Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Someone said that the current LIRR stops aren't that well used?? In any event, if it doesn't take forever to get it up and running I say sure why not?? Quite frankly the transportation options suck down there. I mean having to depend on the (A) as your only alternative is just horrible...

Oh yeah I know...I lived there for like 3 years.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As per MTA info 11/09/12 at 6:05 PM:

N service has resumed between 59th Street (Brooklyn) and Coney Island (Stillwell Avenue)

I'm really surprised they were able to get the Sea Beach back in service this soon. I though it was going to be OOS for weeks. Job well done by the MTA and its crews.

as for the (R), im not trying to sound like a foamer but they can extend the (N) or the (Q) to forest hills, whats the point of running the (R) in 2 sections if the tube is nearly damaged, have the (R) only run between jay st and 95th st, astoria can deal with 1 line for the time being, it sucks having the (R) go only to 34th, it pointless for some people who have to go further down below 34th st, plus the (N) is only going to 59th st and 4th ave anyway

(Foam Alert - I had this in mind when I first read about the problems with Montague Tunnel earlier today)

Or they could have had the (N) and (Q) continue to serve Astoria and the (R) serve Forest Hills - as normal. With the following changes:

(N) - Ditmars to 34th St/Herald Sq. Weekdays only.

(Q) - Ditmars to Coney Island, via Manhattan Bridge, 24/7. Local in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

(R) - 71st/Continental to 95th St/4th Ave, via Manhattan Bridge, 18/7. Local in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Late night (R) shuttle extended to Pacific St to connect directly with (Q)(2)(4) trains.

But now that the (N) has resumed operating over the Sea Beach line, this is all moot.

I doubt the shuttle train will be ready, they trucked about 3-4 cars today, they trucked one this morning, the rest this eveing, so that about 8 cars in rock park so far, they have to re link em up and etc and brake tests and etc. to make sure these cars work, also they brought 6 more cars from pitkin yard via a diesel 3394/5 were in the consist, i forgot the rest

yep, and if they have enough buses not so packed but during the rush hours yeah they will be, people are questioning about the shuttle train, they are in the process of still trucking them, they already have 8 cars in Rock Pk yard (10 if they truck 2 more by tonight) so this may effect service if they restore the (A) in a result of (A)'s wrong railing between Howard Beach and south of Rockaway Blvd, 6 more cars were brought in by diesels earlier, this process got delayed because of the snowstorm wendsday, so yesterday they con't lifting the cars and putting them on flatbeds, and people who want this process to hurry up, you should relax, this is a very risky process, you have to make sure everything is safe including the workers, so its better for them to take much time as possible, the TA can't afford to loose more cars, they already lost 2 trainsets of R46's (people saying they are done, ill wait for someone thats official tell us whats going on) and a pair of museum cars (TOMC 9068/9) they were left out during the storm, so they are done (redbirds and salt water don't do well at all) and i think an R1/9 was out also and that R44, im not too sure, but 9068/9 im 100% sure since i saw it outside after the storm

This past week, the MTA urged (M) riders to use the (J) and transfer for the (F) at Essex because of overcrowding. The (L) had already been restored. What was/is going on? I haven't seen crush-loaded (M) trains in that part of Brooklyn since the 1970s.

If the problem with the (R) is the tube, so let them rehab the Whitehall St Station and then they can terminate (R) trains there.

So it would be:

(R) - Forest Hills - Whitehall St

(R) Jay St - Bay Ridge

While the Lower Manhattan section isn't avaliable yet, we can deal with the (R) terminating at 34th.

This is why one of the things I'd be looking at doing post-Sandy is to do enough work on the lower level of the City Hall (R) station so that in an emergency like this or something much shorter term that level can be used to service passengers as a terminal for the (R) As I would do it, it would be a barebones station with just enough work done to where passengers can use it when necessary due to either an emergency or in a few cases a big event outside City Hall (very similar to how the lower level of the Pattison-A T & T Station on SEPTA's Broad Street Line in Philly is barebones as its sole purposes are to be a terminal on game days for fans going to see games at the sports complex and otherwise for storage). This would allow the (R) to terminate on the lower level of City Hall if Whitehall is out like it is now, something I'm sure would have come in very handy and is just another thing that has to be looked at in the time ahead.

I agree with the LIRR option. It's a bit more expensive but at least it's faster than the (S) plus the shuttle bus and you'll get nice comfy chairs :P

In my view, I would be looking to temporarily charge the normal subway fare of $2.25 for those riding from Far Rockaway with a free transfer to and from the (E) or (J) at Sutphin Boulevard and/or Atlantic Avenue on the (L) until regular (A) service can resume (with those who have unlimited ride MetroCards allowed to use them as such with a special ticket, while those who pay at Far Rockaway would get a special MetroCard for transfer to the (E) or (J) at Sutphon Boulevard and/or (L) at Atlantic Avenue).. That would take a lot of pressure off the shuttle buses if that could be done until the regular (A) service to Far Rockaway can resume.

As said in the other thread on the (A), one thing I would be doing until regular (A) service can resume is to have a setup where the normal $2.25 subway fare is charged at Far Rockaway that would include a free transfer to and from the (E) or (J) at Jamaica Center or (L) at Atlantic Avenue since those are the closest stations to the LIRR Branch. That would take a LOT of pressure off the (A) Shuttle buses until the full Rockaway Branch can resume operations.

This past week, the MTA urged (M) riders to use the (J) and transfer for the (F) at Essex because of overcrowding. The (L) had already been restored. What was/is going on? I haven't seen crush-loaded (M) trains in that part of Brooklyn since the 1970s.

No that was Before the (L) arry Line was restored.. Now that its back different story..

and a pair of museum cars (TOMC 9068/9) they were left out during the storm, so they are done (redbirds and salt water don't do well at all) and i think an R1/9 was out also and that R44, im not too sure, but 9068/9 im 100% sure since i saw it outside after the storm

I'm stunned that they would leave museum cars out in the hurricane.

Speaking of which, what happened to the Slants that were at Beach 116th? I have pics of them so I'm not too bothered if they were destroyed, but I am very curious.

Archived