Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

I know subway equipment is being repositioned. Are there any depots subject to flooding?

Definitely Meredith Depot and likely Castleton Depot - Meredith is right on the Arthur Kill and both (in the case of CAS, the depot building, but not the yard) are in flood zone A. Buses there have likely been moved to either Charleston or Yukon.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is that any decision will not be final until at least mid afternoon. There's a few variables with this storm that have to be monitored before the decision is made. I think a shut down is immanent, but that's just my opinion.

The decision HAS BEEN MADE. The governor ordered the system to shut down.

MTA Directed to Move Foreward with System-wide Shutdown

The MTA has been directed by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo to begin an orderly shutdown and suspension of all subway, bus and commuter railroad service at 7 p.m. Sunday. The decision was made to protect customers, employees and equipment from the wrath of Hurricane Sandy as the strong storm continues its march up the east coast.

MTA Chairman and CEO Joseph J. Lhota announced that service on NYC Transit subways will be curtailed beginning at 7 p.m., and the bus network within the following two hours. Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad will start their finals trains by 7 p.m. from terminal locations. Subway and rail road stations will be closed after the last trains pass through stations. Outbound Access-A-Ride trips are being scheduled only until 12 p.m. today, and return trips will continue until 5 p.m. Any previously scheduled trips after that time, including subscription trips, are canceled.

Not surprised about the shutdown of the system. This storm is being unpredictable. 12 hours ago it was to make landfall around Atlantic City NJ, now it looks like its making landfall somewhere in Monmouth County.

The Washington DC subway will still run underground service (on 40 minute headways) during major weather events. I'm not sure why the MTA couldn't run extremely limited service (such as the R train the full route, the C train the full route, and the D train 205th-34th) on extended headways during a severe storm, so that there is at least some service, even if trains arrive every 30 or 40 minutes. The express tracks would still be available for layups. And people would have some service if they absolutely needed to get somewhere, rather than risk injury by walking long distances in the weather if there were an emergency.

The point of shutting down the system is for people to stay inside and hunker down, not risk their lives. And the reason the (MTA) is shutting down is because they understands that a good portion of its system is flood prone, especially Lower Manhattan and southern Brooklyn.

Unfortunately working for this IT consulting firm, their benefits leaves much to be desired. Life is tough for people who are in IT contrary to polular belief. As of now I am not yet a civil service employee or working for a big time bank in the private sector. I will reach that goal one day but's thats another story.....

What's the latest scoop guys? MTA is shutting down or not? As of 8:30AM Sunday no news yet.

oh sorry thought u worked for the TA...and yea as of 7pm system and buses are shutdown !

To get a comparison of the flooding potential, Hurricane Irene brought 4.12 feet of storm surge , which flooded Coney Island Yards and Lenox yards and the bridge(S) going to the Rockaways on the (A) got flooded . Meanwhile this will be potentially 1 to 7 feet more of flooding. If Jamaica bay sees 11 foot storm surge then the Flats will be flooded.

I should also add that 5 or more feet and the water overlaps the flood walls in lower Manhattan which will result in Battery park getting flooded along with potential for all the subways in the area to get flooded.

Well I guess I proved about 500 weathermen wrong. No hurricane here except for some winds. Nothing to talk about, just leaves on the ground.

The brunt of the storm hasn't hit yet, so don't go feeling all high and mighty ;)

Exactly, it will hit us by suprise with sudden torrents of rain and high winds.

Sarcasm detector not working.

My detector just went out too lol. :lol:

I'm on my way into work. Might be there for a few days from what I'm hearing from transit.

Don't worry you're not the only one. I'm actually on call in case something might will, must go wrong with the current assignment I am on. I'm PRAYING that they don't call me in out of the blue because of a router or server problem bringing down the network because of this storm. Which can indeed happen if the building experiences power surges frying equipment.

Edit: But least I don't have to go to the Cisco networking course tomm. That's been called off, thank goodness.

One question: I heard them say something about cross-honoring LIRR/MNRR passes and MetroCards, but how exactly does that work? Do you go to the ticket window and swipe your MetroCard to get a ticket? And then do you get charged $2.25 or the regular MNRR/LIRR fare (which in this case would be the CityTicket fare)

And vice versa. Do you flash your MNRR/LIRR pass/ticket and they give you a SingleRide ticket or what?

Archived