Slow decade for new buses?

With the 2000 Orion V CNGs slowly retiring, any ideas as to if this will be a busy decade for NICE to by new buses after this 3G VII CNG order? I'm guessing they will order only about 200 new buses between now and 2019.

The Orion VII CNG buses probably won't be retired until 2021 the earliest.

The Orion VII CNG buses probably won't be retired until 2021 the earliest.

Depends what models you're talking about.

The maintenance at NICE and LIB may have shortened the life span of the buses (the 1700s and 1800s), I'm not sure. You may want to ask people who know more about the subject than just us.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see NICE getting Nabi 40LFW 3G CNGs #1000-1124.

Where does that numbering come from? I think NICE plans to continue with the current numbering system and keep going up.

True, from what I've seen, those buses appear to be very durable. But they will most likely get 40ft CNGs.

I don't see NICE going for NABI, but more likely for New Flyer CNGs. Any buses they get, if not artics, will be 40 ft CNGs.

I don't see NICE going for NABI, but more likely for New Flyer CNGs. Any buses they get, if not artics, will be 40 ft CNGs.

It's transit anything can happen. You have to consider every other bus builder except Novabus (Novabus doesn't have a CNG option as of yet).

True, from what I've seen, those buses appear to be very durable. But they will most likely get 40ft CNGs.

That's what a 40C is..... A 40 footer.....

15 year is the max for CNG buses!

Not anymore, CNG tanks last up until 20 years now. The question is, will the buses themselves hold? Orion claims that the VII can last up til 18 years.

The warranty on the tanks depends on the manufacturer. The ones New Flyer now uses are certified for 20 years. The average, and most popular option was 15 years.

Bus warranties are also agreements between the manufacturer and the agency. Some require buses last 12 years, and other require them to last 18.

The warranty on the tanks depends on the manufacturer. The ones New Flyer now uses are certified for 20 years. The average, and most popular option was 15 years.

Bus warranties are also agreements between the manufacturer and the agency. Some require buses last 12 years, and other require them to last 18.

Thanks for the clarification. I can eventually see NABI's 40/45C and NFI's X40 as major players in the "Next Gen" bus industry. Only problem for NABI would be the cost of the bus itself, in contrast to it's competitors.

Do you know when New Flyer went to 20 year certified tanks? as most systems was 15 year certified tanks.

Not anymore, CNG tanks last up until 20 years now. The question is, will the buses themselves hold? Orion claims that the VII can last up til 18 years.

Pretty sure Orion was still using 15 year tanks.

It's transit anything can happen. You have to consider every other bus builder except Novabus (Novabus doesn't have a CNG option as of yet).

It was reported last February that NovaBus will introduce a CNG version of the LFS in 2013 (or whenever they win their first bid for CNG buses).

It was reported last February that NovaBus will introduce a CNG version of the LFS in 2013 (or whenever they win their first bid for CNG buses).

That will be interesting to see who gets the contract for future CNG buses. Thanks for the info by the way.

I don't think they will go with Novabus. They would need time to test their bus before they could sell it.

Not necessarily - Gillig did the Altoona test for their CNG version of the Low Floor only a few months before they delivered production buses to Akron Metro, so they must have bid on that order before the testing was done.

Archived