either 59 or 34. (E) Suspended (Q) Suspended (M) stays in middle village (F) 179 to 34 (B) Suspended (D) 205 to 34st. I also heard something about (4) from Woodlawn to 42st. Also No trains to brooklyn

Damaged 46's (night before Monday 10/29/12 2:30AM)

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

You are a lot closer to this then I am. I've mostly been skimming thru to see what I could find out. I did not see any maps so I've posted what I saw.

I read somewhere that DeKalb Av was flooded. I can not understand why. As I remember it that part of downtown Brooklyn and Flatbush Av is on high ground.

Thx IGN

Because of the tunnel approaches to the Manhattan Bridge perhaps?

In the same article assessing this damage it was mentioned that Brooklyn Heights experienced severe flooding. The pics themselves speaks volumes. I would imagine there is something going on at Dekalb Ave. on the 4th Ave BMT from the tunnel approaches to the Manhattan Bridge going inland. Power was subsequently cut off on the Manhattan Bridge tracks and signaling system as another person eloquently points out in his post, that would be for a reason.

The map only gives a Manhattan-centric scope of the damage, says nothing about the outer boroughs with the exception of the status of the SIR which was information posted on the MTA site word for word practically. Yet the word is that the South Brooklyn BMT among other sections of the system obviously got hammered thanks to insider information from members on this site. I wished the New York Times article was more in depth on the extent of the subway damage system wide.

As of 8am this morning, the MTA.info website isn't very useful for those that usually don't use buses. I get that they had to simplify their website temporarily due to higher than usual traffic. They have added links to bus maps but the links don't work. Great that buses are running close to a weekday schedule but a lot of people don't know what the schedules are as those links are gone as well.

As of 8am this morning, the MTA.info website isn't very useful for those that usually don't use buses. I get that they had to simplify their website temporarily due to higher than usual traffic. They have added links to bus maps but the links don't work. Great that buses are running close to a weekday schedule but a lot of people don't know what the schedules are as those links are gone as well.

There are a lot of websites based in New York with major issues right now due to flooding. The Daily Racing Form main site has been down since yesterday evening due to flooding during what is one of the biggest weeks of the year for Horse Racing (Breeders' Cup). The (MTA) site may be dealing with the same issue.

Just admit that you want to see a R62A in Brooklyn. Ugh.

LOL, I'm 34 years old. I've already seen and rode R62As in Brooklyn. Countless times. I don't have any particular need or want to see an R62A in Brooklyn.

Also, I don't claim to be an expert. I never said I was, but thanks for the complement ;) But seriously, what I do know is that the last time the MTA lost the (1) train tunnel due to disaster (yes, 9/11/01), they tried running a shortened (1) service to 14th Street and running the (2) and (3) fully local. It only lasted two or three days. Why? Because they realized that service pattern resulted in significant delays at 96th Street. It just didn't work with weekday service headways. And it won't work this time around for the same reason - expresses and locals crossing in front of each other. Like I said, we'll find out what the MTA decides to do over the next few days.

There are a lot of websites based in New York with major issues right now due to flooding. The Daily Racing Form main site has been down since yesterday evening due to flooding during what is one of the biggest weeks of the year for Horse Racing (Breeders' Cup). The (MTA) site may be dealing with the same issue.

I now appoint Wallyhorse lol as our offical NYCTF horse racing analyst. :D Sorry guys just had to throw a little joke to break tension on a serious and tragic day for the greatest city in the world.

This isn't 9/11. The (1) will NOT BE GOING TO BROOKLYN!!!! We don't have the crews for it, it makes the route WAY TOO LONG, and just confuses the passengers. Not to mention that we won't be seeing ANY (3) service in Manhattan for quite a while either. All I can say is that these Fast Tracks really helped us (and you) prepare for what's to come.

Appreciate the updates man. Some of us actually have jobs to do and places to be be, and railfans imagining the GOs doesn't help out all that much. Specially here in the dark... Infrastructure-wise, this is probably WORSE than 9/11 from the supervisors and officials I've talked to. The subway system (and this whole city) got hit hard. [They're telling me it's gonna be a week until power at this point, and as long as there's no power, there's no subway below 34th.] Just gonna have to be day by day, appreciate hearing what's up.

I now appoint Wallyhorse lol as our offical NYCTF horse racing analyst. :D Sorry guys just had to throw a little joke to break tension on a serious and tragic day for the greatest city in the world.

Now I understand why his username is Wallyhorse.

Thanks MHV. I just don't like providing updates with what's going on, only to get arguments from other posters who don't even WORK here, yet still think they know everything better than I do. For the record, this 1 to NLTS thing has been discussed to death at work, and it is NOT happening again, despite Wallyhorse's wishes. You can thank the union for that. Even with the 9/11 case, it was only temporary, and then when they saw it was going to be long term, they had to have a new pick for it since there were so many grievances from those with picked jobs at 242 who kept getting sent to Brooklyn to work. If my (1) job reporting location got changed to NLTS, I'd be picketing too.

(C) Suspended (A) Local from 207 to either 59 or 34. (E) Suspended (Q) Suspended (M) stays in middle village (F) 179 to 34 (B) Suspended (D) 205 to 34st. I also heard something about (4) from Woodlawn to 42st. Also No trains to brooklyn

That's pretty much what I heard, except that the (A) will be running from 168-34 (with a RARE RARE opening of 30th St tower!) with a southern section running Lefferts to Jay. A shuttle bus will cover the gap.

Archived