Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

You shouldn't even be thinking about coming in tomorrow. I'm in my office now and a colleague of mine who lives in Yorkville was asking if I heard from our boss and I told her no and that there is no way that anyone can get into the tomorrow even folks like her that live here in the city because everything will be shut down. They don't want people out in this hence why they're shutting down service. Heed the advice and work from home!! I'm doing what I can now here in the office to get some things done for clients I have on the West Coast and then after that I'll be transferring some folders to a stick and heading home. I picked up some more grub from Whole Foods today, so I've got enough food (blueberries, brussel sprouts and such) to last me for a few days and plenty of Perrier and Volvic.

I'm surprised there were no lawsuits over people losing their jobs when Irene hit. I would not be shocked if at some point, someone goes into Federal Court and sues the MTA, the Governor and State, saying the Governor's order cost that person his or her job as such an employer demanded them to come into work anyway, even if they could not get there through no fault of their own, looking for a Federal Court to force the MTA to stay open no matter what and forbidding the Governor from shutting the system down, even if like in this case it was the right decision due to what likely would be massive lawsuits if people got stuck or worse were severely injured or died due to what happened.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised there were no lawsuits over people losing their jobs when Irene hit. I would not be shocked if at some point, someone goes into Federal Court and sues the MTA, the Governor and State, saying the Governor's order cost that person his or her job as such an employer demanded them to come into work anyway, even if they could not get there through no fault of their own, looking for a Federal Court to force the MTA to stay open no matter what and forbidding the Governor from shutting the system down, even if like in this case it was the right decision due to what likely would be massive lawsuits if people got stuck or worse were severely injured or died due to what happened.

I wouldn't either but what can they do? Bloomberg just canceled classes for tomorrow saying that it is very unlikely that public transit will be up and running anytime tomorrow. Nevertheless I still hear people going out and about. Tunnels and bridges are being closed and there is no public transit, so where in the hell are these people going??? Seriously, people are so stupid.

I wouldn't either but what can they do? Bloomberg just canceled classes for tomorrow saying that it is very unlikely that public transit will be up and running anytime tomorrow. Nevertheless I still hear people going out and about. Tunnels and bridges are being closed and there is no public transit, so where in the hell are these people going??? Seriously, people are so stupid.

They probably work for a shitty company that has no regard for their employees. Probably the company is still making the employees come in regardless of public transit and punishing people who don't come in.

They probably work for a shitty company that has no regard for their employees. Probably the company is still making the employees come in regardless of public transit and punishing people who don't come in.

Which is the reality of it, particularly with many of the small business companies. For any of those unfortunate enough to work for such bastard employers in that position, the proper authority to take that to is the Dept of Labor, seriously. The MTA did their part in protecting the public and their employees by means of a system wide shutdown.

Yeah which is why you should be suing your EMPLOYER, not the MTA. We gave sufficient notice that public transit would not be running, and sufficient time after that for everybody to get home. If you choose to ignore the notices, that's on you, not the MTA.

Well I think most places closed... I mean in reality it sucks because I had a ton of stuff due today and I already have one client out in LA b*tching but oh well. She gets it Wednesday or it is what it is. I mean there's nothing I can do.

;Monday and Tuesday Hurricane Sandy Alert ShortLine will suspend all services Monday October 29 and Tuesday, October 30, 2012 due to Hurricane Sandy. We want all our commuter, employees and everyone to be safe. At this time we anticipate restarting normal service on Wednesday morning, October 31. We apologize for any inconvenience; the safety of our customers and employees is our first priority. We will be posting updates based on resources (power & communication) available. Thank you for your understanding and continuing supportll .

Surge Response Task Force Created, Bringing State and Federal Officials from the Coast Guard, FEMA, and Army Corps of Engineers Together to Ensure Coordination for Surge Response and Recovery

More than 80 Pumps Stationed at World Trade Center Site for Surge Response, With Additional 250 Pumps On-Hand if Needed

Albany, NY (

October 29, 2012

)

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced that the Holland and Hugh Carey (formerly the Brooklyn Battery) tunnels will be closed effective at 2:00 PM, as Hurricane Sandy moves into the New York area.

Bridge Closures in the Event Wind Speeds Reach 60 MPH:

In the event that wind speeds reach 60 MPH, the following bridges will be closed:

Robert F. Kennedy Bridge

Throgs Neck Bridge

Bronx-Whitestone Bridge

Verrazano-Narrows Bridge

Henry Hudson Bridge

Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge

Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge

George Washington Bridge

Goethals Bridge

Bayonne Bridge

Outerbridge Crossing

Drivers should note that speeds will be restricted to 25 mph once winds reach 30 mph and access by trailers, motorcycles, vans, mini buses, and vehicles with unstable cargo will be prohibited when winds reach 50 mph. Some bridge restrictions are already in place.

Source Link /// Read More: http://www.governor....-tunnelclosings

UPDATE #01 - TAPPAN ZEE BRIDGE CLOSES AT 4:00PM EST AS ORDERED BY GOVERNOR ANDREW CUOMO OF NEW YORK.

Suspension bridges can possibly sway in ways due to high winds that makes it very dangerous to drive (or even collapse of sections of bridge infrastructure) along with overall severe wet conditions on the crossings, and underground tunnels which could go under water? That's what I'm technically getting from the governor's decision now that it's official.

Suspension bridges can possibly sway in ways due to high winds that makes it very dangerous to drive (or even collapse of sections of bridge infrastructure) along with overall severe wet conditions on the crossings, and underground tunnels which could go under water? That's what I'm technically getting from the governor's decision now that it's official.

I'm sure you're thinking about the "Galloping Gertie" suspension bridge in Washington State that collapsed from high winds. Engineers learned a lot from that accident and build bridges differently. I doubt the winds will take out a bridge. I agree that driving in windy conditions is the reason bridges are closed when there are high winds.

Archived