Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I heard that the Whitehall - South Ferry station is under water up to the ceiling! :o

I would be cool if they sent a scuba diver to take photos of the station completely under water, especially Whitehall Street with that R160 that was left in the station.

Ewww with that nasty disease plagued water? There's probably rat carcasses and who-knows-what floating around in that water...

Does anyone know if those bus bridges will be making corresponding subway stops? I'm hoping those buses don't run straight from 57th Street to Brooklyn...

Thank you to those of you who kept the rest of us informed on the status of the subway, bus and commuter rail systems. And thank you to MTA, NJ Transit and Port Authority crews for their diligent efforts to get the subway and commuter rail systems back up and running. It's amazing that they were able to get as much of it back up as they have so far. Great job, guys!

I agree... they should have ran the from 34th Street-Forest Hills as well to supplement...

Or the (R) to 57th/7th. (The track configuration between 42nd and 34th doesn't really allow two lines to use 34th as a terminal.)

No trains are stopping at 57th/7th due to the crane situation.

-Southbound (N) trains in Manhattan stop at Lexington Av, 5th Av, 49th St, Times Square, and Herald Square (SB plat).

-Northbound (N) trains in Manhattan stop at Herald Square (SB plat), Times Square (NB exp track), 5th Av, and Lexington Av.

Yeah and for all of those who b*tch about how slow buses are they'll be having to use them since the subways will be out. Imagine that. <_<

So they'll be using them while b*tching. What's the problem?

I know you in Athens but as of this time (1130 am US East coast time) website says its running but it could be an online error. Maybe someone like Checkmate who lives on SI can confirm.

I didn't have power for most of the day yesterday, but in any case, you have a lot of sections that are below-grade, and a lot of the areas south/east of the SIR are flood zones (many of them Zone A).

how will people in brooklyn get to manhattan? I think there is only the Q60 bus that goes into manhattan

They'll be running subway shuttles. But I'm sure there's going to be a lot of traffic, so you might be better off walking.

Some bus routes have gone into operation. But WHERE can you buy a Metrocard if subway stations are closed? Who carries $5.50 in coins to ride an express bus?

Most delis & supermarkets carry MetroCards.

(1) runs regular route to Chambers and replaces the (3) to New Lots while the (3) is suspended until 148th-Lenox Terminal can reopen ( (1) borrows extra trains and crews from the suspended (3) for this). Late nights, (1) is shortened to 14th Street.

(2) is back to normal

(4) is back to normal

(5) runs normal hours to Flatbush Avenue as an express. After service in Brooklyn ends, (5) runs as a local in Manhattan between 125th Street and Brooklyn Bridge, terminating with the (6) there.

There's a crossover north of Brooklyn Bridge. There's no need to run the (5) local in Manhattan off-peak.

As for the (1) to New Lots, well if Snowblock says it won't happen then that's it. I don't think it would be a bad idea, though.

I mean, what you could also do is have the (4) go to New Lots, the (5) go to Utica, and then have the (1) terminate at 14th, but I doubt that would happen either.

I believe that the MTA will surprise us all with the speed that South Ferry will reopen. It only took them one week in the 50's with dated equipment to fix the Astor Place flood. Granted, things have changed, but I think we could be back to 75% capacity within the next 2 weeks.

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT.

Archived