Hurricane Sandy: Before and After the Storm: Subway service

Harry

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the MTA website:

MTA working to restore transit service in wake of historic storm

Thousands of MTA workers have begun to fan out through the system to inspect and begin repair of the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, a massively destructive storm of historic proportions. In the period of a few hours, seven East River subway tubes, two Long Island Rail Road tubes linking Manhattan with Queens and two vehicular tunnels were inundated by a wall of water, along with one subway bridge, three subway yards and six bus depots. However, there are some early signs of recovery.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced that five of the MTA’s seven bridges, the Robert F. Kennedy, Verrazano-Narrows, Bronx-Whitestone, Throgs Neck and Henry Hudson bridges, were fully inspected and reopened at noon. The two Rockaway bridges, Cross Bay Veterans Memorial and Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges bridges, and the Hugh L. Carey and Queens Midtown Tunnel remain closed.

The governor also announced partial restoration of bus service at 5 p.m. Buses will operate on a fare-free basis and on a Sunday schedule. A full schedule is expected for Wednesday. Rides will continue to be fare-free. “Our transportation system has never faced a disaster as devastating Hurricane Sandy, which has caused an unparalleled level of damage,” said MTA Chairman Joseph J. Lhota after inspecting many of the hardest-hit areas. “The challenge that we face now is one of assessment, inspection repair and restoration. This will not be a short process, but it will be one that puts safety as its major focus.”

The powerful storm affected service throughout the MTA service region. Metro-North Railroad lost electric power from 59th Street to Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line and east to New Haven on the New Haven Line. The Long Island Rail Road sustained damage in its West Side Yards and suffered flooding in two East River tunnels.

Bridges and Tunnels also suffered major damage with flooding of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel from end to end and the Queens Midtown Tunnel also taking on water. Six bus depots situated in low-lying areas were also disabled by high water. The MTA and its operating agencies have begun the lengthy process of assessment and repair. Damage has been extremely heavy in downtown Manhattan where several subway lines converge. The South Ferry station is filled track to ceiling with water as are several of the subway tunnels.

It is too early to say how long it will take to restore the system to full service. There is a separate process that must be followed for each division. Bridges and Tunnels’ two Rockaway bridges did not suffer any major damage but remain closed due to flooding in the surrounding adjacent roadways and neighborhoods. Water remains in both the Queens Midtown and Hugh L. Carey tunnels. Once water levels subside, the water must be pumped out and the tunnels thoroughly inspected by engineers. Subway trains and buses must be inspected along with 5,600 buses, 6,200 subway cars, 600 miles of tracks and 468 subway stations. Metro-North Railroad and the Long Island Rail Road must take a close look at hundreds of miles of tracks, switches, railroad crossing and cars and locomotives.

At first light today, Metro-North dispatched diesel-power patrol trains on all three lines, Hudson, Harlem and New Haven, to inspect tracks and remove fallen trees along the way. In Ossining, they encountered a 40-foot boat blocking the tracks. Carrying track workers with chain saws, signal maintainers and power department personnel, the trains made slow progress as they encountered numerous trees snapped and lying across the tracks and hung up in the overhead catenary wires that power the New Haven Line.

In some cases, the wires were torn town. Elsewhere, heavy trees have crushed the third rails that power Hudson and Harlem line trains. However, on a positive note, shops and yards in New Haven and Stamford appear to have been unscathed by the storm.

This is will be an exhaustive, time-consuming process with one goal: to restore safe and efficient service to 8.5 million daily MTA customers. It must be noted, however, that this process could have taken much longer had we not taken the pre-emptive measure of suspending all service to safeguard our equipment and prepare facilities to the best of our ability.

Chairman Lhota added, “Our employees have shown remarkable dedication over the past few days, and I thank them on behalf of every New Yorker. Our employees have never faced a challenge like the one that confronts us now. All of us at the MTA are committed to restoring the system as quickly as we can to help bring New York back to normal.”

I think they should restore G service (if not flooded) first with six-car trains. As part of this, I think the G should resume a temporarily extended service from Jamacia-179th Street to Kings Highway. (Basically, the G would operate as a F/G combo for the time being.

I think they should restore G service (if not flooded) first with six-car trains. As part of this, I think the G should resume a temporarily extended service from Jamacia-179th Street to Kings Highway. (Basically, the G would operate as a F/G combo for the time being.

Actually that a possiblity. Chairman Lhota stated in this morning (10/30/12) press conference that all (6) Manhattan-Brooklyn tubes which of course includes the (F) Rugtres Tunnel.

Guys lets not forget service to Coney Island and the Rockaways may not return until next week at the earliest.

Just got word 207 street on the (A) is under water. Don't know if those 2 46's are damaged or they moved them. I'm on my way to 207 Yard to see whats up..Pics to come, stay tuned....

Thanks for keeping us informed of that situation.

The station terminal itself is completely submerged in millions of cubic feet of water. That should give us an idea of the current physical state of the subway tunnels and the river tubes themselves leading into Brooklyn. Total complete devastation.

The State of New York along with the US Federal Government must hurry up and accept that the fact levees and seagates must be constructed to prevent such rampant destruction from ever occurring again. Complete their geological surveys and engineering studies at least. I'm no scientist but I really do not see any other alternative to protect vulnerable areas of New York City prone to violent storm surges such as what we have just experienced.

...... all (6) Manhattan-Brooklyn tubes......

Can we please leave the fantasy maps until we actually get some REAL trains moving????

Just got word 207 street on the (A) is under water. Don't know if those 2 46's are damaged or they moved them. I'm on my way to 207 Yard to see whats up..Pics to come, stay tuned....

When I went by 207 St yard around 2230 Sunday night, it was EMPTY. Only the 110's remained in there, and despite objections from some of you in here, saving those is hardly a priority.

The (G) service idea is actually quite possible unless Newton Creek overflowed into the tunnels. And even then, the (G) could just short-turn at Bedford/Nostrand.

Other lines I think could be restored within 48 hours include:

- (M) service from Middle Village to Marcy Avenue

- (J) service from Jamacia Center to Marcy Avenue

- (L) service from Canarsie (if it isn't flooded) or Broadway Junction (if Canarsie IS flooded) to Bedford Avenue (if Bedford Avenue is not flooded.) If Bedford Avenue is flooded, this is most likely not possible.

- (6) service from 3rd Avenue to Pelham Bay Park

- (4) service from Grand Concourse/149th Street to Woodlawn

- (S) service along Franklin Avenue (if Prospect Park isn't flooded)

- POSSIBLY Airtrain JFK could run service (for free or typical NY Subway fare temporarily) to link Jamacia with South Queens. However, it is possible the open cut south of Federal Circle and the at-grade stretch between Federal Circle and Lefferts Bvld. (where the yard is) are still underwater..... Does anyone know if it was?

- (7) service from Flushing/Main St. to Queensboro Plaza, if Corona Yard wasn't flooded... does anyone know if it was?

Of course.... if some lines are not connected to yards that are not flooded or do not have any trains stored on them, then it would be impossible to start them up until proper rolling stock can be found.

The (G) service idea is actually quite possible unless Newton Creek overflowed into the tunnels. And even then, the (G) could just short-turn at Bedford/Nostrand.

Other lines I think could be restored within 48 hours include:

- (M) service from Middle Village to Marcy Avenue

- (J) service from Jamacia Center to Marcy Avenue

- (L) service from Canarsie (if it isn't flooded) or Broadway Junction (if Canarsie IS flooded) to Bedford Avenue (if Bedford Avenue is not flooded.) If Bedford Avenue is flooded, this is most likely not possible.

- (6) service from 3rd Avenue to Pelham Bay Park

- (4) service from Grand Concourse/149th Street to Woodlawn

- (S) service along Franklin Avenue (if Prospect Park isn't flooded)

- POSSIBLY Airtrain JFK could run service (for free or typical NY Subway fare temporarily) to link Jamacia with South Queens. However, it is possible the open cut south of Federal Circle and the at-grade stretch between Federal Circle and Lefferts Bvld. (where the yard is) are still underwater..... Does anyone know if it was?

- (7) service from Flushing/Main St. to Queensboro Plaza, if Corona Yard wasn't flooded... does anyone know if it was?

Of course.... if some lines are not connected to yards that are not flooded or do not have any trains stored on them, then it would be impossible to start them up until proper rolling stock can be found.

The 7 train Corona Yard is a flood prone area. Many Casey Strengel buses were to be moved out of the area to the higher ground.

Some bus routes have gone into operation. But WHERE can you buy a Metrocard if subway stations are closed? Who carries $5.50 in coins to ride an express bus?

The Fare is free today and tommorow (Wednesday)...unless subways is operating...if it is operating :(

Only the 110's remained in there, and despite objections from some of you in here, saving those is hardly a priority.

Aww, you're no fun. :(:(:(

I'm kidding, I'm kidding! But in all seriousness, thanks for the update guys. I'm interested in knowing the fate of the R46s parked there...

Archived