Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

Thanks guys. Sadly it looks like that brief period of time where the MTA was on top of its game is over. I mean, really, one line serving Broadway Local northbound? That's beyond stupid. They need to send those Qs local to help out the N. I can sort of understand on weekends where the Q turns at 57 St-7 Av, but during the weekdays, they're turning at Ditmars, so there's nothing prohibiting the Q trains from staying on the local tracks. And even on the weekends, if the R is in the way, couldn't the Qs run light to Queensboro Plaza and turn on the middle tracks there?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Q runs local in both directions according to the service plan. If the towers don't listen to the service plan, that is a different issue...

From what I have seen, it seems the intention of the MTA is to run the (Q) express northbound as every time I have seen it northbound, the signs always say Broadway Express.

Why doesn't the (R) just go to Canal and relay there, and then the (N) and (Q) would be normal? The damage didn't reach that station did it?

That is a good question. I wondered about that myself. Usually the (N) and (Q) trains that only run to 57th Street are stored there and I have seen the put ins in the afternoon rush with the NIS trains going to 57th Street and going back to service so they are definitely still doing those trips. If it is the same amount of trains, there would be no space to relay the (R) so who knows.

From what I have seen, it seems the intention of the MTA is to run the (Q) express northbound as every time I have seen it northbound, the signs always say Broadway Express.

That is a good question. I wondered about that myself. Usually the (N) and (Q) trains that only run to 57th Street are stored there and I have seen the put ins in the afternoon rush with the NIS trains going to 57th Street and going back to service so they are definitely still doing those trips. If it is the same amount of trains, there would be no space to relay the (R) so who knows.

They keep some (R) trains there too...

They keep some (R) trains there too...

Yeah, but generally during the midday, it is mostly R160s that are stored there and usually when you pass by riding the (R) to City Hall, the tracks are usually filled which is why I am just speculating that maybe there might be no space to relay. Obviously we don't know the real reason or if there is really any reason at all for (R) to not go to Canal Street. All I am saying is that, from what I have seen, it seems to me that the tracks to Canal Street upper level and City Hall lower level seems to be operational, at least enough to store trains there.

That is a smart idea, but problem with the Rockaway Flats is that the tracks go over a man made island, a part of it got washed away, so I don't think the Smarttrack would do any good if the problem is the man-made island...

I thought that was man-made... I keep hearing "damaged bridge". Did an actually bridge get destroyed, or are they referring to the man-made land?

Yeah, but generally during the midday, it is mostly R160s that are stored there and usually when you pass by riding the (R) to City Hall, the tracks are usually filled which is why I am just speculating that maybe there might be no space to relay. Obviously we don't know the real reason or if there is really any reason at all for (R) to not go to Canal Street. All I am saying is that, from what I have seen, it seems to me that the tracks to Canal Street upper level and City Hall lower level seems to be operational, at least enough to store trains there.

And a very questionable call given what has been going on. This is why I would do enough with the lower level of City Hall to be able to in an emergency (or when there is a major event at City Hall) use the lower level of City Hall as a terminal. This would not involve doing any thing fancy, it would be doing just enough to make the lower level a barebones station (like the lower level of Pattison-A T & T station on the Broad Street line on SEPTA in Philly that is only used on game days) that when needed is there if we should ever have anything like this again or a shorter emergency where Whitehall can't be used (or a G.O. and so forth).

You're like a dog with a bone. You're so fixated on this idea of turning City Hall into some kind of bare-bones terminal and I really don't understand why. Dump the train at Canal, run light to the lower level, change ends and head back uptown. Lather, rinse, repeat. That's way less involved and it doesn't require any work.

Besides, there are a couple of problems with your proposal.

1) The platforms aren't long enough for a full-length train. So, unless it's a lost M train of a really lost J train coming down Broadway, we'll be doing the whole "first five cars" thing anytime you use the station as a terminal. And you want to use it in an emergency GO situation like this one?

2) Turning City Hall lower into any kind of usable station isn't a simple matter of turning on the lights and adding a couple of garbage cans. If I'm not mistaken, there is one stairwell that goes from the lower level upstairs. You need multiple egress points so everyone isn't forced to use the one stairwell as the way out, especially in an emergency, such as an evacuation. Adding those additional stairs (and elevators if the ADA has a say), then City Hall (and the rest of the line between Canal St and DeKalb Av) would have to be shut down periodically to facilitate the construction. Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what R line riders want after having to deal with line closures that went on forever for Cortlandt St and Jay St. And for what, so City Hall can be a part-time emergency terminal? Not worth it.

Service Change Posted: 11/12/2012 5:51AM

No 1.png trains between Rector St and South Ferry

For South Ferry, use nearby 4.png5.png stations at Wall St and Bowling Green.

Please expect delays in 1.png train service at this time.

When did 1 service to Rector St actually resume? This was posted under the mta.info service changes on Monday morning but it wasn't announced by the MTAinsider twitter until Tuesday afternoon.

With most of CIY/Stillwell still out, its possible that all the trains are still stock filled, along with others said they only leave one spot open to relay middays, and its possible even that isn't available. I've had other friends lament this as well, but there must be some sort of logical reason. One has to wonder if the tracks at the LL sustained any damage, as if so its not a major cog in the system like the mainline and yards.

no roll sign for Rector. trains have been running with papers in the window displaying "242 to Rector". Roll signs for south destination from what I've seen are either "Chambers" or "Special"

"Chambers" is better than "Special." "Special" could be anywhere.

Is the J train back to Broad St?

According the MTA website is says good service by J.Can anyone confirm?

http://mta.info/

Weird. I see where it says Good Service if you click through to the main site, but if you look at the Weekender map, Fulton and Broad are flashing and it says no service between Chambers and Broad until further notice. (Granted, I wouldn't rely on the Weekender map for stations that are normally closed on weekends anyway.)

Is the J train back to Broad St?

According the MTA website is says good service by J.Can anyone confirm?

http://mta.info/

I don't think so. Most likely they're just already on some sort of weekend mode, since the J doesn't run past Chambers on Weekends anyway, it technically might have "good service". If you look up service announcements for monday, it still shows the J terminating at chambers.

http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=ALL&date=11/19/2012&time=&method=getstatus4

Archived