Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is some damn impressive work in that video Goji posted. I can't even imagine driving that truck through the windy, dark roads of the rockaways.

Let's just hope any malfunctions these R-32's have is minor, so they don;t have to get trucked back for major repairs. Are these some of the R-32's that recently had SMS done?

Most of the Cars were SMS'ed, only like 2 pairs out of all the cars weren't SMS'ed yet, but all cars had recived new brake shoes and etc. and alot of work done at pitkin yard before they were shipped out there

Am i the only one who doesn't see this as some amazing thing that never happened before? I mean they had a bunch of recent G.Os with the Shuttle doing roundabout service from rock park to mott ave with R42s and R32s, Plus, Last year they had the Shuttles signed up as (H) Trains anyways. Why is everyone foaming so badly?

From the mta website:

MTA Continues Work to Restore R Service Through the Montague Tube

NYCT_7469.jpg

The high winds and deep swirling waters generated by the most severe storm to ever hit the region drove hundreds of millions of gallons of salt water into the most vulnerable segments of the largest, most complex subway system in North America. The effects were devastating.

A storm surge, higher than had ever been recorded propelled New York Bay atop the sea wall at the Battery and into the streets of Lower Manhattan, flooding eight under river subway tubes that link Manhattan with either Brooklyn or Queens. The water poured in past blocked entrances, through covered sidewalk grates and into stations and tunnels, stretching for thousands of feet and rising as high as the ceiling in at least four of the tubes. The inrush of salt water caused severe damage to the electrical and mechanical equipment that keeps the trains running.

“One or two tubes flooded? Yes we’ve seen that and we have corrected those conditions in the past,” said Joe Leader, NYC Transit’s Chief Maintenance Officer. But to have eight tubes flooded simultaneously? Incredible. But we didn’t stand around debating the logistics of the job, we rolled up our sleeves and got to work.”

One by one, the tubes were reclaimed from the storm through the combined efforts of transit workers and machines. NYC Transit’s pump trains were called into action, along with portable pumps placed on work trains. Thousands of gallons per minute were pumped from each of the tubes. When finally dry, workers went in to assess the damage, clean debris that had been washed in, and begin repair and replacement of critical parts.

The Joralemon and Steinway tubes were the first two to be returned to service, allowing 4.png5.png trains to once again travel between Brooklyn and Manhattan and 7.png trains to run between Manhattan and Queens. Over the next several days, similar work was carried out on all of the affected tubes, but the biggest challenge was the Montague tube, supporting r.png trains service between Court Street, Brooklyn and Whitehall Street in Manhattan.

The tube bore the brunt of the historic storm surge in Lower Manhattan, and was flooded for a length of approximately 4,300 feet with water reaching the tunnel ceiling—about 15 feet. Submerged equipment included relays, switch machines and cables. Highly corrosive salt water severely damaged approximately 50 cables to Whitehall Street and Broad Street relay rooms, 48 signal locations with line and track relays, and other associated equipment. With the flooding in the Montague tube, the MTA is also addressing the extensive damage sustained at the Whitehall Street station, including the two escalators at the southern end of the station which have been compromised. The Whitehall Street pump plant was completely submerged, rendering all of the installed pumping equipment, electrical feeds, and controls inoperable. Track, third rail, and communications systems also suffered damage and is currently undergoing repair.

With the Montague tube out of commission, the r.png is one of three remaining subway lines not operating full service. Instead the r.png is operating in two sections: from 71st Av-Forest Hills to 34th St–Herald Square and Bay Ridge-95th St to Jay St –MetroTech. Approximately 95,000 daily riders still need to use other lines to reach nearby alternative stations.

Weeks of work lie ahead before trains can start rolling again. While a full assessment is being conducted, damaged relays are being replaced; cleaning and restoration of the track circuits and control circuits is also underway. Where damage is too extensive, circuit modifications may be necessary and when service is restored may entail the running of fewer trains at slower speeds. Restoration work also includes de-salinization, cable repair, elimination of grounds and operational tests.

Damage to electrical equipment was extensive with a total of 43 signal locations sustaining damage from salt water. The signal department replaced relays, transformers, resistors, fuses, LEDs, pins and switch machines and two power locations.All stop motors were removed prior to the storm except for one which was replaced.

With the clean-up of Hurricane Sandy still underway, it is only now becoming evident how much devastation was caused, but thousands of MTA workers continue to help get back up on its feet.

Am i the only one who doesn't see this as some amazing thing that never happened before? I mean they had a bunch of recent G.Os with the Shuttle doing roundabout service from rock park to mott ave with R42s and R32s, Plus, Last year they had the Shuttles signed up as (H) Trains anyways. Why is everyone foaming so badly?

Tell that to the people still going out there for something they already done...then watch as they claim they aren't foamers

Especially after they had to release drug addicts from that treatment facility.

I'm going to have to vote this as the "ignant" quote of the week. And I can say that cause I've lived out here 20 yrs. Its not like they are roaming around tryin to get their "fix" like they got infected by the t-virus or something.

Well, riding the train at the RFW though the absolute block seems to be pretty interesting....

I hope someone here makes a video at the RFW of the train traveling though the absolute block. :D

i like how people are talking smack about people going out there, you guys said the same shit last year and you guys were out there in packs last year the day after, of course alot of railbuffs are gonna go out there and grab shots, when do you see an 4 car R32 run in regular service, that shit hasn't happened since the mid 90's, so of coruse people are gonna go out there and enjoy it

i like how people are talking smack about people going out there, you guys said the same shit last year and you guys were out there in packs last year the day after, of course alot of railbuffs are gonna go out there and grab shots, when do you see an 4 car R32 run in regular service, that shit hasn't happened since the mid 90's, so of coruse people are gonna go out there and enjoy it

Don't you know? Documenting cool stuff is without a doubt the same as making ridiculous suggestions about routing so very present in these boards!! :rolleyes:

Next thing you know one will be a foamer just for being able to distinguish between two different types of cars.

Don't you know? Documenting cool stuff is without a doubt the same as making ridiculous suggestions about routing so very present in these boards!! :rolleyes:

Next thing you know one will be a foamer just for being able to distinguish between two different types of cars.

its quite aggervating when you have people like that, this is one main reason why the NY rail and Bus commuity is so hated by other fanners around the country, me for one is enjoying this while being glad that these people get to see some type of service, they talk smack about people foaming but they will be there the very next day, last year someone said the same thing, very next day there was a big flock of railfans on that 10 car R32 Shuttle, its rare to see a 4 car R32 running in service, something like this hasn't been done in a long time

The opening of a newly renovated Smith-9 Streets Station may be delayed due to Sandy. Opening date estimates at around Dec. 31 or after, (MTA) employees say.....

Damn.

it's bad enough that the station was originally supposed to re-open 7 months ago, and now this? Shakin' my head right now.......

Can we leave buses out of this? NOBODY likes buses. I like trains as much as anyone, but it just seems nutty to take a trip into Mad Max land just to ride/get a photo of a train.

Well, IMO if you have the free time to do so, then why not? There are far worse ways to spend your free time than traveling across town to ride a train. Just ask some high school students.

That is not meant to be an attack on high school students, being one myself.

I think buses are alright. Terrible capacity when compared to a train though.

I stand corrected....THIS is the most "ignant" comment.....ever!

Ignant isn't a word. Were you trying to say IGNORANT.....because if so, you better check who is calling who what. And that's the description that's been given to me by one of my friends who DOES live in Far Rockaway, and I've seen his photos too.

It's NOT mad max land. It's not the thunderdome!!! I live in the projects down here and it's been very quite. You guys need to grow up and throw your stereotypical crap elsewhere. You would be saying shit like that if you lived down here!!

Far Fock in some spots has a bad rep take it from somebody who lived in the City for most of his life..

It is what it is..

Don't know if this means much, but it seems the Broadway Line started running some rush-hour put-ins this week. My (N) Monday morning was a 57St-7Av express and I saw an OOS train on the express heading uptown at Union Sq yestarday afternoon around 5PM.

Also, almost didn't notice, but while I was waiting for my train home at Union Sq, a Brooklyn (Q) pulled in on the express. Guess that one snuck through...

Archived