Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can clarify that this is the same list emailed to me from RCC last night. The 7 will *NOT* be running tomorrow. Believe me or don't believe me, but that is the situation.

Weird. First you're almot screaming how there will be no New Lots service and now we got an official list that the (4) *will* operate to New Lots... Not saying that I don't appreciate your updates but if you're gonna pick at T to Dyre Ave and co. that you know everything it seems to me a little weird that you got a thing or two wrong predicted.

Weird. First you're almot screaming how there will be no New Lots service and now we got an official list that the (4) *will* operate to New Lots... Not saying that I don't appreciate your updates but if you're gonna pick at T to Dyre Ave and co. that you know everything it seems to me a little weird that you got a thing or two wrong predicted.

Well, he is a conductor on the MTA, so even if he's wrong, he has more basis in reality than nearly all here on the forums.

Well, he is a conductor on the MTA, so even if he's wrong, he has more basis in reality than nearly all here on the forums.

That's true and I do appreciate his posts and updates! I just found it a little weird how he made several agitated posts how there would be no New Lots service and after all there is New Lots service and he keeps quiet about it.

I am still trying to put myself to the fact how there was that much water. Sea Beach flooded, so that means the (N). There are just billions of connections making the Subway practically an underground sewer system. I heard the water got all the way up Concourse!!! And 207 St!!! This is insane. I have never seen anything like this in my entire life. This is crazy, but pretty interesting at the same time. You don't think?

I mean, look at this image from Peacemak3r at Av U.

nTKvk.jpg

Ok, not so bad. Now look at this one by Tristan (tvega9681) at Gravesend.

679676779.jpg

Look how much the water has risen. It looks like a damn dock. Literally, this is what it looks like when we come back from a fishing trip late at night. Don't you guys find this quite insane?

The 5 which is operating would generally be known as the 2 in most situations. But since it is express, they are calling it the 5...

No mention about the Dyre segment and I guess it's to distinguish the two portions since the (5) is covered in the Bronx (2) and Manhattan (4). But (2) shuttles, few years ago, did run express from Atlantic to Franklin and then normal to Flatbush.

For those who lived in Staten Island who uses Staten Island Ferry commute, latest update:

The city's Transportation Commissioner said that damage to both Staten Island Ferry terminals is the reason why ferry service has not yet been restored.

Janette Sadik-Khan said that in addition, there was damage to electrical components that operate the movable ramps.

"As we've cleaned the terminals around the clock and closely assessed and repaired each slip, we're getting closer to having all the pieces necessary to restore service safely," she said in a statement sent to the news media and ferry riders via email. "We still have more damage assessment and recovery left at St. George in particular before we will have a firm estimate on when service will resume, but we hope to make an announcement soon."

She said that the ferries themselves were securely moored throughout the storm.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/city_hopes_for_announcement_so.html

No. I said there are no plans to run the (1) to New Lots.....

No way wally, Send the (4) to New Lots full-time and suspend the (3) with a shuttle bus from Lenox Term to 135th.

Have the (1) end at Rector and go through the loop (not stopping)

But if the loop is flooded, end the (1) at Chambers

As noted, whether the SF loop is flooded or not, an option IS to have the (1) terminate at Rector as long as it can after there safely complete going past the crossover south of Rector and use that to get the (1) back into Rector on the northbound track.

No mention about the Dyre segment and I guess it's to distinguish the two portions since the (5) is covered in the Bronx (2) and Manhattan (4). But (2) shuttles, few years ago, did run express from Atlantic to Franklin and then normal to Flatbush.

I wonder why they don't just make the New Lots shuttle the (3) then. The only difference is switching at Atlantic and skipping Hoyt, but it's still more of a (3), which isn't running anywhere else, than a (4), which is already running somewhere.

And as with the G. O. I wish they would use Marcy instead of Hewes, and then they could even send the (M) to one pocket while the (J) goes to the other, during regular weekday hours.

http://www.mta.info/...apOct312012.pdf

For people without PDF Files.

(1): Between 242nd & 34th St-Penn Station via LCL

(2): Between 241st & 34th St-Penn Station. EXP

(4): Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between Woodlawn and Grand Central via LCL.

2. Between Borough Hall and New Lots Av.

(5): Between Atlantic Av-Barclay Center & Flatbush Av via LCL

(6): Between Pelham Bay Park and Grand Central via EXP

(A): Between Jay St & Lefferts Blvd via LCL

(D): Between Atlantic Av-Barclay Center & Stilwell Av via 4th Av EXP

(F): Trains run in 2 sections.

1. Between 179th & 34th Sts via LCL

2. Between Jay St & Stillwell Av via LCL

(J): Between Jamaica Center & Marcy Av via LCL

(M): Weekend shuttle LCL

(N): Between Ditmars Blvd & 34th St via LCL.

(R): Between Jay & 95th Sts via LCL

For my alternative for people have $4 cash fare for E. River Ferry

My suggestion:

For (J) train, at Grand Central, M42 bus takes you to 42nd St/1st Av, few blocks walk to 34th St Pier at FDR Drive. During rush hour, you can flag blue East River Ferrry Shuttle Bus. Please flag at Lexington Av/42nd St bus stop (M101~M103)

You may also get off at any 34th St stations and take M34 +SBS+ before you board, get a receipt from machine) to East 34th St Pier. During rush hour, East River Ferry shuttle bus must be flag on west side of 34th St and east side of 6th Av.

Once at 34th St Pier, take East River Ferry for following options:

1. Schaefeller Landing for Queens-bound Q59 to Marcy Av Station for (J) train.

2. DUMBO for B25 to Jay St-MetroTech for (A)(F)(R) or Borough Hall (4).

I could tell you exactly what will be running tomorrow. But I'll let Wallyhorse or T to Dyre Ave handle that post. Let me just say that there won't be ANYTHING to Dyre Ave for a good while......no B/Q train either, paul.

Handle that post? You got it ;)

http://www.mta.info/status/1

Couldn't have said any better. And that's no joke.

As noted, whether the SF loop is flooded or not, an option IS to have the (1) terminate at Rector as long as it can after there safely complete going past the crossover south of Rector and use that to get the (1) back into Rector on the northbound track.

WHAT crossover south of Rector??? That was removed when the new terminal opened.

And for the record, the reason I've "been so quiet" tonight is I've been underground at Main St at work. Don't count on seeing ANY 7 service this week....

Archived