Stop-skipping mulled by MTA to speed up service

Trainspotter

Stop-skipping mulled by MTA to speed up service

By Marlene Naanes | mnaanes@am-ny.com

amNY.com

July 22, 2008

subway_crowded.JPG

Overcrowded subway trains would skip certain stations during rush hour under a plan New York City Transit is considering to speed up lagging service.

One of the slowest trains, the (4), had an on-time record of only 70 percent in May, according to the latest statistics, underscoring the need to find solutions quickly, agency officials said.

But transit advocates immediately expressed skepticism, especially since transit officials stopped skip-stop service on the former (9) line in 2005.

"If you were along the part of the line that was skipped, you hated it," said Gene Russianoff, a staff attorney for the Straphangers Campaign, an advocacy group. Skip-stop train service also can confuse riders, advocates said.

"People run down the stairs and jump on and realize it's not the train they want and have to get off and change," said Bill Henderson, head of the Permanent Citizen's Advisory Committee to the MTA.

(4) train riders were mixed on the idea.

"It's a great idea as long as it doesn't skip me," said Katy Burke, 23, of Throgs Neck.

Some riders weren't opposed to the plan, so long as it was clear which stations would be skipped.

"Anything that helps, anything that makes it faster is a good idea," said Donna McCabe, 34, of Bay Ridge.

Advocates noted that the service has worked for several years on the (J) and (Z) lines, which run through Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. Transit spokesman Paul Fleuranges said the service is merely being considered right now.

"The fact of the matter is it may not be practical in Manhattan," he said. "That is to be determined."

For at least one MTA board member, anything idea that speeds up trains is welcome. On-time trains have decreased by 5 percent between 2003 and 2007, according to transit stats.

"Just do it because this decline is astonishingly bad," said board member Mark Lebow. "So I encourage you, think up something and do it."

I think there should be skip stop service where possible in the whole system where a train would normally be running local. The (J)(Z) and (7)<7> are perfect examples.

It would help people towards the non manhattan sections get places faster.

Also i think they should return the (9) and run it skip-stop where it doesn't run with the (2) and (3). Maybe even run it express from 34th st penn station to 14th st to chambers st to south ferry.

- Andy

I think there should be skip stop service where possible in the whole system where a train would normally be running local. The (J)(Z) and (7)<7> are perfect examples.

- Andy

Um, (7)<7> is local/express. I see no need for skip-stop there.

Possibly bring (1)(9) skip-stop with (1) station then (9) station then both until 96 St, and then skip stop everything south (except express stations) until Chambers, if they're desperate.

As for the (4)... have a <4> maybe? I can't see skip-stop in Manhattan along the Lex.

Possibly bring (1)(9) skip-stop with (1) station then (9) station then both until 96 St, and then skip stop everything south (except express stations) until Chambers, if they're desperate.

As for the (4)... have a <4> maybe? I can't see skip-stop in Manhattan along the Lex.

I meant (1) station then (9) station then both, and then repeat.

Ya i know its (7)local/<7>express. My point was oft stopping trains and not so oft stopping trains can run on the same line. That being said, the flushing line has larger headways than the irt west side line, so it'd be not as easy to find the space. If they can find the space, they should have it be (1)(9) and (2)(3)! :P

- Andy

Archived