Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be in Times Square until 9pm Sunday. Do you think there will still be *any* Brooklyn-bound service at that time if a shutdown starts between 7pm and 3am? A 5 mile walk would be better than a 10 mile walk, so I won't be picky about which train I take to anywhere near Bay Ridge.

I wouldnt take any chances ending up stranded.

Stay on this page on the latest as you adjust your plans: http://www.mta.info/news/stories/?story=857

I hope that they extend Unlimited Ride Metrocards if service is suspended on part of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. If a business cannot cannot provide a service that was paid for, the business should provide a refund.

It is not possible to alter my plans. I would simply need to start walking at 9pm if there were no trains, local buses or express buses. Even if they ran single-tracking service once an hour on one or two key lines on Sunday evening, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise I guess I'm looking at a 5 hour walk back to Brooklyn.

But will they move trains from the Coney Island yard as well as buses from Spring Creek, Far Rockaway, and Flatbush depots?

Well what I am assuming is that definitely in an event of a shutdown most trains will be stored underground. In the case that there isnt a shut down they will suspend all weekday patterns and all express service throughout the system. Trains will need to be stored on the express tracks.

The MTA probably has some fine print terms (wherever they could be) that says the MTA will not refund customers because of circumstances out of our control blah blah blah.......

I hope that they extend Unlimited Ride Metrocards if service is suspended on part of Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. If a business cannot cannot provide a service that was paid for, the business should provide a refund.

It is not possible to alter my plans. I would simply need to start walking at 9pm if there were no trains, local buses or express buses. Even if they ran single-tracking service once an hour on one or two key lines on Sunday evening, that would be much appreciated. Otherwise I guess I'm looking at a 5 hour walk back to Brooklyn.

They would probably do it sunday till at least Tuesday night........i spent 40 hrs at work last time and let me tell it was something.......i kind of would like to stay home this time but i think i would consider going in....Its something else to see station usually flooded with pple so silent you could hear a pin drop !!!

I just got this text message as well from the (MTA):

A final decision on whether to suspend service will not be made until Sunday, but preparations must begin immediately for a possible suspension.

They probably should shut down as this expected to be MUCH WORSE than Irene was, though again, there will be those who will point out the system stayed open when Gloria came through in 1985 (and that was a Catergory 2 Hurricane that passed on Long Island, about 50 miles east) and feel the system should stay open here, not realizing how much our society has changed since '85 and how litigation-happy our society has become.

As for SEPTA, assuming power does NOT go out what probably will happen is the underground portion of the Market-Frankford Line plus the Broad Street line will operate (except at Fern Rock in the latter case) and the trolleys probably would operate to the portal on 40th Street and Baltimore/Woodland.

The Washington DC subway will still run underground service (on 40 minute headways) during major weather events. I'm not sure why the MTA couldn't run extremely limited service (such as the R train the full route, the C train the full route, and the D train 205th-34th) on extended headways during a severe storm, so that there is at least some service, even if trains arrive every 30 or 40 minutes. The express tracks would still be available for layups. And people would have some service if they absolutely needed to get somewhere, rather than risk injury by walking long distances in the weather if there were an emergency.

First of all, who the hell would be stupid enough to be out in that type of weather?

Second, did ever take into account for flooding?

MTA.info now redirects to alert.mta.info, which reads:

MTA preparing for system-wide shutdown

With Hurricane Sandy continuing on its northern path toward the New York City metropolitan area, bringing with her the potential for widespread flooding and severe wind damage, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has directed the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to begin planning for an orderly suspension of all subway, bus and commuter railroad service.

A final decision on whether to suspend service will be made by Sunday, but due to the logistics and the sheer size of the system, the MTA must begin preparing immediately for a possible suspension to protect its customers, its employees and its equipment.

“I have directed the MTA to put its Hurricane Plan into action to help New Yorkers prepare for the storm and protect the vital assets of the region’s transportation system,” Governor Cuomo said. “New Yorkers need to take action now to protect themselves, and as the transportation system prepares to possibly suspend service, no one should wait until the last minute to prepare.”

If a decision to suspend service is made by Sunday, New York City subways and buses would begin an orderly suspension of service at 7 p.m. Sunday. Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road would suspend service at 7 p.m. Sunday. Some lines may be curtailed over a period of several hours before all service is suspended, but no one would be able to rely on any MTA service after 7 p.m. Sunday.

The MTA Hurricane Plan is designed to secure equipment and protect employees before dangerous sustained winds of 39 mph or higher and storm surges of 4 to 8 feet reach the area. This process must begin hours in advance of the storm’s arrival, as thousands of rail cars, subway cars and buses must be pulled from service and stored safely.

“Suspending the largest transportation system in North America is a monumental effort, and it is imperative that we start the process before we make a final decision, and before the worst of Hurricane Sandy reaches us,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Joseph J. Lhota. “That means all of our 8.5 million daily customers need to prepare for the storm and be ready to complete their travels by 7 p.m. Sunday if necessary.”

MTA crews at Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad, MTA Bus and NYC Transit have begun to move rail cars, locomotives, subway cars and buses from low-lying yards and depots to higher ground as spelled out in the MTA Hurricane Plan. Crews across the network are also taking the necessary steps to prepare recovery equipment, clear drainage areas; and deploy sandbags and other protective materials at tunnel entrances, station entrances and other locations vulnerable to flooding. Taking these pre-emptive measures before the area begins to feel the full impact of the storm will help in the MTA’s recovery efforts after the storm passes.

Mass transit services would be restored following the storm only when it is safe to do so, after careful inspections of all equipment and tracks. There is no timetable established for restoration. Customers and the media should monitor the Service Status on mta.info or call 511 for the most current service information.

Visit the site for the rest of the story.

[float=left][/float]• All planned subway service changes this weekend are cancelled—with the exception of (7) and (J) changes planned for the and which are now scheduled through Saturday only. Visit our Planned Service Changes page for details.

• Access-A-Ride trips are only being scheduled one day in advance of travel for both Saturday, October 27 and Sunday, October 28.

• Please monitor mta.info to stay abreast of changes for all MTA services, as conditions demand.

Read more: Source

Which subway yards are prone to flooding?

I may take a personal day off from work personally. Depends how bad it gets by Monday, I'll play it by ear I guess.

i may too IF they dont shut down the system....if they shut it down you dont have to....if you cant make it to work, they are spose to pay you and not give you grief...as per the UNION

i may too IF they dont shut down the system....if they shut it down you dont have to....if you cant make it to work, they are spose to pay you and not give you grief...as per the UNION

Unfortunately working for this IT consulting firm, their benefits leaves much to be desired. Life is tough for people who are in IT contrary to polular belief. As of now I am not yet a civil service employee or working for a big time bank in the private sector. I will reach that goal one day but's thats another story.....

What's the latest scoop guys? MTA is shutting down or not? As of 8:30AM Sunday no news yet.

My guess is that any decision will not be final until at least mid afternoon. There's a few variables with this storm that have to be monitored before the decision is made. I think a shut down is immanent, but that's just my opinion.

The people that make the final decision are at a no win situation. They don't want to jump the gun an initiate a shut down on a prediction and when there is nothing more than a few rain showers get criticized. To the other extreme they don't want to keep service running and have the storm pound us and have trains and buses stranded all over the place.

To complicate matters with the railroads, you could have bad conditions to the north (Poughkeepsie or Wassaic) or to the east (Montauk or New Haven) but nothing in the city limits and vice versa.

As of right now Metro North has shut down train service on the Danbury Branch and have bustitude service for those passengers in order to "prepare for the storm". My best guess is they want to relocate those trains in the event the branch gets incapacitated similar to what happened a year or two ago.

Metro North has also cancelled the football train for today.

Archived