Slow decade for new buses?

The Orion VII CNG buses probably won't be retired until 2021 the earliest.

If they're like most Orion buses - the tanks are certified for 15 years, and as such, they will need replacement in about 3-4 years. The new C40LFs, on the other hand, will not have to be replaced until 2031-2 on tanks alone (if the bodies hold up that long); they have 20 year tanks.

It's not about when Nassau/Veolia/nice decides to retire the buses that will cause them to order buses but rather when Nassau/Veolia/nice gets funding for new buses. ;)

Which will probably come again in the next two-three years to fully retire the rest of the Orion Vs. Who knows, it may even come next year for all we know.

According to this notice from Nassau County, they are requesting Federal funds to purchase 40 CNG buses in fiscal year 2013. Adding these units to the 43 buses currently on order would allow NICE to replace almost all of the 2000-2002 Orion V's.

http://www.nassaucou...nts/2013POP.pdf

Well, given the time to get the funds and the order to be placed, the buses would probably not arrive until 2014.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They are suppose to get about 40 new CNGs next year (what model, I don't know).

Where are you getting all this information? IF that is true, they're better off buying an artic demo first and testing it out on some NICE routes and if that works out, maybe buy 30 of them. Imagine seeing this at NICE:

I agree and not 30 to start. Also think of the requred training there probably are not many (if any) experienced nice drivers. Does anyone know how long it takes for an experienced B/O to be trained to drive an artic?

When the MTA Nova Artics were being sent down to NJ the comany contracting the deliverys they were having a hard time keeping up and offered drivers an incentive to go uo to Plattsburgh and take them down. It was a good amount of money for a days work (day and a half depending on where you're from). Anyway, they always tried to get to take artics down to NJ, I'd tell them I've never driven an artic before and always be assured "it's not that different than a 40' straight bus." I'd say No, no, no... I really wish I had now that I look back on it but was afraid I'd take out a toll booth or something. :D

I agree and not 30 to start. Also think of the requred training there probably are not many (if any) experienced nice drivers. Does anyone know how long it takes for an experienced B/O to be trained to drive an artic?

Well, the 30 I suggested would only be after NICE has tested a demo artic and see if they could fit them on the routes most needing like the n6. I said 30 artics because isn't that around the same amount of money that it costs to buy 40x 40' buses. 30 would also be sufficient enough to handle rush hour loads on the routes to/from Jamaica that are always insanely packed.

Archived