Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the service status is saying its SIR service suspended again. Could be IT dept doing maintenance on the website. Earlier this morning many of the portals was blocked to incoming traffic by the firewalls they are using on the server end. (Just my educated guess) So Shortline is right.

Edit: Never mind Lex you saw the change first by less then a minute.

Just heard that all buses and subway cars are okay even though some depots and stations flooded. As for Staten Island, I doubt the SIR would be able to fully run with the amount of flooding across the island particularly from Mid Island (i.e. South Beach, New Dorp/New Dorp Beach down to Tottenville). In any event Staten Island is still shut down.

UPDATE: Limited bus service to be restored starting around 17:00 today with full bus service expected tomorrow. For the anti-bus folks you'll be needing to use them if you expect to get around. It is estimated that it will take days before the subway system is fully up and running, maybe longer due to the amount of flooding and sea water in various stations. Also don't expect MetroNorth or the LIRR to be up for a while. Extensive damage to tracks with trees and flooding.

. Even MTA Headquarters fell to the storm, so this could be the very end of the subway system.

LOL

Dude we have survived 9/11 and the blackout of 03 in our recent history, One thing about New Yorkers is that we come together in are time of need so I think that the subway system will be back better then ever.

Just heard that all buses and subway cars are okay even though some depots and stations flooded. As for Staten Island, I doubt the SIR would be able to fully run with the amount of flooding across the island particularly from Mid Island (i.e. South Beach, New Dorp/New Dorp Beach down to Tottenville). In any event Staten Island is still shut down.

UPDATE: Limited bus service to be restored starting around 17:00 today with full bus service expected tomorrow. For the anti-bus folks you'll be needing to use them if you expect to get around. It is estimated that it will take days before the subway system is fully up and running, maybe longer due to the amount of flooding and sea water in various stations. Also don't expect MetroNorth or the LIRR to be up for a while. Extensive damage to tracks with trees and flooding.

The NYC buses dont help me. Even if wanted to go to Manhattan my only way via public transit is drive to Newburgh and catch the costly CUSA/Shortline bus. Or peak direction weekday only bus service to White Plains via Leprechaun. That is until Mero North is up and running again. With Wall St reopening on Wed Halloween 2012 those in Northern suburus like me are screwed.

http://leprechaunlin...CFY-d4Aod9FwAuQ

The NYC buses dont help me. Even if wanted to go to Manhattan my only way via public transit is drive to Newburgh and catch the costly CUSA/Shortline bus. Or peak direction weekday only bus service to White Plains via Leprechaun. That is until Mero North is up ad running again.

http://leprechaunlin...CFY-d4Aod9FwAuQ

Well yes, but I'm referring to mainly people in New York City...

how will people in brooklyn get to manhattan? I think there is only the Q60 bus that goes into manhattan

how will people in brooklyn get to manhattan? I think there is only the Q60 bus that goes into manhattan

They will be running free bus service for whatever service is available. As for tomorrow you may have to grab a taxi, as the mayor has signed an executive order for cabs to stop all over and pick multiple people up. From what I heard from Lhota, he plans on using the bus system to supplement the subways where possible so there may be some re-routing of sorts occurring.

It's called subway shuttles buddy not the same as duplicate bus routes like Q32 as they run when subways are down. Don't lump em in together.

Archived